Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which Chem class should I take?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by commymommy, May 17, 2002.

1. commymommy

commymommy *reformed commymommy*
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I took inorganic chem I in germany, and the 2 med schools nearby that I've talked to have said that it would be very difficult for me to have that counted on my AMCAS appl. It has something to do with the fact that there are no official transcripts in germany...you get a Scheine, which is a piece of paper, basically.

Here is my dilemna...Do I take Inorganic I over again (even though I've taken Inorganic II, organic and biochem) or do I take the advanced inorganic chem at the local school? To top it off, the advanced inorganic chem is offered either as a grad or undergrad course...with the class and lab togehter...you just have additional requirements if you want to take it as a grad student......

I have my MS already, so part of me feels like I should take it as a grad course so that it will also contribute to my grad opportunities...ie teaching undergrad classes (backup plan :) )

Any thoughts?

Kris

2. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i think you should definitely go for a graduate inorganic chem class that you haven't taken before.

3. Nuclearrabbit

Nuclearrabbit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

why repeat a course you've already taken and done well in? although this might reinforce what you've learned, you'd attain even more of a mastery of the subject if you took it at the graduate (advanced) level. also having the opportunity to teach undergrads would be really enjoyable in my opinion.
    if you've done well this far, there's no reason why you shouldn't do well in the advanced inorganic course. you may actually learn something new in the meanwhile also.

good luck
    :D

4. sorrento

sorrento Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Have you tried getting confirmation of your classes through an educational records service? These are companies that verify international classes, diplomas, and degrees for American companies and universities. They would conduct references on your credentials and confirm for you and/or AMCAS whether your classes are acceptable.

Here's one company I've heard of (don't take this as an endorsement! Just an example of what they do): <a href="http://www.eres.com" target="_blank">www.eres.com</a>

good luck!