Where to buy Interview Clothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justAstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my interviews are coming up and I don't own a suit. Do you guys know a good place to shop for this stuff and about how much will it run me? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody ever had a suit tailored? If so, how much do they go for?

Hey guys, my interviews are coming up and I don't own a suit. Do you guys know a good place to shop for this stuff and about how much will it run me? Thanks!
I went to Burlington coat factory. It wasn't name brand but was cheap and the tailoring was free with the suit.

I'm not sure how much these things usually cost, but I can afford to spend about $200. Will that be enough?

Yes. Here's some brand tiers.

Lower tier (sub $250):
H&M, Zara, Uniqlo, Mens Wearhouse, Jos A. Bank (only on sale - Jos A Banks ALWAYS have sales, 3 for 1 deals are not uncommon), buying brands listed below on eBay/thrifting etc.

Middle tier (sub $1000):
Suit Supply, J Crew, Polo Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, Hackett

Upper tier (> $1000):
Attolini, Borrelli, Brioni, Boglioli, Caruso, Corneliani, Canali, Isaia, Kiton, Oxxford, Zegna

Then there are a whole bunch of "fashion" brands who retail for as much as the upper tier names, but quality wise are not necessarily as good:
Armani, Hugo Boss, D&G, Dior, Versace, Prada, Paul Smith, etc.

I found a sharp looking Hugo Boss at Dillard's for about $500 on sale.

They take my measurements.

They're certainly more expensive than off-the-rack suits, which of course are made to fit as many people as possible. A Brooks Brothers near me was having a sale on custom fit suits a few months back. They started as $700 but went into the thousands.

I'm not sure how much these things usually cost, but I can afford to spend about $200. Will that be enough?

That is less than the absolute cheapest suit at the absolute cheapest store I was able to find

Expect to spend more than $200 on a suit

Members don't see this ad :)
They're certainly more expensive than off-the-rack suits, which of course are made to fit as many people as possible. A Brooks Brothers near me was having a sale on custom fit suits a few months back. They started as $700 but went into the thousands.
Thanks for the info.

I've bought two suits and both of them were from department stores like Macy's or JCP. If it's just for interviews then you don't need a really good suit. As long as you don't look ridiculous then the only person who will really notice slight imperfections is you. My suits ran me around $150.

Reactions: 1 user
I've bought two suits and both of them were from department stores like Macy's or JCP. If it's just for interviews then you don't need a really good suit. As long as you don't look ridiculous then the only person who will really notice slight imperfections is you. My suits ran me around $150.

+1 This...I think you can get a decently cheap suit for $150-200 at JCP, Macy's. It's nothing that will wow but it gets the job done. That's where I got mine..

http://www.blacklapel.com/ is also good if you want customization and something that's tailored to your measurements.

+1 This...I think you can get a decently cheap suit for $150-200 at JCP, Macy's. It's nothing that will wow but it gets the job done. That's where I got mine..

http://www.blacklapel.com/ is also good if you want customization and something that's tailored to your measurements.

Awesome! That's right within my ideal price range so I'll go check them out tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

I got mine on clearance at von maur for a tad over $200 (jacket and pants) and then got the shirt at kohls and the shoes at dsw. I saw a ton of options at jcp, dillards, younkers, etc for cheaper, too. If you're an average size, you should have no problem putting the whole thing together for $200-$250. It's ok if your suit is average looking and isn't the best of the best....it's not a fashion show. Just don't do what homeboy at my last interview did....SHINY suit, dirty black sneakers with white laces. :( I felt bad for him.

If money is a concern, then just hit up a JCP or Kohl's. Then, if you're feeling ambitious, you can usually get it tailored to fit more nicely for under a hundred dollars. I did this for my interviews and spent less than $200 on my suit..

Just as a side note, don't get a black suit for an interview. Gray is the better choice!

Reactions: 1 users

1. They take your measurements when you get an off-the-rack suit tailored too, that's almost certainly what he was referring to. OP, the cost depends on the extent of the alterations that need to be done, anywhere from around $15 for hemming the trousers up to $100 or more for significant or difficult alterations. If you buy a suit that fits you reasonably well to begin with you shouldn't end up spending more than $50 - but it's worth every penny.

2. It's "bespoke", not bespoken

If money is a concern, then just hit up a JCP or Kohl's. Then, if you're feeling ambitious, you can usually get it tailored to fit more nicely for under a hundred dollars. I did this for my interviews and spent less than $200 on my suit..

Just as a side note, don't get a black suit for an interview. Gray is the better choice!

The only suit I have is black! :(

Any particular reason? I personally don't own one but I would think they would be fine for a med school interview.

