Where to live in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbuckeye

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be moving to Chicago to begin residency at JHS Cook County Hospital in June and am trying to get a head start on finding a place to live. Does anyone living in Chicago have an idea of affordable places (2 bedroom) to buy/rent that would not be too terrible of a commute to Cook County. How far is too far when looking for housing? What neighborhoods should I focus on? How do most residents travel(car vs. train?) to work? Any help is welcome, as I have never lived in such a big city before. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

In a van, down by the river.

Travel by car. Trust me. Beyond that, real estate is not cheap.

I used to live in Chicago and can probably offer you helpful advice...are you looking to live in or near the city or more of a suburbs feel?

Suburbs vs. City doesn't really matter much too me. Safety and ease of commute are probably the two biggest factors in the decision. Is there a significant difference in price between the two? I would love to buy (condo vs. small home), but obviously on a resident's salary and my wife pregnant, renting might be more the reality.

Anything on the north side would be fine. Bucktown, Lakeview, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park.

I think the West Loop is another good bet. Very up and coming. You can rent; but since there are a bunch of new condo developments going up there you might also be able to get in on something early and buy. The west loop is pretty close to cook county which is on the city's west side.

If you are renting Tri-Taylor area is close

I also second Doc Ivy's suggestion of the West Loop. It's slightly more sketchy but they are putting up a lot of new developments and it will he a hot place to live in short order.

Here is a basic neighborhood map:

http://www.rubloff.com/inside/maps.html

Do a search... I know this topic has been discussed before.

If you don't want to reply, don't waste your time telling people to "do a search." Not only is it annoying, but it's not helpful at all. We can all see the search button on the toolbar, but sdn's search feature sucks and never brings up relevent results, and in addition to that, things change and advice from months ago isn't always applicable to now.

Fer god's sake. :mad: :mad: :(

I am from Chicago, and would add a couple of points. If you don't mind public transportation, the El runs right to Cook County. Therefore, any place near an El line will work, including the North Side (Lake view, Lincoln Park, etc). The busses also run there, but I don't know their hours.

If you are driving, I would not recommend going too far away. Traffic is TERRIBLE almost 24/7, even in that area. A friend and I were coming back from Michigan on a Sunday at 11 pm and sat in traffic. There is new construction going up near the hospital, also just north of the Bulls Stadium. A friend rented up there during medical school...on West Grand or West Ohio (can't remember) and that is a decent neighborhood. We used to go running together from her place, so it is reasonably safe.

It is expensive to live in or near Chicago. However, it is a fun city, and on your time off there is a ton to do, great places to eat, etc. I would love to go practice in the city, but malpractice is wicked. :(

If you need more detailed advice, PM me; I would be glad to help. Just sad that malpractice is nicer in Wisconsin...:smuggrin:

Thanks ya'll for the tips, it is much appreciated. Does the EL train run all night or does it have off hours? How safe is the train system? Does anyone know anything about living in the "burbs"? Someone told me that if you don't mind a little commute you can find cheaper housing in the nearby suburbs.

I think the El closes from midnight to 5 am or something. You can look it up online... there should be info and maps. The suburbs can be a little cheaper, but not much. Also, a short distance from the hospital can be a long commute. As a MS4 I lived 3 miles from one hospital, and it routinely took 30-45 min to drive each way. No joke. My PD said I could run to and from work faster, and he was right.

To get to the west suburbs fom Cook Co, you would take I290 and it is notoriously terrible for traffic at any time of day or night. Plus, Cook is only about 2 miles from "the merge", or the junction of the Dan Ryan (I94 south of the city), Kennedy (I94 north of the city) and I290, which is a nightmare of slowness. Thus any back up eastbound will translate to a long back up on I290.

You may be a better driver than I am, but since I have been in two accidents post call (one into a building), I am glad I live within a 5 minute drive of my hospital. I would get in touch with current residents and see where they live.

Lastly, "safe" on public transportation is partly a matter of awareness. Any part of the city can be dangerous if you are not aware of your surroundings and your neighborhood. People in the city mind their own business, and are not chatty. When I moved back South, people thought I was rude, because I don't strike up conversations on the elevator, at the gas pump, in lines, etc.

I never felt unsafe, but I knew the few areas to avoid... the area around Cook Co. is safe if you are aware and careful about going out alone at night. There are some very unsafe areas within blocks of the hospital, but again, I did several rotations as a student, and did not worry a lot. Talk to your coworkers; they will be a good source of info.

