Where to find examples of good LORS online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaussr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote mine but i am really scared it's not good enough or i wrote about the wrong information. Please direct me to a site.

Members don't see this ad.

If you wrote it, it's a bad LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you writing your own LOR? Is that even kosher?

Some professors ask the student to write a LOR for themselves.

Not saying he has bad writing skills, I'm saying if you had to write your own LOR, that means your teacher didn't really like you enough to write one for you or is too lazy. I think it's hard for a student to write a convincing LOR for themselves.

I wrote mine but i am really scared it's not good enough or i wrote about the wrong information. Please direct me to a site.

I'm in the same position, so if anyone has any good response or advice for this question, please let me know as well.

Also, I don't think it's right that anyone writing their own LOR is destined for a bad letter. On the contrary, I definitely know myself way better than the professor does, and I know what type of stuff I would find useful/flattering (what I would want to see in the ideal letter about myself). The general consensus in a thread I started on this topic was along these lines. I think that the only thing that could make it a bad letter is if it sounds nothing like a typical LOR in style...which is exactly why the OP posted.

So you guys are looking for the "perfect" med school LOR?

Not saying he has bad writing skills, I'm saying if you had to write your own LOR, that means your teacher didn't really like you enough to write one for you or is too lazy. I think it's hard for a student to write a convincing LOR for themselves.
Who gives a crap what the professor thinks? If he lets you write your own, it's a golden ticket. Make the most of the opportunity. If you look into it a little, as the OP is doing, you should be able to make yourself seem like a god.

Wow, that's crazy. My profs who wrote letters treated it like it was sacred. One wouldn't even use interfolio at first because he thought I would be able to look at it.

Who gives a crap what the professor thinks? If he lets you write your own, it's a golden ticket. Make the most of the opportunity. If you look into it a little, as the OP is doing, you should be able to make yourself seem like a god.

Exactly. Not to mention that by having this opportunity, you are taking the one part of your application which you typically have little to no direct control over and changing that.

So does anyone have any response for the OP?

I've searched for LORs online, but they're mostly examples for business, employment, grad school, etc., and are often very generic ("I've known xyz for 2 years, he has been a great student, blah blah"). It ends up seeming clear that they are not "real" but are some BS templates dreamt up by an advice site.

I've already written my letter, but I'm trying to find something somewhere that might let me optimize it in case I have formatting wrong, or if there's something that I should have discussed but didn't...