which cycle is in common in Mitosis or Miosis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dencology

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. which cycle is common in both mitosis and meiosis?

2. A protein is going to the phospholipid membrane, where did it come from?

3. piece of cell of molar teeth taken from a mouse and put in to baby chicken. the chicken develops teeth, what is this process called?

Members don't see this ad.

they both result in the separation of existing cells into new ones, so i guess Telophase & cytokinesis would be common?

from a ribosome??

3. piece of cell of molar teeth taken from a mouse and put in to baby chicken. the chicken develops teeth, what is this process called?
induction
are there any answer choices? i dont get Q #2

Yup, For Q 2 it essentially comes from the rough ER. It would be much easier if there were some answer choices.

sorry. i don't have answer choices for these but Yup answer is correct.
what about the other two, any idea what the answer could be?

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry. i don't have answer choices for these but Yup answer is correct.
what about the other two, any idea what the answer could be?

Q 3 seems like something from bio 2 and i honestly dont kno ANYTHING lol from that, i gotta relearn it i never studied fr that class. For the first there are multiple similarities, i owuld say spindle forms in both, umm the first answer is right.

Q 3 seems like something from bio 2 and i honestly dont kno ANYTHING lol from that, i gotta relearn it i never studied fr that class. For the first there are multiple similarities, i owuld say spindle forms in both, umm the first answer is right.

SUB:

if you can find the answer to this question, it might have to do with mesenchymal cell or something, i think it would be cellular differenciation. but see if you have it in your notes. I heard someone had this question a question similar to this on their TST.

SUB:

if you can find the answer to this question, it might have to do with mesenchymal cell or something, i think it would be cellular differenciation. but see if you have it in your notes. I heard someone had this question a question similar to this on their TST.

If they give you one of these on the test you will have answer choices that will help u narrow it down to the right answer or ull kno the answer off the bat. it asked for similar cylces, and there are a few so u cant label just one.
Gluck

question 2 i would say endoplasmic reticulum, or if more specific the rough er because from my knowledge all new membranes and their proteins are produced there.

question 3 is definitely induction.

Hmm, I would think a specific cycle that is common in both processes would be Interphase where the cell grows and the DNA gets prepped for division..... interphase happens before a cell goes into mitosis and meiosis 1 & 2

definatly rER... if I remember correctly, proteins made in the cytosol ribosomes are usually destined for exocytosis while rER ribosome products are destined to be membrane proteins used as transporters for examples.

If they give you one of these on the test you will have answer choices that will help u narrow it down to the right answer or ull kno the answer off the bat. it asked for similar cylces, and there are a few so u cant label just one.
Gluck

i think it is cellular differenciation. this is when you take a cell from another organism and insert it in to another organism for growth or other purposes.

check it out.

Wouldnt the protein come from the Golgi App. since it is packaged there for transport into vesicles which fuses with the phospholipid bilayer and is eventually transported out of the cell? correct me if im wrong....but the answer really depends on the answer choices given because ER isnt the last place the protein goes thru before it reaches the phospholipid bilayer.

out of the 2 answers if rER was the only choice then that would be the correct answer but if golgi was there, then I think that would be the answer.

Wouldnt the protein come from the Golgi App. since it is packaged there for transport into vesicles which fuses with the phospholipid bilayer and is eventually transported out of the cell? correct me if im wrong....but the answer really depends on the answer choices given because ER isnt the last place the protein goes thru before it reaches the phospholipid bilayer.

out of the 2 answers if rER was the only choice then that would be the correct answer but if golgi was there, then I think that would be the answer.

I think you're right, it would depend on the possible answers because proteins destined for the membrane originate from the rER ribosomes, hit golgi for modification and then go to wherever the signal has them destined for.... I think the question isn't worded very well either.

I think you're right, it would depend on the possible answers because proteins destined for the membrane originate from the rER ribosomes, hit golgi for modification and then go to wherever the signal has them destined for.... I think the question isn't worded very well either.

