Where, oh where, to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know as June gets closer, we'll see more and more (and more) of these, threads, but I'm having serious issues deciding where to apply for the class entering in 2009. This cycle (2008), I applied ridiculously narrowly (not to mention lately) and got pretty burned in the process, leaving me with the two waitlists you'll see in my mdapps profile. I've been looking over a lot of the where-to-apply threads, but I'm not really able to include any particular school, as most of the things my LizzyM score (72) numerically suggests that I should be competitive at might be considered reach schools.

So, short of going through the whole of the MSAR, what would you suggest to me?

On my list already:
UVA, VCU (my state schools)

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Oh, and before someone says "ask your advisor," I tried that last time and every time I tossed a name by him, he gave a pretty standard "sure, why not" response.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you pick those two schools? Are you looking to stay withing VA no matter what?

I'd definitely apply widely next time - can't you at least expand to add DC/MD schools, at the very least?

I have very similar stats to you, but more clinical and research activities.

From my experience this cycle, I would suggest you consider (in addition to your state schools):

WashU, Vanderbilt, USC, Baylor, Case Western, Pittsburgh, Duke, Mt. Sinai, Emory

And then add at least 4 of these schools: Rosalind Franklin, Tulane, Jefferson, Loyola, Temple, NYMC, Albany, Einstein, Drexel

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you pick those two schools? Are you looking to stay withing VA no matter what?

I'd definitely apply widely next time - can't you at least expand to add DC/MD schools, at the very least?

Oh, sure, I'd forgotten to add those! As of the moment, I don't really know a thing about the Maryland schools (other than Hopkins, haha) and will have to look into it. Actually, I'm looking to get off of the east coast, or maybe just out of the south. I've been here a bit too long, I think. :p I picked UVA because it has a good reputation and seems to do well for itself and its graduates. I think I've got a shot at VCU, though I'm not terribly excited about living in Richmond.

We'll say my revised preliminary list is:
UVA, VCU, GW, Georgetown, WashU (hey, if they interviewed me I must be doing something right...), and the state of California (a girl's gotta have dreams, right?)

I'll take a look to see what the MSAR says about some of the other schools that have been suggested. Thanks!

Oh, and by "narrow," I pretty much meant top 20. (And you can see how well that worked out....)

Apply broadly :thumbup:

Oh, sure, I'd forgotten to add those! As of the moment, I don't really know a thing about the Maryland schools (other than Hopkins, haha) and will have to look into it. Actually, I'm looking to get off of the east coast, or maybe just out of the south. I've been here a bit too long, I think. :p I picked UVA because it has a good reputation and seems to do well for itself and its graduates. I think I've got a shot at VCU, though I'm not terribly excited about living in Richmond.

We'll say my revised preliminary list is:
UVA, VCU, GW, Georgetown, WashU (hey, if they interviewed me I must be doing something right...), and the state of California (a girl's gotta have dreams, right?)

If you're OK with moving out of VA, definitely apply broadly then - a wide variety of schools are key!

So, I know as June gets closer, we'll see more and more (and more) of these, threads, but I'm having serious issues deciding where to apply for the class entering in 2009. This cycle (2008), I applied ridiculously narrowly (not to mention lately) and got pretty burned in the process, leaving me with the two waitlists you'll see in my mdapps profile. I've been looking over a lot of the where-to-apply threads, but I'm not really able to include any particular school, as most of the things my LizzyM score (72) numerically suggests that I should be competitive at might be considered reach schools.

On my list already:

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Oh, and before someone says "ask your advisor," I tried that last time and every time I tossed a name by him, he gave a pretty standard "sure, why not" response.

Why don't you tell us where you did apply the first time (unless it was only the two on your MDapps) and we can try to see where you might be able to broaden or improve your selection. I agree with many of the places listed above, but I think, as a reapplicant, you are now an inherently weaker applicant and should think about some lower ranked programs than the same top 20 that people are suggesting you apply to again. Schools see your first MCAT and are likely taking that into some consideration as well. If I were you, I would consider applying to 20-30 programs with ~5 repeats that you really would like to go to.

It wouldn't hurt you to call a few of the places who rejected you and see if they will give any good feedback. Be careful how you do it (be humble) so you don't sound whiny.

Why don't you tell us where you did apply the first time (unless it was only the two on your MDapps) and we can try to see where you might be able to broaden or improve your selection. I agree with many of the places listed above, but I think, as a reapplicant, you are now an inherently weaker applicant and should think about some lower ranked programs than the same top 20 that people are suggesting you apply to again. Schools see your first MCAT and are likely taking that into some consideration as well. If I were you, I would consider applying to 20-30 programs with ~5 repeats that you really would like to go to.

It wouldn't hurt you to call a few of the places who rejected you and see if they will give any good feedback. Be careful how you do it (be humble) so you don't sound whiny.

16 very narrow schools, including all the UCs (no research experience at the time), Hopkins (still waiting on that rejection letter), some others in the top five (great joke, I know), NYU, Columbia, etc.:oops: I was looking at my old AMCAS app and it looks like I submitted 9/29. Protip: don't do that.

On my list already:

Thanks in advance!

Buy a copy of the MSAR

EVMS...as a "backup school"

EVMS...as a "backup school"

While we all know that "backup schools" don't exist, that's probably the one place I could never see myself going to. I have no desire whatsoever to return to that region of Virginia (despite their relative success and super cheap housing).

I would imagine that your fantastic MCAT score will turn heads just about everywhere you apply except the most selective schools. Getting an interview at Wash U. is huge, as I'm sure you're aware. With average-ish experience and GPA, a strong personal statement, and good recs, all you have to do is nail the interview, and you should get that magical acceptance letter if you follow enigma's advice.