Where do you stand? (Acceptances/ Waitlists/ Rejections)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Christiangirl, Crafty, and others in limbo:

More waiting. Eeeeesh.

Look on the bright side: one less acceptance now that caffeinegirl's bound for San Francisco.

If it's any consolation, I talked to LOTS of people at Second Look Weekend whether they were going to Duke for sure, or were still deciding (it was the big conversation-starter that weekend.)

I spoke three people who were definitely going, one who was definitely not, and about forty others who were still making up their minds. In some cases they had it narrowed down to two places (often Wash U versus Duke, sometimes Hopkins versus Duke). More often, though, they were deciding between more than two (one person was trying to choose between Duke, Yale, Columbia, Hopkins and one or two others...)

I think MUCH will happen around May 15th.

Best of luck. I've been thinking about you guys a lot during this process, and hope it works out.

Keep me posted.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Rza. The office told me that the rank is set in stone, but you can send supplementary materials supposedly. I could get an award for stalking this school that's for sure.
smile.gif
It's become an obsession almost...
smile.gif
They said supp materials will have no bearing on moving one up. I honestly have my own theory about ranking of lists, but I will keep it to myself as I am not sure if it true. I don't know. A friend of mine got in last year from the waitlist and she believes bugging them helped. But it is a risk and I know that they frown on it more than most schools and it could lead to bad or good things. I don't know.... Are you on the infamous list as well?
smile.gif
If so, best wishes to you.

p.s. Thank omores!! I'll keep you and everyone else posted!! With my determination and a little help from God, I'll get to meet you in August.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited April 25, 2001).]

Hey christian girl: Give it up already, you know that if you have not gotten in by now, then you are not gonna get in. So go lick your wounds and try again next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell that to the 25+ people who got off Duke's waiting list last year. My host got off two weeks before the start of classes.

I'm going to go with omores on this one. There are a significant number of student off of the waitlist who are in the first year class at Duke.
Also, at second look, the majority of the 100 participants were choosing between Duke and another well-ranked school. After the weekend, it was still split. That just shows that the chances of getting admission from the waitlist is still a strong possibility.
Keep the hope Christiangirl!
smile.gif

Hey Christiangirl: These guys are just BS'ing you. Duke's class only has room for two more students. If you wanna have a shot write a letter of rejection to them so that they know you mean business. That will get their attentionn and will prompt them to accept you.

------------------
I don't follow tha drugz, tha drugz follow me

Josejalepeno -
I do not have time to waste on people like you who choose to use this forum to spread negativity and to try to discourage other people. By the way, once again thanks to my girls omores and caffeinegirl. You all have been awesome and I appreciate it so very much!!
smile.gif
In the words of Maya Angelou,
"Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise"
I am no longer afraid of not getting into Duke, so nothing you say can or will inspire that. I am sorry if things are not going well for you in this process, so you feel to need to try to bring others down with you. I will say a prayer for you tonight in hopes that the bitterness leaves your soul. You have no idea how many students Duke has room for because they will NOT share that information with anyone. Believe me, I have tried to get it and so have many others.
smile.gif
Last year they took 15 off the waitlist and the year previous 30. I will not listen to people like you except to use that as motivation to prove you wrong. So, thanks for those words...
smile.gif
I love a challenge and you just added more fuel to my fire. I will be sure to email you WHEN I get off the list.
smile.gif
I believe in a God who knows more than you and is capable of greater miracles and has performed greater miracles than the one needed to get me into Duke. And if it is not his will, then I will understand. As for your second piece of advice, it makes me wonder if you are on the list and want to try to psych others out so they drop off the list in order to increase your chances. That is SO evil. Sorry, I am TOO smart to fall for that one. In conclusion, wish all of the hard luck you want on me. I plan no revenge and wish you the best. Vengence is the Lord's.

p.s. Duke (or any other school that I know except for Michigan and possibly Cornell ) will not pull off the list until May 15th, so don't spout untruths such as "If you haven't gotten in by now, you won't." If merely demonstrates your ignorance.

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited April 26, 2001).]

