Where to apply for residency.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RainbowYoshi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
looking to do neuro but unsure where is actually reasonable to apply to. Low step 1 (211), but looks like step 2 should be higher. Couple case report pubs and will hopefully get something more substantial.
Any advice would be appreciated especially realistic options n the eastern seaboard if their are any.

Members don't see this ad.

looking to do neuro but unsure where is actually reasonable to apply to. Low step 1 (211), but looks like step 2 should be higher. Couple case report pubs and will hopefully get something more substantial.
Any advice would be appreciated especially realistic options n the eastern seaboard if their are any.
More info please - AMG? School tier? Any red flags? Your scores are more than enough for neuro. Good luck!

Will be US grad, no red flags and mid their school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You’re good, apply broadly and you’ll be just fine. Try to apply to a mixture of high, mid and low tier programs.
Thank you for the advise. Would I actually have a reasonable chance at a high their program. And how do you actually determine what their the programs are?

Thank you for the advise. Would I actually have a reasonable chance at a high their program. And how do you actually determine what their the programs are?
Top tier would be your Ivy leagues, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic etc.
Being an AMG, you have a decent shot at medium and low tier but i wouldnt shy away from high tier either. If money isnt an issue, i would apply to a mix as said before :)

Being an AMG, you have a decent shot at medium and low tier but i wouldnt shy away from high tier either. If money isnt an issue, i would apply to a mix as said before :)
Thank you I appreciate your advice.

what about chances for neuro for a DO student with same step 1 score and low (450} comlex 1 score?

what about chances for neuro for a DO student with same step 1 score and low (450} comlex 1 score?
In the presence of usmle, I doubt anyone would look at COMLEX unless it’s a failing score

How about chances for a US DO with a COMLEX a little under 450 with no Step1?
For neurology? it’ll be tough.

One way to overcome this: audition. But that only works for the place you audition at.

Thanks for responding! I do have a strong commitment to neurology, shown through a long history of volunteering, shadowing neurologists, related undergrad thesis, club in med school and poster presentations. I'm hoping my dedication to the field will help me where my board scores will not. I was thinking of applying to upward of 50 residencies (as well as FM backups) to have a better chance and will be doing as many audition rotations next year as possible. Would you recommend applying to more than that? I know there are about 120 programs and each year around a dozen spots go unfilled but I'm not sure if they would rather have the empty seat compared to a low scoring applicant that will bring their average scores down.
Showing string comment is good but won’t overcome no USMLE combined with below average comlex, unfortunately.

As I mentioned above, your saving grace is auditioning few programs and impressing them. This would automatically guarantees you interviews at these places. DONT waste an audition at an out of reach program or the interview will only be a courtesy.

50 programs should be good if 40 of them are community/less desirable academic.

Feel free to contact me via PM with more specific information about your application/geography so I can try to give you more accurate information.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a 201 USMLE and 452 COMLEX, AMG. Also did some neuro-related research with an abstract written and may be published. Any recommendations for someone like me to get into a neuro residency/where to apply?