Where to take ochem lab after graduation??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonade123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be graduating from UCLA this June, and as I am not a science major, I'll be graduating without my last premedical prerequisiste: ochem lab. At UCLA, we have a sequence of two quarters of ochem lecture and then only one quarter of ochem lab+lecture.

If I take the semester course of ochem lecture+lab at a Cal State University, will that satisfy the ochem lab requirement? If so, would I have to take ochem lab I or ochem lab II at a Cal State to fulfull it?

I've talked to various counselors and none are any help at all, so I could use some advice! I can't take the lab at UCLA in the summer either bc they've filled up already, and they don't offer the lab through Extension classes either.

Members don't see this ad.

Take it at UCLA... you still might be able to get in even if the course is full. You can take courses even after you've graduated, at least for one quarter. Plus taking a quarter of o-chem > taking a semester of o-chem.

Take it at UCLA... you still might be able to get in even if the course is full. You can take courses even after you've graduated, at least for one quarter. Plus taking a quarter of o-chem > taking a semester of o-chem.

That would be ideal, but if I were to take it at UCLA after graduation, I would have to pay for rent and all since I can't commute there. I'm applying this June, so saving as much money as possible is a priority. If I were to take it at a Cal State, though, would one semester of ochem lecture+lab fulfill the requirement?

That would be ideal, but if I were to take it at UCLA after graduation, I would have to pay for rent and all since I can't commute there. I'm applying this June, so saving as much money as possible is a priority. If I were to take it at a Cal State, though, would one semester of ochem lecture+lab fulfill the requirement?

The problem is that each school has their own requirements. You might be okay, and you might not. The only way to find out is to literally contact every school you plan on applying to. It'll be tedious, but I would probably do it if I were you to avoid potentially wasting money in the event that you can't take it at a UC.

I would think that most schools would be okay with it, but I was pretty surprised at how strict some of the LOR requirements were when I applied... in this process you're better safe than sorry.