Where to Store LOR's? (Letters of Recommendation/Evaluation)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellaEXE

Reaction score
I am currently a high school senior concurrently enrolled at a local college. I'm looking to put together as many letters as I possibly can from freshman year to senior year, but can not find out where to keep them. Interfolio is a service that does just what I need, but requires payment. I believe AMCAS does not store letters from year to year, although I could be wrong. Should I just get printed LOR's from professors and hold onto them until senior year, then submit them individually?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a high school senior concurrently enrolled at a local college. I'm looking to put together as many letters as I possibly can from freshman year to senior year, but can not find out where to keep them. Interfolio is a service that does just what I need, but requires payment. I believe AMCAS does not store letters from year to year, although I could be wrong. Should I just get printed LOR's from professors and hold onto them until senior year, then submit them individually?

Interfolio is the way to go. Also, freshman year is a bit early to begin storing letters. Many schools will want LORs to be dated within a year of application, so there's a chance you may have to obtain these letters again several years down the road (at which point the professor may/may not be responsive). I would begin "collecting" letters early junior year at the earliest (or sophomore year if you apply junior year). Otherwise, just keep in contact with any profs you get along with, and plan to ask them later on.

I agree with @enchantments. Those letters will be almost useless by the time you actually apply. You should wait at least 2 years. Additionally, you should ALWAYS have confidential LORs, so your printed versions that you have access to will be completely useless, if not a detriment.

I believe AMCAS does not store letters from year to year, although I could be wrong.
You are correct. Letters would need to be submitted to AMCAS for each application season in which you engage.
Additionally, you should ALWAYS have confidential LORs, so your printed versions that you have access to will be completely useless, if not a detriment.
You must agree to waive the right to see your LORs if you want them to have value.
Interfolio is the way to go
Last time I looked, Interfolio didn't charge to store the letters, just to send them out.

Reactions: 1 users