Where should i go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wall2cp3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just recently accepted to the University of Alabama at Birmingham and the University of Arkansas(Main Campus). I definitely want to be a doctor, so which school do you think gives me a better shot of going to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just recently accepted to the University of Alabama at Birmingham and the University of Arkansas(Main Campus). I definitely want to be a doctor, so which school do you think gives me a better shot of going to med school?

have you visited either campus? They both have med schools.

did you apply to UAB's Science and Tech Honors Program?

Are you instate for either school? Is the cost similar? I know that UAB is generous with merit scholarships, did you get one?

have you visited either campus? They both have med schools.

did you apply to UAB's Science and Tech Honors Program?

Are you instate for either school? Is the cost similar? I know that UAB is generous with merit scholarships, did you get one?

Ehh well my gpa wasn;t high enough for either honors program but I plan on getting into the honors college in whatever school I go to.
Nope out of state, I live in Maryland and yes the tuition for each school is roughly the same. I finished my fafsa about 2 weeks ago and am awaiting my awards.

Members don't see this ad :)

Whichever one is cheaper.

Edit: just read your previous post. Whichever one has a better cafeteria

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Alabama so youll at least have fun going to football games.

Alabama so youll at least have fun going to football games.

That isn't the same school.

Alabama (The Crimson Tide) is in Tuscaloosa.

UAB is in Birmingham. It's confusing because The University of Alabama School of Medicine is located mostly on UAB's campus.

Roll Tide!

Ehh well my gpa wasn;t high enough for either honors program but I plan on getting into the honors college in whatever school I go to.
Nope out of state, I live in Maryland and yes the tuition for each school is roughly the same. I finished my fafsa about 2 weeks ago and am awaiting my awards.

Unless you qualify for a merit scholarship from either school, I doubt you'll get much in financial aid besides a $5500 student loan - unless your EFC is below 5000 and you get some Pell grant money.

I'm somewhat familiar with UAB's merit awards since I have friends who go there, what is your GPA and SAT/ACT score? (SAT M+CR only).

Their both 4 year schools so it really won't make much of a difference on med school admissions. Go with the school that you think you would have more fun at. Gen chem and orgo suck everywhere so better off picking somewhere that offers other things you'll enjoy. MedPR may have been joking about the cafeteria but it makes a difference!

I lived near Birmingham for four years and it is actually a nice place to live. It certainly is not metropolitan, but it has its own charm. UAB also has a great children's hospital and a large burn center, in addition to some decent research. I would have applied there, but I applied narrowly to stay with my wife.