Where does capaciation happen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fit2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So last night I stumbled upon the OAT free test and I decided to do it and I got a question wrong that really bothered me. In Feralis notes I saw that capacitation happens in vagina, but the answer for the OAT was in the oviduct. I went online and couldn't find a definitive answer: it says it can happen a few hours after sperm enters female reproductive tract. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's in the vagina. Oviduct is where fertilization takes place.
Thanks! That means however that the OAT key is wrong. That's really frustrating to see official tests that have wrong answers. Just like 2009 DAT

Reactions: 1 user
Capacitation is the penultimate step of development of sperm. It occurs in the oviduct. It involves the destabilizing of the acrosome to allow for better binding between the sperm and oocyte. The acrosome reaction is when the tip of the sperm reacts with the zona pellucida of the egg to fuse together. Metamorphosis is the process of additional development that usually refers to the process of larva turning into an adult insect. Sperm meiosis is completed in the seminiferous tubules.

Thanks! I suppose then that there's a small mistake in Feralis. It's probably not the most crucial detail but if it shows up on the test I'd probably go with oviduct. Spoke with my physiology professor and he said it's not exactly pinpointed where it happens. That's because capacitation makes sperm "hyper motile" which enables it to swim...so it would make sense it would happen earlier on rather than later. But yeah I'm going with oviduct if it shows up ;) Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)