Which class should I take - Cell Biology or Medical Microbiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which course better primer for M1?

• Medical Microbiology

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MrSmith000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, but I think the non-trad aspect applies most.

Since I have one more semester (spring) before I *hopefully* begin M1 classes, I want to take at least one more class. I have the option of "Medical Microbiology" or "Eukaryotic Cell Biology".

The reason it's an either/or is because the class times conflict. That, and I really want some sort of a rest before beginning my M1 courses. I've been piling in my pre-reqs for 18 months now - literally everything except GenChem and English in addition to work and preparing a teenager for college.

In everyone's expert opinion, which is going to help most in my M1 year?

My physician who's been helping me some through this says take the medical micro as it's the most pertinent to the job. From what I hear about the M1 year, Cell Bio is one of the toughest courses. Since I can't take both, here we are.

My goal with this is to make M1 just a little smoother. I've taken both semesters of A&P as well as a genetics course for similar reasons - just a head start. I'm leaning towards cell biology but obviously not yet committed.

BIOL 4350 Medical Microbiology (3 semester credit hours) This course will cover the methods used for identification of pathogenic organisms and the study of these organisms in relation to their disease process in humans. We will also cover at the molecular level important concepts such as microbial virulence, the control of bacterial growth, and host responses to infection.

BIOL 3302 Eukaryotic Molecular and Cell Biology (3 semester credit hours + 1 credit hour lab) Structural organization of eukaryotic cells; regulation of cellular activities; membranes and transport; cellular replication; examples of cell specialization such as blood (immunoglobulins) and muscle cells.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, but I think the non-trad aspect applies most.

Since I have one more semester (spring) before I *hopefully* begin M1 classes, I want to take at least one more class. I have the option of "Medical Microbiology" or "Eukaryotic Cell Biology".

The reason it's an either/or is because the class times conflict. That, and I really want some sort of a rest before beginning my M1 courses. I've been piling in my pre-reqs for 18 months now - literally everything except GenChem and English in addition to work and preparing a teenager for college.

In everyone's expert opinion, which is going to help most in my M1 year?

My physician who's been helping me some through this says take the medical micro as it's the most pertinent to the job. From what I hear about the M1 year, Cell Bio is one of the toughest courses. Since I can't take both, here we are.

My goal with this is to make M1 just a little smoother. I've taken both semesters of A&P as well as a genetics course for similar reasons - just a head start. I'm leaning towards cell biology but obviously not yet committed.

BIOL 4350 Medical Microbiology (3 semester credit hours) This course will cover the methods used for identification of pathogenic organisms and the study of these organisms in relation to their disease process in humans. We will also cover at the molecular level important concepts such as microbial virulence, the control of bacterial growth, and host responses to infection.

BIOL 3302 Eukaryotic Molecular and Cell Biology (3 semester credit hours + 1 credit hour lab) Structural organization of eukaryotic cells; regulation of cellular activities; membranes and transport; cellular replication; examples of cell specialization such as blood (immunoglobulins) and muscle cells.

Thanks so much for any advice.
Whichever is most interesting to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cell Bio 100%. I would be so far behind without that class.

Reactions: 1 user
I've only taken medical micro. It was fascinating for me, and I had a really good instructor. That being said, its pretty straightforward and simple. You could probably teach yourself. I didn't really study for it, just listened in class and showed up for tests.

Both will be useful, but if you haven't taken any sort of cell bio at all then you should definitely take cell bio. Cell bio is a very foundational course that will help with biochem, genetics, histo, and really everything. You can use Sketchy for the micro stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
I've taken both courses and both are very interesting. I would say take Cell Bio, especially if you have not yet taken the MCAT.

Cell bio, although both sound hard and unappetizing!

Thanks for everyone's input. Despite what my AP professor and my physician/mentor said, I am going with the unanimous advice from you folks. Cell biology it is. And mentirita - I have taken my MCAT, but I can see what you are saying. My biochem and genetics class have both been heavily focused on the metabolic process as it relates to medicine. I can certainly see how that discipline is evolving it's way into clinical practice.

I really appt everyone's advice.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile