Which classes are considered humanities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

budhia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to do at least 6 credits of humanities. What classes are considered to be humanities?

Can 'Introduction to Fine Arts-Drama "...considered as humanities?

For those of you who might have taken this class. Was it fun and easy to get A?

Members don't see this ad.

budhia said:
I have to do at least 6 credits of humanities. What classes are considered to be humanities?

Can 'Introduction to Fine Arts-Drama "...considered as humanities?

For those of you who might have taken this class. Was it fun and easy to get A?

Sounds like humanities. But if you are talking about premed requirements, it generally is a year of english, not humanities. And some schools are sticklers about what is acceptable.

Most schools don't have that requirement. Emory has 18 hours of loosely defined humanities/social sciences. It's pretty easy to fulfill it. When in doubt, contact the school in question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, most schools DO have that requirement (i.e. 1 year of ENGLISH.) If Emory is different, then it is the exception, not the rule.

thoffen said:
Most schools don't have that requirement. Emory has 18 hours of loosely defined humanities/social sciences. It's pretty easy to fulfill it. When in doubt, contact the school in question.

Agree with the prior poster. It is the very RARE school that doesn't expressly require english.

jota_jota said:
Actually, most schools DO have that requirement (i.e. 1 year of ENGLISH.) If Emory is different, then it is the exception, not the rule.

Most schools expressly require english, which also counts as humanities. Most schools do NOT expressly require humanities, which is what I was addressing for those that do (since we've already gone over the english requirement).

thoffen said:
Most schools expressly require english, which also counts as humanities. Most schools do NOT expressly require humanities, which is what I was addressing for those that do (since we've already gone over the english requirement).

OK - we are all saying the same thing. Your first post followed mine and we thought you were contradicting it -- hence our responses.

Chances are that you'll meet any humanities requirement with general education credits for your undergrad degree. I remember seeing some schools that do require it on top of the year of english (btw, my school requires three semesters or four quarters of english, but that's not the norm, and they're generous with substituting credits). In general, english, fine arts, philosophy, religion and foreign language courses all count. I'm thinking history would count, too, even though it's sometimes (arguably erroneously) categorized as a social science.

Thanks all.

yes, i know that eng is required but unfortunately I can't take it this semester since all the classes are closed. humanities are not required but are recommended. some school i spoke to recommended 6hours.

usually this is not a problem for most US grads but I did my BS in a foreign country and it was lots of science (got major biology minor chem) maybe 2 courses non-science. humanities seem fun to me but i have no clue what is expected and how it is taught, tested/grades...in short how do you get A?

budhia said:
Thanks all.

yes, i know that eng is required but unfortunately I can't take it this semester since all the classes are closed. humanities are not required but are recommended. some school i spoke to recommended 6hours.

usually this is not a problem for most US grads but I did my BS in a foreign country and it was lots of science (got major biology minor chem) maybe 2 courses non-science. humanities seem fun to me but i have no clue what is expected and how it is taught, tested/grades...in short how do you get A?

Fine arts like the drama class you posted above might be more difficult. They could be super easy, but it's not going to be the type of thing where you can just study hard and do well. At my undergraduate school, it was supposedly pretty easy to make B's in art classes, but making an A was really hard. Also, since the grading would be subjective, you're really at the mercy of your professor. So, if you're really artistic and like that sort of stuff, go for it, but if you're not, it might be a big stressor. Now art history, on the other hand, might be easier for making A's. :)

The non-language, non-fine arts humanities classes would probably be primarily structured around reading, class discussion and writing papers. At least that's how it worked at my ugrad -- at large state universities, it's conceivable that there would be intro classes (you know, world religions, intro to philosophy, etc.) that might be all multiple choice. Don't bank on it, but it could happen. As a general rule, the freshmen level courses are all going to be fairly easy, regardless of the discipline.

I don't know if I answered your question, but I don't think there's really a concise answer. Grading and course structure are very school and instructor specific. The best bet is probably to ask your classmates about professors and various classes.

One of the schools I'm looking at requires a year of English/Lit AND a year of humanities...

No prob for me, since my undergrad is Psych/Music. But be sure to check on your individual schools!