And to reiterate, I love the city; Chicago is a great place to live. Too bad about the malpractice issues. :p

Live close and drive or take the train/bus. You'll gouge your eyes out in the traffic. Even at 6.15am it takes forever to drive on 290 or 90/94. Absolute misery. For Cook, I agree West Loop is good (not sketchy anymore, really, heck, it's almost trendy ... ), Taylor St. (a little sketchy, and lots of undergrads, but more affordable), Mag Mile/Gold Coast/Rush has some rentals that are pricey but close enough, south loop. Then the neighborhoods that I actually like, Bucktown, Wicker Park are a little harder to get to-and-fro with the El, but you can drive easily.

I'm so jealous. I wanted to match in Chicago so bad.
-S

I agree with SimulD. Don't do the burbs.

One of the best things about Chi-town is living Downtown, in the Loop or in one of the yuppy/artsy neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Old Town or Wriggleyville ;) In the burbs you won't have as good access to the lake, and all the great bars and clubs the city has to offer. Everytime you want to hang out with friends you'll have to get in your car and drive 45 minutes to the city while your peeps can hop in a cab or on the El.

I love living in bucktown, but it can be over-priced. i think the ukranian village is an excellent place to live because it's still close and so much cheaper. just live by one of the many buses that go straight south to cook county!

you can always ask the residents in your program now . . . a great deal of people working at county live within walking distance (cheap area with no need for a car) . . . tri-taylor, little italy. i went to med school next door and spent 3 years in pilsen (a hispanic neighborhood directly south of Stroger by ~1.5 miles). i had a car, so i often drove; but proximity gave me the option of walking or hopping on the ashland bus.

I'd recommend little Italy--the neighborhood just east of Ashland street, as close as four blocks from CC. Mix of students, yuppies, and (oldish) italians, other familes that have lived there for generations. Good resaurants, two nice-sized parks. You can easily walk to CC, and I feel safe doing so at pretty much any time of night. Two bedroom can run from $700 to $$$. Average would likely be around $1000. Nice neigborhood feel.

Less expensive, but not as nice is tri-taylor--the neighborhood west of CC. More up-and-coming, not as safe, cheaper, but not dirt-cheap anymore. Easily walkable to CC, but I would be very cautious to do so at all hours or after dark. Still relatively safe and very close.

Close but not walking distance are Pilsen (Mexican neighborhood), and Near West/Greektown--highrises and converted condos.

Just my two cents worth...There certainly are more popular (and expensive) neighborhoods, but farther away (Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Old Town, Wicker Park, etc.).

I live one block east of Ashland and one block north of Taylor and the neighborhood is quite and seemingly safe. Rent varies for a 2bdrm from 1000-1800. Some options within walking distance include:

1. Rent from MD city, close by and expensive 1bdrm for ~1400
2. Buy a condo from Roosevelt Square starting at 285K, also very close
3. Find a realter off Taylor street between Loomis and Ashland, there are a ton and they will find you something decent for how much you are willing to pay.

I currently live on Polk near its cul-de-sac at Loomis, so its a straightshot to either CC or my med school.

Take your time and do not go for something that looks awesome and is really cheap.. well... unless you like living in the ghetto.

IMO, the ghetto line is defined as anything south of Roosevelt and west of the medical district. Spend some time and feel the areas out.. it is totally obvious what I am talking about.

Good Luck, I was in your position last year in June.

i am seriously thinking about a residency that is far far south (95th and cicero). any ideas about where to live in the city that wouldnt be a super long and annoying commute?

flipflopsinsnow . . . Christ, huh? I would say live wherever you want . . . there really isn't anything fun around there. cheap burbs but not fun. i'd check out the south loop/printers row area. coming from the north, you'll either be taking 90/94 south to 95th, or 55 south to cicero. i prefer the latter, particularly with the work on 90/94 these days. anyway, if you keep where you're going to be driving from in mind, you'll see that the loop isn't going to take you much longer in commute than boring neighborhoods along 55.

i am seriously thinking about a residency that is far far south (95th and cicero). any ideas about where to live in the city that wouldnt be a super long and annoying commute?

Look into Hyde Park. It's one of the neighborhoods undergoing gentrification. Culturally diverse, lots of condo rehabs, nice student vibe since UofC is closeby, a few neat restaurants.

Hyde Park is a really good option. It isn't too expensive (at least compared to other areas in Chicago) and there are a few decent restaurants. There isnt a ton of nightlife type stuff, its filled with U of C students though, so I never understood why there aren't more options, but maybe that's cause U of C students study all the time? There are several really good local bookstores though. If you are looking to buy a condo, south of the Midway (the southern border of the U of C campus) is undergoing gentrification as well and the prices there are pretty affordable.

Anyway if you are living on the South Side, Hyde Park is pretty much your only safe option. Sometimes there is crime in Hyde Park, but it very rarely affects U of C students directly.

Roscoe Village ain't too bad.