Where to look for Apts near NYU Langone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted322863

I matched to NYC and extremely excited that I will spend at least the next three years there.I hardly know anyone in NYC to guide my apt hunting and unable to find good info about the neighborhoods. I have been looking for a 1 BR Apt within a reasonable commuting distance( max 30-40 min) and a reasonable price for the size-It doesn't have to be in Manhattan. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
depends on your price range.
I would say if you want a 1 bedroom it would be around $1500-2200 in Manhattan and/or Brooklyn. And no it wont be what you expect in America. New York City is a different world. Don't expect to have a washer/dryer dishwasher etc in your apartment if the cost is under $2000. I'm a new yorker, so speaking from experience. I love my city to death but its so expensive it makes me want to cry sometimes. Also you need to be making 40 times the monthly rent to secure the lease.

The good places to look would be the following:
1. Harlem and Washington Heights. A bit further, but theyre pretty gentrified and the apartments are VERY cheap compared to lower Manhattan, downtown Brooklyn etc. try to avoid Lenox avenue, and anything east of 100th street. Stick to the west side. avoid east harlem.
2. Brooklyn is pretty awesome. Williamsburg, Park Slope and Red Hook are AMAZING but Very pricey, but there is Green point, Bed Sty, Bay Ridge, Sunset Park to look towards.
3. Queens- I personally hate it but look around Astoria Blvd, good priced apts there
4. Upper East side Manhattan, usualy very cheap apartments, small and old, but cheap.

Best tip i can give you, if you want to live closer to the hospital, you should look at Craigslist and find roommates. Honestly, you cant go wrong with roommates in lower Manhattan.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
IMO Bay Ridge is pretty awesome. Had I matched to a NY program, I would have lived in Bay Ridge (my wife also loved the area).

Thanks you brooklynMD& jithedestroyer! Definitely target my searches to those areas.

Bay Ridge and most of Brooklyn is far from NYU (NYC far), it will take you closer to 45-60 min to get to langone, depending where you are. If at the main hospital, it will take an additional 10-15 min walk from the 6 train to first ave. your best bet is to live in NYU housing (if you can nab a place). Check out the waterside plaza apartments or anything in kips bay/murray hill. for more affordable options, the east side of the upper east side is great, but apartments are small and there are alot of walkups, but not bad. Should take you about 15 min to get to langone. Look anywhere under 97th street. If you go to Astoria in queens, it will only take you 20 minutes to get to Langone and is a great place to live. The best spots in brooklyn will be dumbo or brooklyn heights, but you're lookin at a 30-45 min commute time and the prices of manhattan.

Streeteasy is a really good website to find apts. Corcoran and elliman are ok, but they usually have only really expensive options. Craigslist is alright for queens/astoria and some parts of brooklyn, but fairly unreliable in manhattan (alot of bait and switches, "oh that apt you see is unavailable but i can show you another like it")

best of luck finding a place and at NYU!

bostonite,thank you for the great info! I have been searching using pad-mapper/craigslist and will add Streeteasy into the mix. I looked into NYU's housing & 1BR at waterside costs $2400/month,which is a reasonable price given the location.I figured i would save least a couple of hundred dollars,if i rented a bit farther.

no worries, hope it helps. Yea, you will definitely save by renting a bit further away. you can grab a reasonable 1 bed in the upper east side for 1800-2100 and can go as low as 1500-1700 for a decent 1 bed in astoria.

So unless your married you should get a studio. The apt at waterside is a doorman elevator building large enough for my wife and baby. Retail for that apt is $3500. Don't know if the other poster lived in NYC but taking the R-train to Langone from bayridge takes an hour and a half at best. So don't live there. Parking can be $300 plus a month or moving your car from side to side on e street. Take the housing t Greenberg hall live across the street from the hospital and enjoy working and living in the city once you become more senior and don't have to come in as early you can explore other areas and move out.

Of course if your married they you may want to go to Astoria, Harlem or brooklyn for space

Search Brooklyn too, you'll find a bigger appt for sure. Do remember everything in nyc is super expensive. And don't expect to look at less than 20appts before u find the right one, its a daunting task- but you'll find a good place!
For me i wanted a dishwasher, laundry room and 2 bathrooms so i had to move about 30mins from W4th street NYU main campus, but my apartment is massive and gut renovated, and I pay as much as my friends do for their rooms in the west/east village lol.

Avoid broadway, lenox and amsterdam after 130tg street, fredrick douglas blvd is a good spot between 125-145, i lived around there it had a lot of stuff around as well as the abcd trains

How much does living further away affect "experiencing the city?"

Somewhat. But less so than working 80h/6d a week will. If you live close, you can catch "experiences" more easily when you have some down time. If you're spending that time trucking out to Kew Gardens or Midwood on the subway, you lose those chances.