Well said Christiangirl!!!!!

God does wonders ..... You'll be in my prayers!!!!

Good Luck
smile.gif

I agree. Very well put, Christiangirl. I wish you the very best.

twister

Christiangirl --

I love the way you think. Personally, I think josejalapeno is just entertaining himself by seeing how much attention he can get by posting stupid comments. Not worth replying to. As for me, I have decided on Baylor. I have met about ten other people from my undergrad school who are headed there, and they seem like great people. I chose it mainly for the curriculum and the opportunities available at the Texas Medical Center. I'm holding off on signing a lease until June or July because I'm still praying that Duke comes through, but I'm not sure how long I can hold out. That would rock if we both get pulled off the waitlist and end up as classmates next year -- then we could look back at this and laugh.

omores -- Thanks for helping to keep our hopes up!

Just to be part of the sharing:

I wasted oodles of money sending 26 schools an AMCAS app but in the end only pursued these schools:

Interviewed b/4 secondary:

Pitt (10/6)
Howard (cancelled interview)

Interviewed/Accepted:
Yale (3/23)
USC (2/15)
UCLA/Drew (4/15)
Pitt (3/??)

On Hold:
Davis (what a waste of a trip)
Irvine (no interview)

Flat out rejected:
Loma Linda

May as well contribute. MCAT=34S, GPA=3.56, no acceptances yet.

Applied/No Interview:
Yale
Stanford
Duke
Cornell
Northwestern
UCLA
Loyola

Applied/Interview/Didn't Go:
Tulane

Applied/Interview/Rejected:
University of Colorado (?!?)

Applied/Interview/Waitlist:
Vanderbilt
U of Miami

Applied/Interview/Waiting to Hear:
U of Chicago
USC

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Christiangirl:
Josejalepeno -
I do not have time to waste on people like you who choose to use this forum to spread negativity and to try to discourage other people. By the way, once again thanks to my girls omores and caffeinegirl. You all have been awesome and I appreciate it so very much!!
smile.gif
In the words of Maya Angelou,
"Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise"
I am no longer afraid of not getting into Duke, so nothing you say can or will inspire that. I am sorry if things are not going well for you in this process, so you feel to need to try to bring others down with you. I will say a prayer for you tonight in hopes that the bitterness leaves your soul. You have no idea how many students Duke has room for because they will NOT share that information with anyone. Believe me, I have tried to get it and so have many others.
smile.gif
Last year they took 15 off the waitlist and the year previous 30. I will not listen to people like you except to use that as motivation to prove you wrong. So, thanks for those words...
smile.gif
I love a challenge and you just added more fuel to my fire. I will be sure to email you WHEN I get off the list.
smile.gif
I believe in a God who knows more than you and is capable of greater miracles and has performed greater miracles than the one needed to get me into Duke. And if it is not his will, then I will understand. As for your second piece of advice, it makes me wonder if you are on the list and want to try to psych others out so they drop off the list in order to increase your chances. That is SO evil. Sorry, I am TOO smart to fall for that one. In conclusion, wish all of the hard luck you want on me. I plan no revenge and wish you the best. Vengence is the Lord's.

p.s. Duke (or any other school that I know except for Michigan and possibly Cornell ) will not pull off the list until May 15th, so don't spout untruths such as "If you haven't gotten in by now, you won't." If merely demonstrates your ignorance.

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited April 26, 2001).]
[/QUOTE

I was very impressed with your posting. A bit suprised that it takes people a while to figure out that I am just screwing around. You'll get in don't worry. If I can get in, you definitely can. Interesting to see how some people react when you mess with them.

Crafty and Christiangirl,

I just found out some updated info about my financial aid packages and am pretty sure now that I will not attend Duke. I am withdrawing so that's one more spot. Judging from all the applicants I've met, i think there will be some good movement on the Duke waiting list this year.

Hey Bling Bling,

No, I'm a Colorado resident, but I went to a well ranked (top 10 according to USNews anyways) out-of-state school.

OK, add another waitlist to my tally...Dartmouth. No biggie - I don't think I want to go there, anyway.

Best wishes to everyone as May 15th approaches!

accepted:
NYMC
Howard

waitlisted:
Pitt
Tufts
GWU

interviewed/waiting:
SUNY - Stony Brook

interviewed/withdrew:
SUNY - Buffalo
SUNY - Syracuse
Albany

interviewed/Rejected:
Cornell
Georgetown
Temple

Rejected w/o interview:
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
U of Rochester
Mt Sinai
Jefferson
U of Maryland

jimi --

Thanks for the update. So by my calculations, with you and caffeinegirl withdrawing your acceptances, christiangirl and I should be set. Yeah, right! :)

Thanks for the words of support UGBol, twister, and my long time buddy Crafty!! I agree with your calculations!! Two of us and two spaces. Not much math involved there and to think Duke requires Calculus!!
smile.gif

Hey jimi. Thanks for the update. Which school blew your mind with a great package and will be graced with your presence next year?
smile.gif

well.... I'm on the Duke alternate list as well. so, i figure that if one more person posts in this thread that they are withdrawing, then I'm golden!

Hey jimi. Thanks for the update. Which school blew your mind with a great package and will be graced with your presence next year?
smile.gif
[/B][/QUOTE]

what is that "will be graced with your presence" supposed to mean? Who is this person God? Com'n get real!!! Cut the ego-stroking bull****. I hope I don't run into people like than when I start. Sickening!

yo josejalapeno. i think you have way too much time on your hands. just my 2 cents, though.

[This message has been edited by sheils (edited April 27, 2001).]

I am just joking with her. She is a NICE person (unlike you) though. Please go find a friend, a dog, or even an imaginary friend. Something, geez. I am not kissing anyone's butt. I just happened to really genuinely like some people on this forum and the positivity and "realness" with which they respond. They have all been here for a while, have heard my story, and I think they are decent people who are compassionate. You on the other hand.... Well, my mother said "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all." Guess that means I'll stop talking.

hey Christiangirl,

I'm so glad you have chosen to wait and see what happens with the waitlist. I think you've made the right decision. As for myself,I visited HOpkins and surprisingly I loved it. And then, they changed their financial aid package to almost match Duke's which was incredibly helpful!! I must say though, some of the students I met there were so amazing I kept wondering how I slipped through the cracks. One guy had worked for the World Health Organization as a US rep!!! It's all so random but I feel very fortunate.

Oh, and I think jose is just kidding around.

Hey christian I am going to UW. I know you asked but I forgot to mention it.

------------------
I don't follow tha drugz, tha drugz follow me

I just wanted to let you guys know that I have enjoyed reading this post. It's exciting even though I won't be going through the process until next year. Best of wishes to all of you

I saw this thread back in April and thought this may be a good time to bring it back as it may be helpful for those who are figuring out what schools to apply to (I think the posts w/ stats are more helpful...). However, as many have remarked over and over again, every applicant's background and experience (pre- and during application process) are UNIQUE. In fact, I've noticed from reading this thread that who gets accepted where and when and with what numbers cannot be predicted. Applying to medical schools is just a wild ride and I learned that being waitlisted/rejected by one school SAYS nothing about my acceptances at other schools (this is important or you can get depressed and confused during the process. Yes, I say this even though i have 3.9 GPA, because I was probably over-confident in the beginning... I feel very LUCKY in the application process). Have patience and faith in yourself! Oh, and APPLY EARLY!!!!! Good luck to those applying this year and those on the waiting lists :)

OK, here's my stats: 10-11 in V,PS,BS, and Q in writing. 3.9 GPA from a state school (first two years from a community college). Worked full-time in research for several years after graduation. The usual clinical/community volunteer work.

Rejected w/o interview:
Cornell
Tufts
University of Michigan, got 2ndary
Yale

2ndary didn't finish:
Stanford
Northwestern

Given interview, but didn't go:
Georgetown
MCP Hanemann
New York Med
Penn State
St. Louis
Univ. of Virginia
Washington in St. Louis

Interviewed, waitlisted (probably due to bad interviews), and I w/drew:
George Washington
Tulane (happy students, but not too impressed w/ dean)

After submitting 2ndary, did not get a response, so I w/drew:
Jefferson
Loyola
UCSF

Interviewed, accepted (please don't mind my light-hearted anecdotes):
Dartmouth (Love the school!!! BEAUTIFUL autumn landscape; v. nice people; but weather too cold for me)
Ohio State (stayed w/ really nice med students; 1st interview)
Pittsburgh (pretty city, v. happy students, nice campus)
UCD (nice med. ctr)
UCI (med student host gave negative feedback about school...)
UCLA (where I'm going :)
UCSD (v. nice interviewers; beautiful city)
USC (v. delicious lunch :) impressed w/ admissions staff's willingness to help)

I am very glad to see this back even though its older. I didn't see it in April when it originated. I am now going to consider applying to more schools since I've read this and seen that most people applied to around 20 schools. I had originally considered applying to 10-15 schools.

Alright, for educational purposes, here's my application scorecard. It just goes to show that there's no predicting which schools will love you, and which ones will ignore you. But remember, you won't know which schools YOU'LL love until you see them with your own eyes.

3.56 Harvard GPA/3.45 BCPM (I failed a math class freshman year). 35 MCAT (9V/12P/14B). TN resident, white male, BA in bio (with 2 years as English major). Musician - french horn, helped run a swim program for asthmatic kids, travel writer for Let's Go for two years. Standard, run-of-the-mill summer research. Good domestic and international clinical exposure. Financially disadvantaged, although I don't think i received any positive or negative attention because of this (that I perceived).

Because I failed that math class and was subsequently put on Academic Probation for a semester, and because my GPA was lower than the averages for the schools I was interested in, I applied to more schools than I should've. Also, I hadn't received my MCAT scores yet when I submitted my AMCAS, and I thought I had absolutely failed Verbal. I ended up doing okay in Verbal (not great), but got lucky in other sections, which helped my confidence a little.

Rejected without interview:

Harvard (no interview...ouch! :^)
Case Western
Mayo
Penn
UCLA
UCSF
U. of Washington (dumb to apply out-of-state)
Wash U
Yale

Rejected post-interview:

Cornell (owwch...I loved this school)

Withdrew:

Albert Einstein
BU
Dartmouth
GW
Jefferson
Mt. Sinai
UNC
Northwestern
Oregon
Pitt
Tufts

Waitlisted:

Baylor (great students, awesome medical complex, terrific tex-mex)
Duke (regional interview, didn't see)
Hopkins (hated this interview)

Accepted :^) at:

UT Memphis (great school for clinical training)
Emory (ditto here; incredible facilties, lots of $$$ available)
U. of Iowa (best admissions staff i met; too isolated for me)
NYU (party school, sucky financial aid)
Rochester (neat curriculum, caring faculty; isolated)
U. Michigan, Ann Arbor (an awesome school, probably the best interview experience i had; unimpressed with matches outside of michigan, and wanted a more geographically diverse class)
Vanderbilt (great school, kids are really happy, not very diverse though)
Stanford (amazing weather, kids are super laid back; great match list; very research-oriented; dumpy educational facilities; 5-year plan wasn't for me. Interviewed LATE, 4/16/01.)
Columbia (Where I'm going :p Didn't like it at first, but really warmed up to it; great kids, great reputation, great clinical training, great city. In off the waitlist.)

Hope this is helpful to anyone about to apply -- that is, when AMCAS gets their act together! :D Good luck!

I don't want to post my entire resume, but I just wanted to reiterate everyone's point that this whole process seems pretty unpredictable. I had a solid GPA from a state school and 32+ MCAT score, and I applied to ten schools (six in my home state of Texas, four out-of-state). I was accepted at my top-ranked Texas system school (UT-Southwestern) and Baylor. I was rejected post-secondary without an interview at Stanford and Hopkins, was offered an interview at Yale but declined, and was waitlisted at Duke. Last week I got the call from Duke, and I'll be heading there this fall. So, after finally completing this year-long marathon called the application process, my best advice is apply to a decent number of schools so that you simply increase your chances. Best of luck to all of you who are just beginning the process -- get ready for a long haul.