Their suits are enormous and ill-fitting, and made of low-quality material. It's like wearing a baggy burlap sack. It's like you try one on, there's enough extra material in the circumference of the sleeves alone that you could clothe an impoverished 3rd world village.

Also, their clothes are marked up ridiculously to facilitate their perennial "buy 1 get 4 free" sales that are equal parts ridiculous, pathetic, and cynical. It's basically a trap to steal the money of the uninitiated in the ways of men's clothing while saddling them with hideous ESPN sportscaster level sack-suits.

As others have mentioned elsewhere on this site, there are plenty of men who are extremely wealthy and wear clothes from there because they just don't give a damn, but that doesn't in any way make what they sell a quality product.

The only suit I have is black! :(

It's sub-optimal but it probably won't make a difference. However, a suit in a superior color like grey, navy, or charcoal will serve you well for many occasions and events (not just your interviews) so if you have the means, I'd recommend picking one up.

Having worked in a Jos A Bank a decade or so ago, let me agree with everything BlueLabel said about the quality of their suits.

Bespoke v. bespoken: I blame my iPhone.

Some alternative options:

1. Made to Measure: If you're in the Maryland area, English American Tailoring make all their suits in Westminster, MD. Their main clientele is businessmen and -women who get made-to-measure (M2M) suits under the Tom James brand. If you can get to Westminster, they have an in-house tailor named Elio who will make you a suit for far less than the regular Tom James price. Prices start at about $500. I had an interview suit made there for about $700 with a finer fabric and some add-ons. Either price is an amazing deal for M2M, and such a suit will last way longer than any cheap stuff, saving you money in the long run.

M2M is the step between off-the-rack and bespoke. They take a standard pattern, adjust it to your measurements and then make the suit specifically for you. Companies like Indochine have cornered the online market, but English American make their stuff in the US and have a much lower problem rate in my experience (i.e. no mistakes that have to be sent back). Plus you support the kind of people who'll be paying your salary as a physician.

If you're in the NYC area, Martin Greenfield offers a similar heavy discount if you visit their factory. Greenfield makes all the Brooks Brothers M2M suits plus most of their high-end Golden Fleece suits. Prices should start around $1,000 for perhaps the best suit maker in America.

2. eBay: If you know your suit size, and especially if you can wear an off-the-rack size with relatively few alterations, then eBay is the place to pick up fantastic suits. There's always a ton of estate sales, consignments and other legitimate vendors offering suits that have been altered but barely worn. As an undergrad, I picked up suits by Oxxford, Brooks Brothers and even a couple of like-new Brioni jackets for less than $100 each. One of the Brioni sport coats is still my favorite piece, and it cost me $49 (versus $3,500 new). Grab yourself a suit, add about $40 for tailoring and $10 for dry cleaning...voila, an amazing garment for a fraction of the price of even Jos A. Wank.

PS: A key thing to look out for is measurements, particularly the sleeve and pants length. If those are shorter than yours, it's not worth the risk.

3. Final option: Styleforum's for-sale section. I picked up a new and unhemmed $1,600 Ralph Lauren suit made by Corneliani for about $250.

If you want to pursue routes 2. or 3. and need either further tips or someone to judge an potential bid/purchase for you, just PM me.

Just buy a good suit(s) that will last you through medical school. I got two Calvin Klein suits from Men's Wearhouse for ~1,000.

Some good advice has been dispensed above. I'll share my experiences so that others won't have to repeat my mistakes!

For my med school interview, I wore a black untailored off the rack suit from a Van Heusen outlet store. In retrospect it had to look awful but it got the job done.

I lost some weight in med school, gained some confidence, and started looking to upgrade my wardrobe. I started at Joseph A Bank. Their slim fitting traveler shirts aren't too bad but even their "slim fit" pants could have clothed me and a friend. Plus they are cut to go up to about your belly button. I bought shoes there too and while very comfortable they are ugly and out of date. Basically, if you are young enough to apply to med school, you will not look or feel right in Jos A Bank clothes.

I kept those shirts but I had been a on a quest for the perfect dress shirt; slim fitting so it won't be too baggy, stylish but not loud, non wrinkle, won't break the bank, and to top it off the 32-33 sleeves were a hair short while the 34-35 sleeves bunched up. JC penny, macys, none of them fit the requirements. I finally found what I was looking for at Brooks Brothers. Sleeves are each inch, not the range like at many other places. I looked at a number of shirts that were either costlier, of lesser quality, but most were both. 2 years ago I would have balked at paying ~$60 for a shirt but the confidence boost, no need to iron, and durability make it worthwhile.

