Where to put 3rd year honors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shocker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering where to put honors for clerkships, is it

1. "Medical School Awards"
or
2. "Other Awards/Accomplishments"

Initially I would think Med school awards, but they are not awards. Accomplishments sounds more appropriate but the wording implies non-med school related to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't list them at all. They should be listed in your Dean's Letter along with all your other grades.

Good point, thanks!

I was wondering the same thing, but at our class meeting for 4th year, they told us specificially not to list honors in 3rd year on our own CV's or on ERAS.

Getting honors in a rotation is a grade, simply like getting an A or B, not an award or accomplishment, hence it belongs on the transcript. I can't imagine what a program director would think about an applicant who puts this on their CV. If I were a program director, I would probably not invite the applicant to an interview based on that. It seems like an easy enough way to weed out some of the 100s of applicants.

I wouldn't list them at all. They should be listed in your Dean's Letter along with all your other grades.

yep, i was told the same thing. the only thing i would even think about maybe listing (all the ambiguity is intentional) would be Honoring the clerkship you're going into (or it's closest neighbor, such as surgery for a urology applicant - stuff like that). not an issue for me though so i haven't put much thought into it.

Odd. I've been told by a couple of attendings that they listed clerkship honors under their "Awards" section of the CV.

YMMV, I guess.

Like Blade28, I have also been told (by my school no less) to put clerkship honors on the ERAS app. I understand what you all are saying. Not sure what I'm going to do...

Some people list them, some don't.

It makes absolutely no difference. We will be reviewing your transcripts and Dean's letters, we will not miss you Honor grades, or lack thereof.

I personally think that listing them as Awards is silly, but I don't "penalize" anyone for doing so.

What's really silly is when someone lists an Honors as an award, and the Dean's letter points out that 90% of the class gets honors. Some award....