Congrats, there, Crafty!!! :cool:

Originally posted by Crafty:
•...was offered an interview at Yale but declined, and was waitlisted at Duke. Last week I got the call from Duke, and I'll be heading there this fall...•

I have to ask, why did you turn down an interview at Yale? Had you already been accepted at Duke?

Nova

Nova --

When I received my interview invite from Yale, I had already been accepted at Baylor. After looking at both schools closely (especially the cost), I decided that even if I was accepted at both, I would still choose Baylor. Plus, the logistics of getting from Texas to New Haven and spending the weekend there were very expensive. I couldn't find a plane ticket for less than $500, and then I'd have to take a long taxi/shuttle to Yale. But luckily, everything worked out great and I got into my dream school (just last week).

Just got into Yale!!!!!! So excited, can't sit still. Waitlists are definitely a wonderful thing.

Good luck to everyone!
Dreams really do come true, and it can happen to you!!!

Wow, congratulations, spacecadet! We all knew how badly you wanted Yale...it's great that things worked out. :D

spacecadet,

congrats on the yale acceptance!!!! this gives me hope! btw: how were you informed? (phone call, letter?)

spacecadet --

That is awesome news! I'm sure it feels great to realize that you'll be going to the school you've been dreaming about all along. Best of luck.

As everyone else is saying congrats to spacecadet... I feel I need to interject my

CONGRATULATION!!! :D

Congrats spacecadet!! You deserve this chica!! I am SO happy for you!! Knock them dead!!

Thanks for all the support everyone.
I'm actually vacationing and the director of Admissions called my family and then emailed me because my mom told him I was unavailable by phone! Do you guys believe it? I hardly can. CityIvy, hang in there, you never know what's going to happen.
:) :D
ok I gotta go calm down.
once again, thanks and best of luck to everyone next year.

LOL I dont advice Space Cadet to knock 'em dead! Please, keep 'em alive! :)

Just to continue the "you never know how it will turn out" theme, I thought I'd add my info. Went to a liberal arts school in Maine, biochem major, GPA 3.8, MCAT 29T, research w/ undergrad thesis, some clinical work, health care industry experience (consulting), 25 y.o. Went to law school for 6 weeks (right after college).

Rejected w/o interview:
UCLA
UCSD
UC Davis
USC
Tufts
Boston Univ.
Dartmouth
Loyola (Stritch)
Johns Hopkins

Rejected after interview:
MCP Hahnemann
Georgetown

Waitlist:
NMYC
Univ. of VT
George Wash. Univ.
Loma Linda
UC Irvine

Accepted:
Chicago Med (Finch) - withdrew

Accepted off waitlist:
UCSF (will attend - was always my first choice)

Dreams really can come true. Good luck to all!

Now THAT is awesome.

Congrats BeckyG! ;)

WOW, BeckyG! Congrats! I'm really happy for you how things turned out!!! You're another example that surviving through the application process requires patience and optimism, because the process can be so unpredictable!

Wow, BeckyG, just to echo the above sentiments? How the hell did you get rejected by UCLA and all those other schools but get into UCSF? I'm impressed and it gives me hope that numbers aren't everything!

Wow, Becky, that's frickin' awesome! It makes me wish I would have applied to more "reaches".

BeckyG: Congrats!! Wow, dreams really DO come true. I can only imagine how you feel right now--but it must be great to have survived the application process. good luck in cali! p.s. don't forget to withdraw your app. from nymc :)

Hey Guys - thanks for all the support. CityIvy, I am calling NYMC today. I truly hope you get in SOON. Good luck everyone!

I just want to point this out to everyone who hasn't noticed yet...
I got rejected from Chicago Med, a school that is known for being easier to get into, and got into the University of North Carolina as an out-of-stater (something I've heard is really tough).
Our good friend BeckyG was rejected by MCPH, only to get into one of the hardest schools in the country to get into.
I've heard a million stories like this. It's a wacky wacky process this medical school admissions thing. My advice to those applying...apply to as many schools as possible.