Where do you stand? (Acceptances/ Waitlists/ Rejections)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yigit, you and I think the same. I am applying to 30 AMCAS schools and one non-AMCAS school because as these posts show, admission is never a sure thing. Your attitude is refreshing, since many people would say that sending in a lot of apps is a waste of money. My personal feeling: how can you economise on your future? It might cost a lot of money to do so, but isn't it worth $30 to find out if your dreams for a certain school might come true?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. First off, I have totally enjoyed reading all these posts, it's so encouraging and exciting. Congratulations to everyone!!!

I am curious though, how many of you recently accepted had MCAT's or GPA's at or below the school average? I have already submitted my AMCAS and chose only 5 schools. I am rethinking that now based on posts here, etc. But I have never really been sure about what makes an applicant "competitive" score wise. Clearly a school with a 31 average MCAT, has around half above that, but also half below!
What do you all think?

After having gone through this (myself and many friends) I feel that the MCAT averages posted for schools are always a bit low. The reason is that it benefits schools to drum up as many applications as possible. Also, add a few (or several depending on the school) points if your not a URM or non-traditional applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
My MCAT was usually very close to the averages reported for the different schools, sometimes higher, very rarely lower. However, my GPA was usually below the reported averages -- I had a very poor freshman year with a ton of improvement each following year, which I think was key.

I would strongly suggest applying to a minimum of 10 schools; I believe I applied to 15. Apply to as many as you can afford to, financially and time-wise -- you will be amazed how long secondaries can take. Personally, I couldn't have done more than 20 secondaries, but if you aren't in school or working full-time, it might be easier.

Whew...I was getting nervous everybody but it looks like I got in off the waitlist and will be attending Saint Louis U. I'm waitlisted at another school too but man...I was all set to begin an MPH program in a couple of days from now!! Crazy how pre-med life is sooo unstable!!! :)

Congratulations wyldstyle. I knew you would get in somewhere this year. Now since you're in there's no harm in hoping for much more. Good luck on your other waitlists (UCI)?

Hey, Lara,
I saw your message in the forum. I have withdrew my app in Meharry after receiving other acceptances from East Coast. I guess I worried too much.
I will be attending another UC if UCLA does not pull me through.

Wow, that's great to hear. At least now you don't have to worry about being too far away from your parents. If you don't mind my asking, which UC will you be going to?

Hey congrats! You'll be in my neck of the woods. I'd do just about anything to go to SLU medical school! You're very fortunate. Best Wishes!

Hey all,

Bumping this thread just to show how random this process is and to give everyone an idea of when to expect interviews\hear from schools.

- Focus