Where would you apply if you are Asian and live in Southern Cali and have 3.4GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsshin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I am going to apply next year may 15.
I have 3.4 overall GPA, 3.4 sci GPA with bio sci degree. I graduated.
I did not take DAT yet, but I will take around March.. I am looking to score around 21 hopefully. Also, I will have good LORS.
If those scores become reality, which school would you apply and why?????
I am going to apply to 15-20 schools. I am thinking to apply for army scholarship too..
Also, tuition for resident is cheaper than non-resident... if I get accepted to dental school such as NYU, will i be considered as non-resident???? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're planning to apply to 15-20, it doesn't really matter where we say to apply because you're covering almost 50% of the schools anyway, and I'm sure you can weed out those Harvards and Columbias and whatnot yourself. Checkout predents.com to see what schools best fit your stats. You can sort them based on GPA, sGPA, DAT, PAT, and more. Yes you would be out of state if you went to NYU...

Apply to everywhere you like, especially if you will tale the HPSP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posts, 20 schools is just about half. Your best bet is to get the ADEA guide and look at the schools, but not only look at their GPA/DAT stats but the number of out of state applicants etc accepted. And NYU is a private school so its expensive for everyone regardless of what state you're a resident of!

USC, UoP, Loma Linda, UCSF, Western, Midwestern, ASDOH, UNLV, Temple, NYU, Tufts, BU, Columbia, Case, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Buffalo, Michigan, Detroit Mercy, Creighton, Indiana, Tennessee, Maryland, Marquette, VCU.

25 schools.

USC, UoP, Loma Linda, UCSF, Western, Midwestern, ASDOH, UNLV, Temple, NYU, Tufts, BU, Columbia, Case, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Buffalo, Michigan, Detroit Mercy, Creighton, Indiana, Tennessee, Maryland, Marquette, VCU.

25 schools.

I agree 100% :thumbup:

First off, work on your grammar and spelling. If you were just typing fast, okay that's fine. With your stats you should go ahead and apply to all california schools and hope to get interview invites from UCSF and UCLA. Then you should apply to Midwestern, ASDOH, NYU, BU, Tufts, Nova, Indiana, Temple, and Columbia, maybe UPENN and that's pretty much it. Any other school would be a waste of your time and money.

First off, work on your grammar and spelling. If you were just typing fast, okay that's fine. With your stats you should go ahead and apply to all california schools and hope to get interview invites from UCSF and UCLA. Then you should apply to Midwestern, ASDOH, NYU, BU, Tufts, Nova, Indiana, Temple, and Columbia, maybe UPENN and that's pretty much it. Any other school would be a waste of your time and money.

UPenn? UCLA? as an Asian from California with a 3.4? :rolleyes:

I did forget Nova on my list though, good call. 26 schools.

deleted inappropriate post

Last edited:
hi, I am going to apply next year may 15.
I have 3.4 overall GPA, 3.4 sci GPA with bio sci degree. I graduated.
I did not take DAT yet, but I will take around March.. I am looking to score around 21 hopefully. Also, I will have good LORS.
If those scores become reality, which school would you apply and why?????
I am going to apply to 15-20 schools. I am thinking to apply for army scholarship too..
Also, tuition for resident is cheaper than non-resident... if I get accepted to dental school such as NYU, will i be considered as non-resident???? Thanks!

Your story sounds nearly identical to mine. Check my pre-dents for what I did what my results.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess my question for you is what kind of dentist do you want to become? Do you have research experience? Do you want to be a clinician after graduating dental school or maybe be a dental researcher in addition to running a dental office? How do you want to get thru dental school quickly or at a more reasonable pace? I have very similar stats to you and I got accepted into UCSF recently, but I had really great dental experience, such as 200 hrs of observation at an AEGD residency, internship for six months at the ADA, and background research for a dental project from the UOP Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry.

I also got into UOP and USC, but since I lived near SF I was deciding between both UCSF and UOP. Both schools are great for a lot of things, both also have some cons, but the way their curriculum is focused is different. There are lots of factors that must be accounted for when you apply to schools: such as location, price, weather, curriculum, social life, etc. My problem was that since I applied to 18 schools, almost all of the east coast schools never replied back to me.

First off, work on your grammar and spelling.

If you were just typing fast, okay that's fine. --> This sentence has a modifier problem. You should say "If you were just typing fast, then it would be understandable."

With your stats you should go ahead (you should go ahead = redundant) and apply to all california (you should capitalize "California.") schools and hope to get interview invites ("invitations" is the more grammatically correct word to use) from UCSF and UCLA. --> This sentence is unclear. You should say "With your stats, you should apply to all schools in California and hope to receive interview invitations from UCSF and UCLA."

Then you should apply to Midwestern, ASDOH, NYU, BU, Tufts, Nova, Indiana, Temple, and Columbia, maybe UPENN and that's pretty much it. (Run-on sentence.)

Any other school would be a waste of your time and money. --> This is an incomplete sentence. You should say "Applying to any other schools would be a waste of your time and money."

You might want to take a writing class before you write your personal statement, because your sentence structure, grammar, and spelling are balls as well.

FYI: This is an internet forum, not an essay course.

You might want to take a writing class before you write your personal statement, because your sentence structure, grammar, and spelling are balls as well.

FYI: This is an internet forum, not an essay course.

