Which clinical experience should I pursue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

absolutewasteman

Reaction score
Hey guys! I’m prepping for a possible reapp and one of the steps I’m taking is trying to get more clinical hours in between now and June. I have two job offers on hand: one as a scribe with ScribeAmerica and one as a COVID screener.

The two jobs are similar in terms of hours and schedule flexibility though I will say the COVID screener position pays nearly $5 an hour more than ScribeAmerica and will likely be much more chill but will have less opportunities for me to work directly with physicians.

I have to respond within like 12 hours (yikes) - any thoughts on which I should go with would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who spent this summer working as a COVID screener, I would go with the scribe position. Even if the COVID screener is a position in a clinical facility (which mine was too), you likely won't get any direct clinical experience from it since you will be outside the patient room. Additionally, I found being a COVID screener to be more of a customer service experience that really wore me down after just two months—people often gave me a hard time about wearing masks/following the rules of the facility, so I would consider your own happiness in the position when making your choice.
Good luck with your choice!

Reactions: 1 user
My experience working as an ED scribe with SA has been extremely rewarding - yes the pay is crap, but you get to work very closely with physicians, see some cool patient presentations, and become really familiar with medical decision making and with writing notes. I know people who have had less favorable experiences, but you get out what you put in.

Reactions: 1 user