which class would be better-genetics or cell & molecular biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigben327

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am getting ready to pre-register for classes for the fall and am considering taking one of these subjects if i cannot get into some of the ones i already want. which would be more helpful in preparation for pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

i am getting ready to pre-register for classes for the fall and am considering taking one of these subjects if i cannot get into some of the ones i already want. which would be more helpful in preparation for pharmacy school?

IMO, Cell Biology. It is a requirement for a number of Pharmacy schools, while genetics is not.

Well .. genetics is also a pre-req at Auburn.. I am taking genetics.. genetics is interesting ...

But i think you will use the knowledge from Molecular cell more..

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say Molecular/Cell too. Genetics is a requirement for those classes at my school, but honestly you probably don't need it. Molecular and Cell seem to be probably more applicable to pharm school.

Take Molecular Biology. Its closely related to Biochemistry, a class you will be taking in pharmacy school.

If you have time, and you study a lot, Immunology might be class to help you get ahead.

Genetics is cool. But molecular cell biology would probably be closer to home.

Cell Biology is a prereq for basically every school I've heard of. There could be one that doesn't require it but it seems really unlikely. Because of that I'd really take it first. If your school(s) require Genetics then by all means do take it also but if you don't have to then I'd say just skip it and take something else. Of course if you find it interesting and feel you'll do well in it then by all means take it regardless of requirements. :D

Cell Biology is a prereq for basically every school I've heard of. There could be one that doesn't require it but it seems really unlikely.

Have to disagree here. I haven't seen many schools that have Cell Bio as a pre-req. Of course, we were just probably interested in different schools. :D Best to search.

UNM is requires Genetics as a pre-req.

However, I would agree with the others and say Cell Molec is more relevant to Pharmacy school. However, it is usually a much harder class.

Have to disagree here. I haven't seen many schools that have Cell Bio as a pre-req. Of course, we were just probably interested in different schools. :D Best to search.

Really... well I stand corrected. :D That's interesting to hear that some don't require it as I thought it was pretty fundamental. For those schools that don't require it is there something similar they require instead?

Cell Bio req. at Oregon State...but that's neither here nor there.

I've taken both. Genetics was really interesting and will be great to know down the road when pharmacy goes into pharmacogenomics. However, cell bio is better to know when you are taking biochem...which you will.

Really... well I stand corrected. :D That's interesting to hear that some don't require it as I thought it was pretty fundamental. For those schools that don't require it is there something similar they require instead?

No actually they didn't. Seems like schools are moving towards requiring more pre-reqs, especially upper-division ones, so maybe cell bio will be a more common requirement eventually.

Cell Bio req. at Oregon State...but that's neither here nor there.

I've taken both. Genetics was really interesting and will be great to know down the road when pharmacy goes into pharmacogenomics. However, cell bio is better to know when you are taking biochem...which you will.

I agree. I love Molecular and Genetics stuff, but the science hasn't progressed enough as of yet to make it truly useful. I hope it will soon so I can be :biglove: