Where to find Community Service Opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I've decided to take the popular advice on this forum and assume I will be a re-applicant until proven otherwise.
As such, I have decided to address my lack of non-clinical volunteer work.

So I was just wondering if anyone had tips on where to find part time community service opportunities?
I work 40 hour weeks so the only real free time I have is on weekends. Are there any national programs or organizations you know of that are receptive to part time volunteers?

Members don't see this ad.

Big Brothers Big Sisters is a good program. They have academic mentoring programs in addition to the one-on-one match programs. Not sure about details for the academic mentoring, but they want at least 1 year commitment for the matches.

Reactions: 1 users
Check out Americorps

Edit: sorry, just saw the 40 hour work week part. That won't work out too well. Honestly, I would just spend some time on Google seeing what opportunities are in the area. It's going to be a little tough to find a long term, meaningful activity, that's only on the weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
I've decided to take the popular advice on this forum and assume I will be a re-applicant until proven otherwise.

So I was just wondering if anyone had tips on where to find part time community service opportunities?
I work 40 hour weeks so the only real free time I have is on weekends. Are there any national programs or organizations you know of that are receptive to part time volunteers?

I recommend Habitat for Humanity.

Reactions: 1 user
I found a local nursing home that is looking for people to come in and visit the elderly/run the home coffee shop for a couple hours on weekends. I just sent in an application so we'll see what happens

I found a local nursing home that is looking for people to come in and visit the elderly/run the home coffee shop for a couple hours on weekends. I just sent in an application so we'll see what happens

I heard they're only interviewing gunners right now.

jk

That sounds good though! Cold calling will get you more opportunities than you think.

There are a lot of organizations that are receptive to part-time, evening or weekend volunteers.

My favorite weekend non-clinical programs are related to animals, wildlife sanctuaries, wildlife organizations and the outdoors.

For instance:

1. Many local and national zoos offer weekend voluntary docent programs. These zoos are often accustomed to working with college students; and many of the volunteer opportunities take place on weekends. Volunteers can participate as educational mentors (e.g., giving tours to kids) or as behind-the-scenes volunteers (e.g., animal care or assisting the zoo staff).

2. If you like kittens, cats, puppies and dogs, many animal rescue groups offer weekend volunteer opportunities. The volunteers schedule their own flexible hours. My local animal rescue group has 2 volunteers who are EM physicians: both of them live in the area and enjoy spending a few leisurely hours per month with the cats and dogs. They schedule their own volunteer hours, based on their respective EM schedules and availability.

3. If you live near a wilderness area, wilderness sanctuary, marine habitat or a national forest, you can apply for volunteer positions at these venues. Many national forests welcome student volunteers, on weekends and in the summertime. Some students become voluntary student rangers and spend a lot of time outdoors, or giving tours to kids, or checking hiking trails, or whatever.

4. Animal shelters also welcome part-time volunteers. If you live in a city or a town, an animal shelter is probably located near you that would welcome you as a weekend volunteer.

By the way, have you noticed that many Adcoms, Professors, Deans and PIs have animals in their avatars? Just saying! :)

Last edited:
I've found that local food banks are awesome if you need something flexible. The two I have volunteered at have no application and just an online section where you can sign up for a shift. So you could pick up a regular Saturday morning or afternoon shift or add more as time allows. It's nice because it's not as drawn out as the process to get involved with some other organizations. However, I'm sure you'll be in at med school next year, good luck!!

@RogueBanana I fostered kittens, it was fantastic and I ended up putting in a ton of hours, playing with tons of adorable kittens, and never buying cat litter. There's tons of opportunity to be had and they're usually very good with documenting/providing references to volunteers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Big Brothers Big sisters is the best... but I am also a fan of nursing home.... If you are into sports, you can get some buddies together and coach a youth team... I did this with friends and was one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done, one of my interviewers loved it. Practices are usually 1-2 times a week outside of working hours and games are on weekends!

Big Brothers Big sisters is the best... but I am also a fan of nursing home.... If you are into sports, you can get some buddies together and coach a youth team... I did this with friends and was one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done, one of my interviewers loved it. Practices are usually 1-2 times a week outside of working hours and games are on weekends!

Oh, thanks for reminding me. You can also coach a Special Olympics team. Super cool.

Local houses of worship are a great place to start! I volunteer at a soup kitchen that happens to be in a church and it's a ton of fun and there's a really diverse crowd, which is so cool. I've met a grad student from Japan, an Indian immigrant who is an amazing cook, a smattering of Mormon missionaries, a lot of townsfolk, and some fellow students. I literally filled out an application with just my email and name and got an email back right away and basically just showed up.

Also check out food pantries, animal shelters, and homeless shelters. They always need people!

1) Habitat for Humanity- get going on this NOW. It takes a lot of time to get into a project usually.
2) Nursing homes on Saturdays
3) Big Brothers/ Any "Saturday School" tutoring
4) Humane/Audubon society
5) Homeless shelters
6) Parks and rec projects

And many more...

Your local houses of worship will have plenty of ideas for you.

Hey all,

I contacted my local animal shelters (i love animals) and I'm going to begin volunteering there on weekends.

This will be a long term commitment, plus I live 5 minutes from the shelter!

I know this isn't as deep as reading to hospice patients, but I really do care about the cause. I didn't know shelters took volunteers so easily!

Thanks everyone.

I "+2" on Habitat for Humanity! You can be a crew leader on Saturdays and days run from about 8-3:30pm.