Where is my LoR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peerie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked four different people if they would be willing to write me a strong lor. All four said yes, happy to, etc. So far, three have submitted theirs. One required gentle prodding but it was done quickly once I politely inquired about it to his secretary.

But the fourth has not replied to my gentle email query, and I am out of town for a week or so and cannot just go by his office. :(

There is someone else I could ask, but really at what point do I just give up on someone writing a lor? I guess I have the full requirement, but I had hoped to have all four. He's a super nice guy and I did well when I worked with him. Do some people just never write them? What do people do in this situation? I really don't have the time to keep going to his hospital and his office hoping to maybe catch him. Not sure what to do. Ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Do some people just never write them?

Yes

What do people do in this situation? I really don't have the time to keep going to his hospital and his office hoping to maybe catch him. Not sure what to do. Ideas?

Contact his secretary. Buy him/her flowers. Or doughnuts. Put a nice card on it, saying it would be great to get your letter. Kinda kidding about the flowers/doughnuts. Kinda not.

Or, live with three letters which will probably be fine.

Thanks aProg, I was just wondering. I may stop by when I get back or I may ask someone else. I have some good interviews so we'll see.

3 is probably enough.

If you are convinced he really wants to do it (i.e. really liked you) then would ask one more time. You still have time for him to get it in...I mean for it to help in the final decision, perhaps not for interviews unless he hurries up. The other thing that can be helpful is faculty calling on your behalf, so if he never does the letter, but you run into him in a couple of months and he still knows you, could try that route...I mean at some place you already interviewed and liked.