I needed a new suit for residency interviews. I had heard great things about a local taloring shop that makes their own suits. Fully custom suits (you pick fabric, number of buttons, what the lining is, etc) start around $800 but they also do made to measure where you get to pick from ~20 fabrics, they measure you, and cut up a conservative suit that actually fits for $500. This is what I opted for and I am so glad I did! Look up tailoring shops around you and not just the dry cleaner who will let your pants out.

Just by luck I was walking through Macys again looking for the elusive perfect shirt when I found a great looking suit with a vest which was the only thing my made to measure suit was missing. It was on clearance for $100. At that price there wasn't much to lose. I had the pants hemmed, waist let out an inch, and now I've got a backup suit with a vest on the cheap. It is not near the quality of my M2M.

Tailoring is what makes you look GOOD in a suit. You will not look good in an untailored suit. Look to spend somewhere in the $50-100 range depending what you need done ( waist let out, sleeves shortened, butt taken in, pant leg hemmed). Another pearl is that in a suit you should show some of your shirt sleeves. In other words your suit sleeve should be slightly shorter than your shirt sleeve. As long as your suit is close in most measurements, you should be able to take it to a good tailor, again no dry leaner tailors here, and just let them know you are clueless and need their help. That's what I did at first!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes around Black Friday you can find deals. Kohls has suits this week for $140-$180. It may not be your first choice, but it is a start. H&M is also a cheap alternative. I actually bought my favorite suit at a thrift store and had it tailored.

Some good advice has been dispensed above. I'll share my experiences so that others won't have to repeat my mistakes!

For my med school interview, I wore a black untailored off the rack suit from a Van Heusen outlet store. In retrospect it had to look awful but it got the job done.

I lost some weight in med school, gained some confidence, and started looking to upgrade my wardrobe. I started at Joseph A Bank. Their slim fitting traveler shirts aren't too bad but even their "slim fit" pants could have clothed me and a friend. Plus they are cut to go up to about your belly button. I bought shoes there too and while very comfortable they are ugly and out of date. Basically, if you are young enough to apply to med school, you will not look or feel right in Jos A Bank clothes.

I kept those shirts but I had been a on a quest for the perfect dress shirt; slim fitting so it won't be too baggy, stylish but not loud, non wrinkle, won't break the bank, and to top it off the 32-33 sleeves were a hair short while the 34-35 sleeves bunched up. JC penny, macys, none of them fit the requirements. I finally found what I was looking for at Brooks Brothers. Sleeves are each inch, not the range like at many other places. I looked at a number of shirts that were either costlier, of lesser quality, but most were both. 2 years ago I would have balked at paying ~$60 for a shirt but the confidence boost, no need to iron, and durability make it worthwhile.

I needed a new suit for residency interviews. I had heard great things about a local taloring shop that makes their own suits. Fully custom suits (you pick fabric, number of buttons, what the lining is, etc) start around $800 but they also do made to measure where you get to pick from ~20 fabrics, they measure you, and cut up a conservative suit that actually fits for $500. This is what I opted for and I am so glad I did! Look up tailoring shops around you and not just the dry cleaner who will let your pants out.

Just by luck I was walking through Macys again looking for the elusive perfect shirt when I found a great looking suit with a vest which was the only thing my made to measure suit was missing. It was on clearance for $100. At that price there wasn't much to lose. I had the pants hemmed, waist let out an inch, and now I've got a backup suit with a vest on the cheap. It is not near the quality of my M2M.

Tailoring is what makes you look GOOD in a suit. You will not look good in an untailored suit. Look to spend somewhere in the $50-100 range depending what you need done ( waist let out, sleeves shortened, butt taken in, pant leg hemmed). Another pearl is that in a suit you should show some of your shirt sleeves. In other words your suit sleeve should be slightly shorter than your shirt sleeve. As long as your suit is close in most measurements, you should be able to take it to a good tailor, again no dry leaner tailors here, and just let them know you are clueless and need their help. That's what I did at first!

Out of curiosity, are you referring to the actual brooks brothers label shirts or the "346" ones sold at their outlets? I own a number of both but I'm not as happy with 346 - they're a bit cheaper but poorer quality, though still serviceable.

Out of curiosity, are you referring to the actual brooks brothers label shirts or the "346" ones sold at their outlets? I own a number of both but I'm not as happy with 346 - they're a bit cheaper but poorer quality, though still serviceable.
I've not tried the 346. It took me so long to find a shirt I liked ill probably stick with the Brooks Brother's labeled shirts for life! Now that I know how their shirts wear they have a much greater selection of designs online.

