Where to live in Philly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

heather

PCOM students: I am moving there next summer from Texas. Where is a good place to live in Philly? How much for a one bedroom?

Heather

Members don't see this ad.

I withdraw

[This message has been edited by WishUponAStar (edited 12-24-2000).]

Hey thanks for the reply. I am also going to check with the housing office for some more options.

Heather

Members don't see this ad :)
Wishupon has no idea what he/she is talking about, you can't 'just' hop on the Blue Rt. from PCOM and head to that part of NJ. Stay local around school, it's worth it. Plenty of nice reasonable places, just ask around. Don't bother with NJ.

I am with row...stay close.

There are numerous housing options in and very near the city.

There are plenty of apartment buildings and such.

Call "Urban and Bye" realtors. I don't have a phone number for them, but I am sure it is readily available online somewhere.

Also, you may want to speak with people and possibly get a roomate, or go for a studio apartment. Look into Presidential City Apartments. www.presidentialcity.com (I think)

Very nice apartments, severl different type living quarters to chose from. Maybe a bit more expensive, but it can be worth the price.

Even if you need to live closer to center city, PCOM is an easy ride on the bus (12 minutes from 30th street station), and the bus runs quite frequently.

Again, plenty of places. Ask current PCOM students who may be moving out...try and grab a place from them.

Best of luck to you!!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

Without getting into any arguments over who's right and who's not, all I will say is I strongly recommend living near school vs living further away. You will spend many extra hours in the building outside of scheduled classes in labs and group study (especially in first trimester) that life will be very difficult if you live far away.

Wishuponastar... whoa! What's up with the hostility!?! We're all here to give advise to others. Everyone's advice is GOOD advice. I just depends on how you look at things. Take a more holistic approach at this situation!

Like the "Lion King" always says, "Hakuna Matata." No worries...

No matter how you look at it, PCOM is just around the corner.

WishUponAstar:

Yeah, you really know your way around. Well enough to realize that 676 is the Blue Route, right? Wrong, 476 is the Blue Route. You're horrible w/ directions as well. Plain and simple: live near school and don't listen to WishUponbaddirections.

Hi Heather,

I am at first year at PCOM, and like some of the others said, you should definitely live as close to school as possible because you'll be spending lots of time there. Anyway, if you are looking for some specifics, go to philly.com and go to the apartment hunt section. As an FYI, there are TONS of apartments around school, so you shouldn't worry about housing just yet. However, if you are looking for specific places, alot of people live at Presidential City Apts, Lincoln Green Apts and Imperial Towers (to name a few). However, there are quite a few in the area. You should definitely consider coming out for a weekend (when the weather is warmer) to look at each of the apartments.

Hope this helps! Congrats on your acceptance and good luck next year!!
smile.gif

Living close to school is a huge advantage. Although a number of students commute some distance to school every day, usually they are ones who are from around the area and are familiar with different routes to school if traffic backs up, etc. The furthest I would go out is Manayunk (or an equivalent distance) - there are some pretty nice townhouse style places over there.

Some people find the drive home a chance to clear their minds. I agree with this thinking, but there are times when the driving would be a little too much for me. For example, around exam time (like biochem last week-ugh!) you don't want to waste a whole lot of time driving because you will be pressed as hell for time.

Also, if you need to make two trips to school in a single day, living close is a great advantage. If I need to check for scribe notes or meet up for OPP exam practice it is very easy to get to school.

So DON'T live in Jersey! It is a long cab ride after you get bombed out of your skull at the Manayunk Brewing Co. after the first gross anatomy exam. Or the head and neck exam at mad Anthony's! Or Halloween parties.

Look around at a lot of places because unfortunately a number of complexes are quite dumpy for the money. But if you look around enough you will find something that suits you. Lincoln Green is VERY pricey but nice. I am not a big fan of the Presidential, but a number of people live there and seem to like it OK.

The office of student affairs has a list of places nearby but I am not sure how accurate or up to date it is. Plus the director there is absolutely useless. Start looking around early, because some places require you to check pretty far in advance. However, as others have said, there are TONS of places around and stuff is always available.