Which Chem class should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

commymommy

*reformed commymommy*
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took inorganic chem I in germany, and the 2 med schools nearby that I've talked to have said that it would be very difficult for me to have that counted on my AMCAS appl. It has something to do with the fact that there are no official transcripts in germany...you get a Scheine, which is a piece of paper, basically.

Here is my dilemna...Do I take Inorganic I over again (even though I've taken Inorganic II, organic and biochem) or do I take the advanced inorganic chem at the local school? To top it off, the advanced inorganic chem is offered either as a grad or undergrad course...with the class and lab togehter...you just have additional requirements if you want to take it as a grad student......

I have my MS already, so part of me feels like I should take it as a grad course so that it will also contribute to my grad opportunities...ie teaching undergrad classes (backup plan :) )

Any thoughts?

Kris

Members don't see this ad.

i think you should definitely go for a graduate inorganic chem class that you haven't taken before.

why repeat a course you've already taken and done well in? although this might reinforce what you've learned, you'd attain even more of a mastery of the subject if you took it at the graduate (advanced) level. also having the opportunity to teach undergrads would be really enjoyable in my opinion.
if you've done well this far, there's no reason why you shouldn't do well in the advanced inorganic course. you may actually learn something new in the meanwhile also.

good luck
:D

Have you tried getting confirmation of your classes through an educational records service? These are companies that verify international classes, diplomas, and degrees for American companies and universities. They would conduct references on your credentials and confirm for you and/or AMCAS whether your classes are acceptable.

Here's one company I've heard of (don't take this as an endorsement! Just an example of what they do): <a href="http://www.eres.com" target="_blank">www.eres.com</a>

good luck!