where do you see yourself in 10 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

razmataz

EtOH Tester
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotten this question a couple times at interviews. i have said i see myself as a doctor (duh), most likley in a hospital setting, maybe doing research or something. I dont really say much else because i honestly do not know what will happen and where the right fit will be for me. anyone else want to add some input to this question? Do the interviewers want to see that you have thought more about where you think you will end up???

Members don't see this ad.

Celebrating the 10th year anniversary of you asking me this question.

-In loving memory of Mitch Hedberg

i did a search but every word used in this question is considered common and i didnt feel like looking back through pages and pages of posts

Members don't see this ad :)
razmataz said:
I have gotten this question a couple times at interviews. i have said i see myself as a doctor (duh), most likley in a hospital setting, maybe doing research or something. I dont really say much else because i honestly do not know what will happen and where the right fit will be for me. anyone else want to add some input to this question? Do the interviewers want to see that you have thought more about where you think you will end up???

That question bugs me. I think if we have to avoid cliches like "I want to help people", they should help us by avoiding equally cliche questions like, "where do you see yourself" and "why do you want to be a doctor". It's like they set us up for a crappy answer.. I mean, you can say, "I want to be a neurosugeon"...but then you look naive, or you can say, "I don't know, hopefully in a hospital, that's where you come in...eh? *elbow nudge, elbow nudge* eh?"

I'm sure there is a balance though... You could probably frame your answer to talk about your ability to have an open mind and adapt to change, that you have general interests but don't know for sure, and that you want to go to X school of medicine because you have heard they have good Z and Y programs, and after all there is no way to tell exactly where medicine will be by the time we are practicing, but of course you think this is very exciting, yada yada

I also wonder if it might be adventageous to just make up an interest, any interest, and pretend that it is what you were born to do. Seems sleezy, I know, but it might work. And it wouldn't have to be a total lie... I love neuroscience... but I'm not sure if I "see myself" setting up a non-profit alzheimer's clinic, for example, but I could. Ideas?

What are they really asking? What is this question supposed to reveal about you?

1. Who are you? What specialty do you think you'd fit in? Where in the country do you think you'd live? (many schools have regional focuses) Do you see yourself in academic or clinical medicine?

2. Do you know enough to answer the question intelligently? This tests your research and preparation.

How many people do you think answer, "Completing a [enter prestigious and cliche residency here]." and then have never even researched that field? Do you wannabe that guy?

Andrew_Doan said:
There's no correct answer. Just pick what you want to do and state it! If it's academic, then talk about your academic career. If you want to work for the underserved, then say that.

I told them I'd be in residency working my tail off in 10 yrs...

Just be honest so that you can support your answer!!!

Sound advice.

See...this is what I mean. Have you spoken to any Doctors? I mean how much experience do you really have? I agree with one of the posts be honest. Let's see...

4 years medicine (could take year to do research)
2-3 years residence (then you can go into private practice)
or
2-3 years fellowship (for those pursuing academic careers)
tenure track

or if pursuing research (1 or 2 postdoc for 3-5 years each)

and that's just to practice in hospital setting. And depending on specialty your residency could be longer!

Then there are other options: medical artist; forensic medicine; pharmaceutical company; editor of major journal.

there's always honesty: "hopefully out of residency and paying back student loans".

I've gotten this question, and I ask whether they mean personally or professionally. That usually stops them for a few seconds.

ShyRem said:
there's always honesty: "hopefully out of residency and paying back student loans".

I've gotten this question, and I ask whether they mean personally or professionally. That usually stops them for a few seconds.

"10 years closer to my real goal - retirement".