Some good brands that I like and aren't overly expensive:

Shirts - Brooks Brothers slim fit, then go to a good tailor and spend the $12-15 dollars to get the waist taken in if needed... will look like a custom shirt for $75-80.

Suit: Banana Republic probably offers the best cut suits at the under $500 range that I have found, go when they are having one of their frequent sales and you can probably get a nice suit for $300-400 total.

Shoes: any decent conservative shoe, just make sure it is shined and don't go for any of those terrible square toe ones

Tie: conservative and boring, don't be the guy with the Wallstreet style loud tie

That's all I've got!

Go look up "Macy's one day sale" They have it once a month and during that day suits can be up to 50% off. Higher end stuff like Hugo Boss and DKNY are also marked down! If you can wait for this sale definitely do it! I bought my suit, tie, shoes, socks and shirts all the same day and it literally saved me hundreds!

My son took us to Jos A Banks and I thought that the suits were not very nice for the cost and we needed ONE, not THREE, so they can keep the two free ones. We then went to Macy's where we found a very nice suit on the clearance rack for $149 and we used a coupon to get another percent off. It was a nice conservative Ralph Lauren navy suit. Much better quality then Jos A Banks. It did need to be altered and the alterations cost about $50 as the pants needed hem and jacket taken in. If you find a jacket that fits right away it will save a lot(hem is cheap) or if you go to a department store that does alterations. The most important thing is to make sure that your suit will be ready and that you pick it up a few days before you need it. My son had a quick interview to get ready for and his suit was going to be ready the day before. It was not there when he went to get it. The seamstress still had it at her home and they had to call her to hurry it back and press it. More stress then needed because last minute.

Make sure you take the strings out of the pockets that sew them closed.

Shoes should have laces, no loafers.

My son did not want a boring tie,but not a wild one so he chose dark red/rusty and I thought that that was a good choice.

PS Don't get so excited that you forget to shave. My oldest son forgot to shave for his first interview(he is in second year now)

Kohls entire store is always "on sale." You save money by using your Kohls card, they mail you coupons for 20-30% off your entire purchase, they give you "kohls cash" for every 50$ you spend. After all was said and done, I got a suit, a shirt, and a tie for $185, tax included.

I've never had a problem with Men's Warehouse. They have the 2 for 1 deals, but also suits that are supposedly slightly better and not two for one. No reason to be pressured into buying ties/shirts/shoes there, as I find they tend to be a bit too pricey for what they have especially with tailoring. My experiences with the tailors there have been hit or miss, so consider just buying the suit and then getting it tailored elsewhere by a stand alone tailor. Dry cleaners often know where they are located.

I won't lie, I have to disagree with some of the Jos. A Bank opinions. I wear a suit every week and my favorites are Jos. A Bank. Yes, off the shelf, they are a little bit large, but that is how it will be at any suit store that needs one size to fit many. So either make your body fit the suit (don't recommend that), or get it tailored exactly as you need it (much easier than putting on the weight). Your sales associate will suggest that you bring in the usual, but also look at things like the sleeves and legs. The quality is just fine. I have used my for years and they are fine. I wear that with some Brooks Brothers label shirts and it looks great.

I also have a tailored suit and if you can afford it, I always recommend that. You can get them for about $400 upwards.

I just wanted to chime in that some schools specifically score you on how professional you look. In all schools you will be judged in some way or another. You really don't want to jeopardize your chances at med school after paying for college, apps, and interviews just because you wanted to save some money on a suit, shoes, tie, etc. You don't need to spend $1000+, but you don't want to spend $100 and end up looking like a clown.

I just wanted to chime in that some schools specifically score you on how professional you look. In all schools you will be judged in some way or another. You really don't want to jeopardize your chances at med school after paying for college, apps, and interviews just because you wanted to save some money on a suit, shoes, tie, etc. You don't need to spend $1000+, but you don't want to spend $100 and end up looking like a clown.

Which schools judge you by your suit? I want to make sure I don't ever choose to matriculate there.

I think the "score you on how professional you look" involves the suit and tie. I can't imagine an admission committee sitting down and scoring who had the nicest suits. Oh, guy A and guy B both had a 3.87 and a 33. Guy A obviously spent more money on his suit, so let's pick him. No. Just no.

Your goal is to look professional, and comfortable while looking professional. Pre-meds are bad about trying to have the perfect everything. You don't need a 600$ suit. As an M4--I still don't own one. You can get 3-4 at 150-200$ and have some variety in case you have events to dress up for.

