Which challenge is better to write about for secondary application question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lea102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! So I have come across a question stem in secondaries that asks for a challenge I've faced, and I'm conflicted between what to choose.

option 1) moving to a new country and living there for my first two years of high school. Challenges are assimilating to new culture, doing well in school despite slight language barrier, etc. Later, I can talk about what I learned and appreciation for my culture.

option 2) public speaking anxiety: in high school, was always extremely nervous talking in front of people. Resolved challenge by pushing comfort zone, including auditioning for school musical during high school, presenting research during college, etc.

I'm think option 1 is better for diversity purposes, but there isn't much to write about how it resolved--adjusting to the move just happened with time. Option 2 has more that I can write about, but I think this isnt quite the 'challenge' that schools are looking for since many people get public speaking anxiety.

Any input/advice would be amazing, thanks so much!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Option 2 has more that I can write about, but I think this isnt quite the 'challenge' that schools are looking for since many people get public speaking anxiety.

Experiencing a challenge that many people have is important. What makes it unique will be how you dealt with it. If you were able to overcome the challenge, then you will be able to help many others with that same anxiety.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both so much for your input!