Honestly, it doesn't. I have lived in midtown Manhattan right on Columbus Circle and it was great but tourists are annoying after a while. During my broke days I lived in east flatbush and hated it, NEVER move there lol. but now im in midwood and im exactly 30 minutes to the greenich village where fun stuff happens, i guess? I don't do touristy things, but my friends and I hang out at different places either in the city or brooklyn, or my SO and i like to go on dates to nice places which are present in both boroughs. Again, I don't like Queens so i never go there so can't say what its like commuting from there.

I needed my VERY large apartment with my own washer dryer, dishwasher, balcony extra bedroom and bathroom after a point, so my husband and i decided we should move away from the city, i live next to an express train so i never have a problem getting into the city. However please note, the MTA sucks, you will hate yourself for taking the subway, for no reason other than the subways can be super incompetent. Theyre great, but they are old like pretty much everything in NYC, so they get delayed, they get stuck underground they might not have air conditioning during the summer etc etc etc so you can just hate life because of them sometimes, despite them being 24hrs and convenient... That being said, look at whats important to you.

Ask yourself do you want to be in the west village living in a shoebox for $3500 or more (youre not going to pay less than that for a small appt in lower Manhattan). Or do you want more space for $2000. The east side is cheaper than the west, why i really don't know. I don't like the waterside plaze location, it wasn't for me. My friend has been living there her whole life and loves it.
Do you mind commuting 30-45minutes door to door, or do you get repulsed by the idea? Do you have kids? Do you need parking spots for your car? Can you afford it? Is it close to the subway (most important)!!!?
There Sty Town too and Peter Cooper village, its broker fee free.

I would also suggest you visit new york, and you get on cityspade, zillow, streeteasy (i found my new place on streeteasy as it shows more apts with no brokers fee) and look for a place, go to neighborhoods, make a budget, if you're moving from American (lol) to NYC get prepared to realize the things you had are probably luxury items here for instance a washer/dryer in the unit. Hate washing dishes? good luck because old apartments don't tend to have them.

Take a tour of nyc, avoid times square like the plague, spend time on the subway, see what you want to experience, and how close you want to be to it.

Having said that I LOVE my city <3
and welcome to the Empire State!

Also NYU Langone is Kips bay/Midtown east not Greenwich village(undergrad campus)... The cost of a 1 bedroom in Harlem or Brooklyn or Astoria is about $1800-2200 add a doorman or dishwasher and it may be equivalent to the NYU housing which are all door man elevator building with laundry on-site. Again I'm talking 1st ave btw 23rd And 34th. Also add $116 a month for commuting into the city, 45 min -1hr and it may not be that great a deal. Take the housing at waterside and move out the city you second year. Finding an apt in NYC is a con with broker fee deposits and shady land lords if your out of state the cost can out weight the benefits.

Go to the website walkscore.com or download the app.

It lets you search for apartments within a certain commute time of your workplace and let's you say other things like "must be within x blocks of the 6 line". Not sure the apartment search is that great with walk score, but the cool thing is it draws where you can live on the map.

Eg for you, you really want to be within 30 min public transportation from the hospital, which gives you the option of west side south of 72, east side south of 125, Williamsburg, Long Island city, and a few scattered other areas that are more remote (Jersey city close to train, within a few blocks of 125 st ABCD on west side, Brooklyn Heights/DUMBO, etc).

For actually searching for an apartment (not just visualizing where you can live), Street Easy also offers a search with commute time (not sure how great it is and it might require a fee, but overall Street Easy us a great apartment tool for NYC).

Don't underestimate the importance of public transportation in New York (even if you're bringing a car) or a quick commute time intern year. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

To me some of the best NYC experiences to be had are outside manhattan anyway. Currently living in brooklyn (fort greene) - less tourists, less busy, more cultural diversity, much better value in just about everything, better restaurants IMO, cooler bars, better music scene (williamsburg). Definitely worth a look, to me its worth the 45min commute ill face for residency.

Also i just couldn't face coughing up a full 2 months rent for a broker fee (not a deposit - you wont see that money again) which seems to be the standard in manhattan.

Can anyone speak about east village living?

Last edited:
Can anyone speak more about Waterside plaza and covenience in getting to NYU/Bellevue/VA? Or any photos or other details? I've heard it's far from the subway, but the m15 bus is nearby?
It's literally right across the street (with the street being FDR Drive) from the hospital complex. 5-10 min walk.

15 min walk to the L at 1st Ave. 25 min walk to Union Sq. Don't take the bus.

Man, the subsidized housing in Manhattan is fricking unbelieble. I can get a subsidized studio in Manhattan right now for less than 1k. I should just sublet it out an make a profit. LOL.

Can anyone comment on the subsidized housing at Greenberg Hall across from NYUMC? Also, I talked with residents who live in Greene Point and Long Island City and they really enjoy it! They enjoy the local bars, restaurants, larger apts and said the commute wasn't too bad.

Lived in Greenberg for a year view of the Empire State Building and walk to work... Lots of bars in Murray hill

Can anyone comment on how much you pay for month in NYU subsidized housing? I'm looking at a place like waterside or greenberg hall. Thanks!