Where in UPENN to live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninjajustin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm officially going to UPENN; they received and cashed my deposit. Now I need to find a place to live! To those current and future dental students, where do you live and where do you recommend I live. (If this topic has already been discussed, sorry-just let me know)

Members don't see this ad.

ninjajustin said:
Hello,

I'm officially going to UPENN; they received and cashed my deposit. Now I need to find a place to live! To those current and future dental students, where do you live and where do you recommend I live. (If this topic has already been discussed, sorry-just let me know)

Mr. Ninja, the last time I checked, there is a novel button placed convieniently above called SEARCH. :D

I have heard the dorms are not so good at Penn for grad students. Most people get apartments close to the dental school. If I decide to go to Penn we should get a place :D

Members don't see this ad :)
If you guys arent' complete freaks, we should get a bunch of people together, maybe 3-5 and rent a house or something. We could also get a pretty large condo in center city for a pretty good price once split 3 or 4 ways. Just an idea.

Audio said:
If you guys arent' complete freaks, we should get a bunch of people together, maybe 3-5 and rent a house or something. We could also get a pretty large condo in center city for a pretty good price once split 3 or 4 ways. Just an idea.

Hmm, so would partial freaks qualify for the Audio-Condo? :laugh:

So, Blackstars, where do you plan on going, UPENN or VCU?

duh? said:
Hmm, so would partial freaks qualify for the Audio-Condo? :laugh:

Are you wondering if you qualify or not? :p

Audio said:
Are you wondering if you qualify or not? :p
Nah :laugh: . I'd rather not have housemates.

duh? said:
Nah :laugh: . I'd rather not have housemates.

Yeah, I'd also rather live alone.

I would rather live in West Philly very close to the school than in Center City. I want to be able to stay late in the lab if I have to and just roll out of bed to get to class. Plus it is probablly a lot cheaper. There is supposdly a housing fair in April where landlords show their places. Hope they send us that info.

sunnymeliss said:
so audio, are you going to penn for sure now?

well, I'm still waiting on a couple schools like Harvard, Buffalo, Toronto, Western. I'm not sure if I'd pick Harvard over Penn but I'm pretty sure I'd pick the others over Penn. Penn is a WONDERFUL school but, due to financial reasons and the fact that I'd rather prefer to be close to home (Toronto), I'd probably pick the other schools. But hey, Penn might actually be the best school out of all the schools on my list so who knows, maybe it's a blessing in disguise if I don't get in to those schools. One thing is for sure, I feel really really lucky to have Penn as a back up! But if I end up going to Penn, I'd be proud and I'd really believe that it was one of the best schools in the US and the world.

ninjajustin said:
Hello,

I went to UPenn undergrad and lived in West Philly on campus for all 4 years. It was friggin sweet! I'd definitely recommend living near campus for convenience, money, and overall good times. There are always parties goin on and easy access to get to center city and old city. Congrats and Good Luck!! :cool:

I would suggest living in West Philly your first year. You will be at school so often that it may become a hassle to commute from Center City. I think it is also a good idea to live by yourself. Yes, you can save money that way, but you I know a few people who ended up not liking roomates that they had met through SDN. You also need to realize that you will be spending ALL your time with dental students, so you are going to like being able to get away from your classmates. Just my 2 cents...

edkNARF said:
I would suggest living in West Philly your first year. You will be at school so often that it may become a hassle to commute from Center City. I think it is also a good idea to live by yourself. Yes, you can save money that way, but you I know a few people who ended up not liking roomates that they had met through SDN. You also need to realize that you will be spending ALL your time with dental students, so you are going to like being able to get away from your classmates. Just my 2 cents...

Agreed, and along those lines, stay away from living on campus, aka Sansom. You'll end up spending just as much as you would for a private apartment and when it comes down to it a dorm is a dorm.

What do people usually do for cable/internet? How much does it cost?

Audio said:
well, I'm still waiting on a couple schools like Harvard, Buffalo, Toronto, Western. I'm not sure if I'd pick Harvard over Penn but I'm pretty sure I'd pick the others over Penn. Penn is a WONDERFUL school but, due to financial reasons and the fact that I'd rather prefer to be close to home (Toronto), I'd probably pick the other schools. But hey, Penn might actually be the best school out of all the schools on my list so who knows, maybe it's a blessing in disguise if I don't get in to those schools. One thing is for sure, I feel really really lucky to have Penn as a back up! But if I end up going to Penn, I'd be proud and I'd really believe that it was one of the best schools in the US and the world.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Penn (that it's a wonderful school) but I'm really torn between Penn and USC...we'll see. Good luck on your other schools.