Which course to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakeintrouble

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This semester I will be taking some post-bac courses along with MCAT study. I will be taking immunology, along with one of the courses below. Ordered from most convenient to my schedule to least convenient.

Human Genetics
Organic Chemistry I (retake) (My only C in undergrad)
Advanced Biochemistry

Human genetics will be very convenient, as I work full time. Retaking organic may look good to the adcoms, especially if I apply to any DO schools. Does it really matter? Do you have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Grade replacement is no longer going to be utilized by AACOMAS (as of next cycle). With that in consideration, non-retakes will usually do more for your record than retakes at a C or above, for both MD and DO programs. Considering Organic I/II is a notorious low point for many people's applications, I wouldn't hold a C as overly limiting. It's probably one of the easiest blips to label as a fluke.

Ultimately it's dependent on what you feel will be most conducive to achieving high marks. This might be a course that fits your schedule and causes minimal personal disruption, or it could be a course that aligns with your interests and is therefor more "fun". All three of those subjects are relevant, upper level, and should (if successful) show that you have some degree of the necessary academic fortitude that correlates to a medical school curriculum.

As far as for studying benefits, genetics and biochem can both be pretty high yield for the MCAT so I wouldn't let it push you one way or the other.

Best of luck with studying and whatever coursework you choose! I was in a similar spot in January of 2016, and it was quite the rush.

Reactions: 1 user