Yes this is an internet forum. Why are you being an internet bully? Thanks for correcting my grammar, do you want a sticker?

FYI: Give advice and stop wasting your time.

Hambeerger, I have a 10 page paper due tomorrow. Can you spell-check it for me?:D

Sure but you are the suck if you want me to edit it. Haha, I have no idea how that suck comment got posted - must have been my roommate.

Yes this is an internet forum. Why are you being an internet bully? Thanks for correcting my grammar, do you want a sticker?

FYI: Give advice and stop wasting your time.

I'm not being an internet bully. I am defending the poster from one. And yes, I would love a sticker, thanks.

FYI: I did give you advice - take a writing course if you would like to unnecessarily comment on everyone's poor grammar.

I'm not being an internet bully. I am defending the poster from one. And yes, I would love a sticker, thanks.

FYI: I did give you advice - take a writing course if you would like to unnecessarily comment on everyone's poor grammar.

Here's your sticker...:luck:

FYI: I did take writing courses and I received the following grades: B, A-. Here's advice for you: stop calling me out and accusing me of unnecessarily commenting on everyone's poor grammar. I made a comment on the original post and its warranted. He/she can take that advice and be careful on supplemental and writing samples. Am I wrong?

P.S. Chill out! let's be friends :thumbup:

I love you Amalgamgrilz. It's sometimes necessary to put down ignorant bullies, who can't make sentences, yet would advice others to work on spelling and grammar. Huh, Hambeerger, you love them apples?

Last edited:
I love you Amalgamgrilz. It's sometimes necessary to put down ignorant bullies, who can't make sentences, yet would advice others to work on spelling and grammar. Huh, Hambeerger, you love them apples?

immature

FYI: I did take writing courses and I received the following grades: B, A-.

Got a B? I could tell. Perhaps improve your writing skills to be on par with amalgamgrillz, then you can attempt to critique our writing, k?

And why were you criticizing OP's grammar and spelling anyways? Was it because the OP is Asian, and you assumed OP to be foreign with English as a second language? It's a forum post, it's OK to be informal. It's not ok to be racist.

Got a B? I could tell. Perhaps improve your writing skills to be on par with amalgamgrillz, then you can attempt to critique our writing, k?

And why were you criticizing OP's grammar and spelling anyways? Was it because the OP is Asian, and you assumed OP to be foreign with English as a second language? It's a forum post, it's OK to be informal. It's not ok to be racist.

I'm asian and I didnt critique anything. I hope your comment about asians at ucla and upenn was a joke or else you are racist.

In my original post, I mentioned that the poster might have been typing fast hence resulting in obvious grammar mistakes. I know my grammar is "satisfactory" and I am not pretending to be expert . I have no idea where you guys are getting that from - I am stating the obvious. For my saying "work on your grammar" is no way different from someone saying "improve your grades." I am giving out some advice that might help the OP. Anyways, for those that have been insulting me, please stop wasting your time trying to critique the grammar in this post.

please stop wasting your time trying to critique the grammar in this post.

Aren't you being a hypocrite here?

But you're right, everyone stop critiquing the grammar in this thread.
Don't be like xhamburgersamx, stop critiquing the grammar in this thread.

In my original post, I mentioned that the poster might have been typing fast hence resulting in obvious grammar mistakes. I know my grammar is "satisfactory" and I am not pretending to be expert . I have no idea where you guys are getting that from - I am stating the obvious. For my saying "work on your grammar" is no way different from someone saying "improve your grades." I am giving out some advice that might help the OP. Anyways, for those that have been insulting me, please stop wasting your time trying to critique the grammar in this post.

From now on, stop using your candlestick analysis. The way you said it ("First off, work on your grammar and spelling") was obviously condescending. I'm not sure how you are supposed to tell someone about their bad grammar, since it will definitely hurt them no matter how you say it. I would at most send a PM or sth. BTW, everyone get's to have his/her paper read by a bunch of people including writing tutors, so you don't have to worry about someone else's personal statement.

Last edited:
Aren't you being a hypocrite here?

But you're right, everyone stop critiquing the grammar in this thread.
Don't be like xhamburgersamx, stop critiquing the grammar in this thread.

There's a difference between giving advice like I have and writing negative comments like you have. 3.4 Asian at UCLA and UPENN :rolleyes:? sound familiar ? I should be insulted at this comment but I'm not because you are immature and naive 21 year old.

From now on, stop using your candlestick analysis. The way you said it ("First off, work on your grammar and spelling") was obviously condescending. I'm not sure how you are supposed to tell someone about their bad grammar, since it will definitely hurt them no matter how you say it. I would at most send a PM or sth. BTW, everyone get's to have his/her paper read by a bunch of people including writting tutors, so you don't have to worry about someone else's paper.

Fair enough

There's a difference between giving advice like I have and writing negative comments like you have. 3.4 Asian at UCLA and UPENN :rolleyes:? sound familiar ? I should be insulted at this comment but I'm not because you are immature and naive 21 year old.

I think you should work on your own grammar before criticizing others.

"There's a difference between giving advice like I have and writing negative comments like you have."
Correction: There's a difference between giving advice, like I have, and writing negative comments like you.
"I should be insulted at this comment but I'm not because you are immature and naive 21 year old."
Correction: I should be insulted at this comment, but I'm not because you are an immature and naive 21 year-old.