This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MikeLee-Son

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve always wanted to go to med school for psychiatry, but I 1.) never thought I could do it and 2.) didn’t think I could pay for it. I became a teacher instead, and while in that career, I got a PhD in psychology (I thought it would make me a better teacher if I better understood motivation, emotions, etc). As I completed the degree, I started to feel like, “huh, maybe I could have done med school after all” but still didn’t think I could pay for it. A couple of years ago, I decided to move into counseling and therapy, and with my PhD in hand, became a counseling psychologist. A few months after I got licensed to counsel, the military rated me at 100% disability, and this comes along with 100% tuition reimbursement. So here I am now, thinking I can do it AND having a way to pay for it.

My question, though, is this: I now have two masters (Education and Counseling) and a PhD (Psychology). Where does this put me with regard to applying to medical school? I planned on going back next semester to refresh my chemist, biology, physics, and the other core competencies for med school, but is it necessary? Would I be competitive if I just applied right away? Would it be better to go back and get an entire BS in something more pertinent (i.e. biology/chemistry)?

I feel like I have all these tools, but I’m just not sure which ones are relevant. Thoughts?

Oh, and to paint a bit of context, I’m 34, married, have three children (no more coming), and still practicing as a counseling psychologist.