Where is it possible to do RESEARCH in the evening?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's make a list of places where it would likely be possible to get a research position in the evening or overnight.

(This will free up M-F 9-5 for those who have to work a day job.)

Members don't see this ad.

Let's make a list of places where it would likely be possible to get a research position in the evening or overnight.

(This will free up M-F 9-5 for those who have to work a day job.)
The ultimate pre-med sacrifice

"I shall not sleep until I get into medical school."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you do computational research like me you can work whenever and wherever you want and there are plenty of positions where you never have to do physical experiments.

Reactions: 1 users
If you do computational research like me you can work whenever and wherever you want and there are plenty of positions where you never have to do physical experiments.

Came here to post about computational research. The bulk of my undergraduate research was done by logging into the computational chemistry server from my laptop and running simulations. I think this sparked my passion for working while wearing pajamas, which continues to this day.

Reactions: 2 users
You can do evening research in most wet labs.

I'm working on a epidemiological study right now. You just need a computer and a database. For all my PI cares, I can do the whole thing at 1:30 AM in my pajamas.

If it's a more independent project you could ask for the keys to the research area/card access to the building and come whenever you felt like it. I do this at my undergrad.
I imagine this would vary among different universities/employers.

Clinical and computations research are perhaps your best bet. Another way to get published is doing literature reviews, which you can write from anywhere.

A PI for a clinical research project has far far more important things to worry about whether you are analyzing data from a computer at 3PM or 3AM. As long as you can still find time to meet with them under their hours when necessary it's a non issue.

I'm a bit more hesitant to recommend wet lab unless you have substantial experience because few PI's are comfortable with some unknown coming in without any research experience and having them work at night alone without training. Hell, some PI's won't like the idea of even trained and highly skilled premeds who know what they are doing working at night without any supervision.

maybe clinical, statistical, computer research.

Came here to post about computational research. The bulk of my undergraduate research was done by logging into the computational chemistry server from my laptop and running simulations. I think this sparked my passion for working while wearing pajamas, which continues to this day.

Computational research is awesome due to its flexibility in working anywhere and anytime (to a reasonable extent before a deadline of course). The slight downside is it may require some knowledge in math and computer science, but it's a minor obstacle.

Aside from clinical research, you could try out social science (still hypothesis-based) research and outcomes reports (similar to what economists do when they analyze job reports). It could provide new perspective pertaining to the healthcare market and policy analysis.

Hm my PI in college gave me a key to the lab a couple of weeks into my research. I guess I'm just that awesome :rolleyes:

Unsupervised? Many Ph.D students and postdocs are here in the evenings, at least until 8 or so....

Hm my PI in college gave me a key to the lab a couple of weeks into my research. I guess I'm just that awesome :rolleyes:
ya, same here. I didn't know this was abnormal

My PI had a policy that as long as you got the work done, it didn't matter when you did it. They gave me keys to the lab and stock rooms and as long as I was in the building before security closed it up, I could stay until dawn if I wanted. Many overnights were spent in that little lab...I will remember it fondly...

ya, same here. I didn't know this was abnormal

Same. The keys to our lab are kept in a sketchy pipet tip box in the cold room, actually...

An unsupervised volunteer in a lab is merely asking for trouble for the PI, if not the institution.

Depends on how much experience this person has. A wet-behind-the-ears college freshman with no lab experience? Yeah, probably not a good idea to have this person in lab unsupervised. A college junior/senior working on their honors thesis who has been working in the lab for 3+ years? I don't think that would be a problem (at least I hope it wasn't because I did that...).

Depend on the school and where in the country. I attend Boston University which is a top research uni, and I work in a lab from about 3pm-7pm between 3-5 days a week. It really depends on the environment among other things.

I know of a PI that worked 12pm-12am.