Are people seriously advising to only spend ~$200 on a suit? You're about to spend ~$200,000 on medical school, unless you are broke then this is not the time to be cheap. First impressions do matter and how you look does matter. And a good suit that will last you years is a great investment.

Buy a good suit, get it tailored, look good, feel good, kick ass during interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Are people seriously advising to only spend ~$200 on a suit? You're about to spend ~$200,000 on medical school, unless you are broke then this is not the time to be cheap. First impressions do matter and how you look does matter. And a good suit that will last you years is a great investment.

Buy a good suit, get it tailored, look good, feel good, kick ass during interviews.
I agree with you, but the OP clearly stated he doesn't have the budget to buy an expensive suit. If they're broke and just need something to get through interview season, spending a few hundred on a cheap suit + tailoring seems reasonable, if not ideal.

Which schools judge you by your suit? I want to make sure I don't ever choose to matriculate there.

Yeah! God forbid I go somewhere that emphasizes professionalism!!!

In all seriousness, as I and many many others have posted on these threads many many times, nobody is saying you can't get in with poor quality/ill-fitting/otherwise sub-optimal dress. However, there are conventions of standard business dress which it cannot hurt to adhere to - there is a "right" way of doing things. Why on earth would you spend thousands of hours over years of your life trying to make your application as competitive as possible and then turn around and say "welp, I don't care if I look like I don't know how to dress myself on interview day, and anyone who tries to judge me for it is a TOTAL JERK AND I'LL NEVER GO TO YOUR SCHOOL!!!!"

I don't understand why you and other posters continue to ignore these repeated disclaimers/caveats.

If you're on a budget, then you're on a budget. I bought a department store suit and had it tailored all for under $250 and have not had any problems. I felt really good during my interviews and got accepted to multiple schools, so clearly my low-budget suit didn't hold me back. You guys are making it seem like not spending gobs of money on your interview dress makes it impossible to look put together and professional.

As far as spending 200,000 on medical school--are you handing them 200,000$ cash up front? Most of us take it out in loans that we don't have to repay until we're doctors. I worked part time during college, and my parents helped me out with car insurance, cell phone bill, etc. I definitely didn't have 600$ laying around to get the nicest suit.

It's a great investment. If you have the money, there's nothing wrong with it. But the price of your suit isn't going to be the difference in an acceptance vs a wait list.

In all seriousness, as I and many many others have posted on these threads many many times, nobody is saying you can't get in with poor quality/ill-fitting/otherwise sub-optimal dress. However, there are conventions of standard business dress which it cannot hurt to adhere to - there is a "right" way of doing things. Why on earth would you spend thousands of hours over years of your life trying to make your application as competitive as possible and then turn around and say "welp, I don't care if I look like I don't know how to dress myself on interview day, and anyone who tries to judge me for it is a TOTAL JERK AND I'LL NEVER GO TO YOUR SCHOOL!!!!"

I don't understand why you and other posters continue to ignore these repeated disclaimers/caveats.
Exactly. Why not look at it as a way you can demonstrate to a school that you're serious enough to learn how to dress professionally? They're already judging us on countless other seemingly insignificant factors - at least this one is totally under our control

Exactly. Why not look at it as a way you can demonstrate to a school that you're serious enough to learn how to dress professionally? They're already judging us on countless other seemingly insignificant factors - at least this one is totally under our control

I don't know if you've read anyone's posts--but you act like the choice is between a good suit or a bad suit. For a lot of people it's going to be "how do I get 600+$ for a suit? There are other things people have to pay for. No one is going in and getting the cheapest rags money can buy and calling it a suit.

Medical school interviewers don't expect you to be the BEST dressed applicant in the world. Wearing A suit and tie shows you're serious enough to learn how to dress professionally. Wearing THE NICEST doesn't necessarily add a ton to it. People applying to medical schools come from all financial back grounds. Interviewers have long understood that. They don't have the attitude of "Find a way to get a good suit or don't bother coming."

If you're on a budget, then you're on a budget. I bought a department store suit and had it tailored all for under $250 and have not had any problems. I felt really good during my interviews and got accepted to multiple schools, so clearly my low-budget suit didn't hold me back. You guys are making it seem like not spending gobs of money on your interview dress makes it impossible to look put together and professional.

No you're absolutely right, you don't necessarily need to spend a ton of money in order to look nice. Actually, if you look at one my posts in this thread, I advise against Jos A Bank precisely because it's overpriced (among other reasons). A budget is a budget - and even if you have means, that's no excuse not to be a smart shopper. However, that doesn't change, or really have anything to do with the fact that there are sub-optimal decisions you can make when dressing yourself for an interview. I think it's perfectly reasonable to advise avoiding them.