If the MCAT is in your future and you are interested in doing well, forget about hunting for the easiest and shortest path through your humanities/English requirement. Take some reading-heavy, sweeping courses like World History, the Novel, Intro to Poetry, History of Philosophy, etc. Take them, love them, rock them, and not only will you be a better human being for the rest of your life, I promise you you will add 2-6 points to your MCAT score by training yourself in fast, accurate, critical reading.

QuikClot said:
If the MCAT is in your future and you are interested in doing well, forget about hunting for the easiest and shortest path through your humanities/English requirement. Take some reading-heavy, sweeping courses like World History, the Novel, Intro to Poetry, History of Philosophy, etc. Take them, love them, rock them, and not only will you be a better human being for the rest of your life, I promise you you will add 2-6 points to your MCAT score by training yourself in fast, accurate, critical reading.

As exlawgrrl mentioned, most schools categorize histories as social sciences,not humanities. But I agree. Reading intensive courses have value on this road.

Law2Doc said:
As exlawgrrl mentioned, most schools categorize histories as social sciences,not humanities. But I agree. Reading intensive courses have value on this road.

You could probably convince any school to take the history courses, though, since I doubt the schools care that much about the humanities thing aside from a desire to have students who can write papers semi-coherently. :)

My husband and I had this long conversation about social sciences and decided that the whole name/idea should be destroyed. Psychology is the most scientific in that you do experiments, but you could just shove it with biological/life sciences. There's very little "science" going on with sociology or political science, and there's even less with history. Actually, history should be in it's own little world. It's the coolest of anything associated with "social science" since historians can actually write and don't try to intimidate or put their audience to sleep unlike say sociologists. :p

As defined by the Ohio Humanities Council:
What Are The Humanities?

In its definition of the humanities, Congress includes:
Archaeology
Comparative Religion
Ethics
History
Languages & Linguistics
Literature
Jurisprudence
Philosophy
History, Theory, and Criticism of the Arts
Aspects of the Social Sciences Which Use Historical or Philosophical Approach
Humanities, General and Interdisciplinary

http://www.units.muohio.edu/technologyandhumanities/humanitiesdefinition.htm

I hope those who question the place of history in the humanities will review the linked document and be duly chastised. The Ohio Humanities Council has spoken.

Whatever else you do in college, learn to read! It is a rare accomplishment, but a useful one.

QuikClot said:
As defined by the Ohio Humanities Council:
What Are The Humanities?

In its definition of the humanities, Congress includes:
Archaeology
Comparative Religion
Ethics
History
Languages & Linguistics
Literature
Jurisprudence
Philosophy
History, Theory, and Criticism of the Arts
Aspects of the Social Sciences Which Use Historical or Philosophical Approach
Humanities, General and Interdisciplinary

http://www.units.muohio.edu/technologyandhumanities/humanitiesdefinition.htm

I hope those who question the place of history in the humanities will review the linked document and be duly chastised. The Ohio Humanities Council has spoken.

Whatever else you do in college, learn to read! It is a rare accomplishment, but a useful one.

Well, I agree. :) Unfortunately, my ugrad did not agree and lumped history in with social sciences, so I have a lame social science degree instead of a humanities degree. As I stated above, I think the whole social sciences thing is silly, so it would be so much cooler to have a humanities degree. Eh, my life sucks. ;)

University of Minnesota Twin Cities has some [comparatively] rigorous humanities requirements...
Social & Behavioral Sciences, Humanities (4 semesters)
One course in psychology, remaining coursework in at least two of the following areas -- history, sociology, anthropology, philosophy, comparative studies, music or art.
I have 1 abnormal psych & 1 world history... :( :scared: yes, I graduated from college and met my school's humanities requirements with other classes. Oh, and they also require biochem... *doh*

wrong_answer said:
University of Minnesota Twin Cities has some [comparatively] rigorous humanities requirements...

I have 1 abnormal psych & 1 world history... :( :scared: yes, I graduated from college and met my school's humanities requirements with other classes. Oh, and they also require biochem... *doh*

Um that isn't a "humanities" requirement -- it says right on the top of your quote that it is Social & Behavioral Sciences & humanities. So history is still a social science in the twin cities.