Where would be the best place to go after graduating from NYU dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Namelessking

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had a post up earlier complaining about NYU's debt load (450-500k) and realized that I would need a high paying job in order to slam those down. I realize NYC is pretty saturated but where would be the best area to go in New York state to get a higher starting salary? The jobs that do exist for associate dentists are all aspen and other corporate chains. Would another state be more feasible? I would prefer the northeast. Realistically, would it be possible to start making 180k a few years (3-5) in as an associate? I really have no interest in owning a practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably out in the mid west is where all the higher paying jobs are at.

Reactions: 1 user
So I had a post up earlier complaining about NYU's debt load (450-500k) and realized that I would need a high paying job in order to slam those down. I realize NYC is pretty saturated but where would be the best area to go in New York state to get a higher starting salary? The jobs that do exist for associate dentists are all aspen and other corporate chains. Would another state be more feasible? I would prefer the northeast. Realistically, would it be possible to start making 180k a few years (3-5) in as an associate? I really have no interest in owning a practice.
Don't forget you'll need to do at least a GPR/AEGD for that NY dental license. I would personally look to move to another part of the country.

Big Hoss

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoss is correct. You will not be able to work anywhere in NY without completing a PG program.

Don't forget you'll need to do at least a GPR/AEGD for that NY dental license. I would personally look to move to another part of the country.

Big Hoss
This just sounds like another drawback apart from the ivy league cost without the benefits

This just sounds like another drawback apart from the ivy league cost without the benefits

They're definitely playing the people who got accepted (myself included). Assuming I live at home, at the end of four years it would still be ~50k more expensive than Stonybrook over 4 years. Stony rejected me (because my school didn't really give a crud about getting my committee letters through on time) but for comparison's sake it would be around 340-350k for Stonybrook vs 390-410k for NYU (assuming I live at home). Doesn't seem too bad and NYU does have duh prestige (I'm kidding, I know all these schools are pretty much the same). I think New Hampshire would be a safer bet salary wise or even Vermont and I really wanna get out of the city. And if I have to deal with the one year GPR, I'm all for it. It's 1 year of honing my skills and that counts as experience so it'll likely make me a more attractive hire, or so I would assume.

And if I have to deal with the one year GPR, I'm all for it. It's 1 year of honing my skills and that counts as experience so it'll likely make me a more attractive hire, or so I would assume.
It's also a year during which you'll accrue $30,000 to $35,000 in interest on that $500,000.

Big Hoss

It's also a year during which you'll accrue $30,000 to $35,000 in interest on that $500,000.

Big Hoss

Well assuming I live at home, NYU's debt comes out to 400k, maybe a little over. And GPRs like the one at NYU Langone pays 67k and Stony's pays 53k. Assuming I get the former residency, I'd probably still live with my parents for that year and dump most of it into the debt. I may even work in NYC for corporate beyond that just to slam the debt hard before moving up to places like Vermont or New Hampshire, I don't know. But I hear what you're saying, interest rates are murderous when dealing with debt in that range. Maybe I should just run while I have the chance ha.

If you can stand your parents for another 5 years go for it. However completing a GPR in NY wont up your salary at all.
If I were you I would try my best to get into Peds, especially if you wanted to stay in NY. Its 1 extra year of residency and but your salary should be far higher than associating as a GP. But you have to be able to handle kids though.
Sucks about Stony, but what about Buffalo?

So normally if you're an OOS going to NYU you wouldn't stay to practice there?

Happens to be one of the most saturated markets. Unless you are able to associate under a about to retire dentist whose going to allow you to buy into his practice it sucks to be here.

If you can stand your parents for another 5 years go for it. However completing a GPR in NY wont up your salary at all.
If I were you I would try my best to get into Peds, especially if you wanted to stay in NY. Its 1 extra year of residency and but your salary should be far higher than associating as a GP. But you have to be able to handle kids though.
Sucks about Stony, but what about Buffalo?

Ah Buffalo gave me the boot after keeping me on "continuing review" for about 3 months.

Probably just gonna go accounting at this point since I was accepted into Stern's MAC. Staring at a 450-500k beast isn't something my common sense bodes well with. Thanks for helping me mull over my options all. The recent tuition spikes in the past 5 or so years came in hard and merciless. When I was in high school dental school still seemed like a viable venture but I made the mistake of applying to schools in New York and Massachusetts with their bloated tuitions.