Where do Osteopathic residents work after residecy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Osteopathic hospitals" generally refers to hospitals established/controlled by osteopathic physicians. They exist usually because local DOs had difficulty getting admitting privileges in established hospitals. Massapequa General Hospital in Nassau County, NY was an osteopathic hospital established for that reason. It closed down while I was in school. Botsford Hospital in Michigan and Doctors Hospital in Ohio are osteopathic hospitals also in that sense.

Many osteopathic hospitals had bad reputations. I think, though, that this may have been due to these places typically being smaller community hospitals where you weren't exactly getting state of the art care.

Nowadays it seems the exclusively osteopathic hospital has fallen by the wayside. Due to improvements in our education in the last 50 years and the more mainstream acceptance of DOs into "MD hospitals" the need for osteopathic hospitals isn't really there anymore.

Osteopathic Hospitals do not mean only osteopaths work here, usually it means that we have osteopathic training programs to train future physicians. Our hospital has over 600 physicians on staff with close to 100 of those as MD's including department chairs in Pediatrics and Pathology. We have physicians that did osteopathic residencies here in medicine and ortho just to name a few who went on to do fellowhships at Harvard, NYU, Beaumont hospital here in MI(allopathic programs). These physicians (and others)practice state of the art medicine and our excellent teachers. As far as state of the art care, we do have cardiac cath, brand new cancer center, in house radiation oncology, MRI, etc....Being a community hospital and osteopthic does not mean inferior care or practicing old world medicine. If you have any concerns just check out our website. www.botsford.org

Kevin Frankel DO FAAFP
Physician Director of Clerkship
Botsford Hospital

Members don't see this ad.

Osteopathic Hospitals do not mean only osteopaths work here, usually it means that we have osteopathic training programs to train future physicians. Our hospital has over 600 physicians on staff with close to 100 of those as MD's including department chairs in Pediatrics and Pathology. We have physicians that did osteopathic residencies here in medicine and ortho just to name a few who went on to do fellowhships at Harvard, NYU, Beaumont hospital here in MI(allopathic programs). These physicians (and others)practice state of the art medicine and our excellent teachers. As far as state of the art care, we do have cardiac cath, brand new cancer center, in house radiation oncology, MRI, etc....Being a community hospital and osteopthic does not mean inferior care or practicing old world medicine. If you have any concerns just check out our website. www.botsford.org

Kevin Frankel DO FAAFP
Botsford Hospital

This is misleading. Most places will make you jump through hoops if you want an MD fellowship after a DO residency especially in IM. Specifically for IM, if you want cardio, GI, Heme/Onc (the so called big 3) you better look at the match lists for the hospitals you are interested in. Small community hospitals do much much worse in this regard. Larger university hospitals, which are almost always MD, do much better. I find this above post hard to believe, more like an advertisement then help.

MD might look cooler, but DO is a verb. See, the real difference between allopathic physicians and osteopathic physicians is that osteopathic phsicans are men and women of action. Hence why the postnominal is DO. After all, have you ever heard of someone MDing another person. You hear about people DOing other people all the time...

/tongue in cheek.

Let's do the DO!! Rockin docs.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe they referred to des peres hospital as osteopathic because their residency programs are osteopathic.

Des Peres is the old Normandy South of St. Louis, which along with Normandy North was the largest Osteopathic teaching hospital in Missouri after University Hospital at UHSCOM shut its doors.

Kevin Frankel DO FAAFP
Botsford Hospital

Sorry, were you disputing my post or advertising for your hospital? I was pointing out what the term "osteopathic hospital" used to mean, and Botsford most definitely is an osteopathic hospital in the sense that it was established by and for DOs. This is easily verified on the Botsford web site.

(By the way, the small community hospital I'm training in now has more than double the beds of your AOA flagship institution.)

Last edited:
Ouch, I can not believe the beating the OP took in this thread. He said he should have been specific and clarified his question in a later post. Why can't we all be a bit civil?

If you want names of attending physicians on staff who completed not only Im residency here at botsford and fellowships at Beaumont(heme onc), ortho DO residency at Botsford and fellowship in Trauma(Mass General), Spine(NYU), radiology resident going to Beaumont(900 bed md institution) for fellowhisp in Body Imaging, radiology resident to University of Iowa for Muskuloskeletal radiology fellowship, Ent resident to St.vincent indinapolis for Head and Neck surgical fellowship. This may be hard for you to believe but if you PM me I can give you the phone number of any of these individual you wish. This is not an advertisement I am just trying to show those interested that you can go to an osteopathic hospital and do an ostepathic residency and if interested do an allopathic fellowship and dispel myths of people who do not speak from actual experience. This happens here every year for 4-5 of our graduating residents and would be more then happy to supply anyone who asks a list.

"Osteopathic hospitals" generally refers to hospitals established/controlled by osteopathic physicians. They exist usually because local DOs had difficulty getting admitting privileges in established hospitals. Massapequa General Hospital in Nassau County, NY was an osteopathic hospital established for that reason. It closed down while I was in school. Botsford Hospital in Michigan and Doctors Hospital in Ohio are osteopathic hospitals also in that sense.

Many osteopathic hospitals had bad reputations. I think, though, that this may have been due to these places typically being smaller community hospitals where you weren't exactly getting state of the art care.

Nowadays it seems the exclusively osteopathic hospital has fallen by the wayside. Due to improvements in our education in the last 50 years and the more mainstream acceptance of DOs into "MD hospitals" the need for osteopathic hospitals isn't really there anymore.

My comments regarding Botsford were not an advertisement but trying to clarify that you can get state of the art care at a smaller community hospital(300 bed) and that your hospital (600 bed) probably does not constitue a small community hospital. I am not trying to compare a yours vs mine just trying to point out that there are small community hospitals that not only provide state of the art care but send residents each year to not only osteopathic felllowships but sought after allopathic fellowships as well. This was not meant to be a pissing match but yes I do disagree with the statement that there is no need for osteopathic hospitals. Unless you plan on eliminating the profession altogether(which you may) with over 20 osteopathic schools graduating residents if you do not keep some of the osteopathic training programs there is not enough quality allopathic or dually accredited programs to satisfy all the graduating osteopathic residents. So yes I do feel a need for osteopathic hospitals not only for training but some of us still our training our residents in osteopathic techniques to use on the hospitalized patients that is likely not occuring with many DO's in allopathic programs.

MD might look cooler, but DO is a verb. See, the real difference between allopathic physicians and osteopathic physicians is that osteopathic phsicans are men and women of action. Hence why the postnominal is DO. After all, have you ever heard of someone MDing another person. You hear about people DOing other people all the time...

/tongue in cheek.

This post brought excitement and joy to my otherwise dull day. I will be using this for years to come. Thank you Siggy,

P.S. - Can I use this as my signature?

Just showing some love for Botsford, I did my EMT-B training there <3