Your are both right lol. These kinds of questions are not specific. However, sometimes they will show both answers and when that happens just reead the question again to better understand wat exactly it is they want from u.

so nobody can answer question #3, right?
I'm telling ya- it's induction.
Induction, in biology, refers to the initiation or cause of a change or process, such as the production of a specific morphogenetic effect in the developing embryo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_(biology)
I remember a Q similar to this on my dat.
Check this paper out

Teeth were lost in birds 70–80 million years ago. Current thinking holds that it is the avian cranial neural crest-derived mesenchyme that has lost odontogenic capacity, whereas the oral epithelium retains the signaling properties required to induce odontogenesis. To investigate the odontogenic capacity of ectomesenchyme, we have used neural tube transplantations from mice to chick embryos to replace the chick neural crest cell populations with mouse neural crest cells. The mouse/chick chimeras obtained show evidence of tooth formation showing that avian oral epithelium is able to induce a nonavian developmental program in mouse neural crest-derived mesenchymal cells.
Tooth development, in common with the formation of many other vertebrate organs, involves reciprocal series of epithelial–mesenchymal interactions (1). These inductive interactions are mediated by diffusible factors between oral epithelium and neural crest-derived mesenchyme (2, 3). In the mouse embryo, the initiation period of tooth development extends from embryonic day (E) 8, when crest cells first emerge from the cranial neural folds, to E11, when local thickenings of the oral epithelium are formed (4–6). The epithelium then invaginates into the underlying mesenchyme to form the tooth bud (E12.5–13).
Classical tissue recombination experiments and more recent molecular analysis have identified the oral epithelium as providing the instructive information for the initiation of mouse tooth development. The E9–11 presumptive dental epithelium can elicit tooth formation even in neural crest-derived mesenchyme that does not normally form teeth, but is not able to induce tooth formation in a nonneural crest-derived mesenchyme, such as the limb mesenchyme (4, 7). By E12, the odontogenic potential shifts to the mesenchyme, which can instruct any kind of epithelium to form tooth-specific structures (7–9). These experiments point to the importance of epithelial signals in the initiation of mouse tooth formation.

http://www.pnas.org/content/100/11/6541.full

i'm telling ya- it's induction.
induction, in biology, refers to the initiation or cause of a change or process, such as the production of a specific morphogenetic effect in the developing embryo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/induction_(biology)
i remember a q similar to this on my dat.
Check this paper out

teeth were lost in birds 70–80 million years ago. Current thinking holds that it is the avian cranial neural crest-derived mesenchyme that has lost odontogenic capacity, whereas the oral epithelium retains the signaling properties required to induce odontogenesis. To investigate the odontogenic capacity of ectomesenchyme, we have used neural tube transplantations from mice to chick embryos to replace the chick neural crest cell populations with mouse neural crest cells. The mouse/chick chimeras obtained show evidence of tooth formation showing that avian oral epithelium is able to induce a nonavian developmental program in mouse neural crest-derived mesenchymal cells.
Tooth development, in common with the formation of many other vertebrate organs, involves reciprocal series of epithelial–mesenchymal interactions (1). These inductive interactions are mediated by diffusible factors between oral epithelium and neural crest-derived mesenchyme (2, 3). In the mouse embryo, the initiation period of tooth development extends from embryonic day (e) 8, when crest cells first emerge from the cranial neural folds, to e11, when local thickenings of the oral epithelium are formed (4–6). The epithelium then invaginates into the underlying mesenchyme to form the tooth bud (e12.5–13).
Classical tissue recombination experiments and more recent molecular analysis have identified the oral epithelium as providing the instructive information for the initiation of mouse tooth development. The e9–11 presumptive dental epithelium can elicit tooth formation even in neural crest-derived mesenchyme that does not normally form teeth, but is not able to induce tooth formation in a nonneural crest-derived mesenchyme, such as the limb mesenchyme (4, 7). By e12, the odontogenic potential shifts to the mesenchyme, which can instruct any kind of epithelium to form tooth-specific structures (7–9). These experiments point to the importance of epithelial signals in the initiation of mouse tooth formation.

http://www.pnas.org/content/100/11/6541.full

dentisat, you got it man. Thanks.

i think you're right, it would depend on the possible answers because proteins destined for the membrane originate from the rer ribosomes, hit golgi for modification and then go to wherever the signal has them destined for.... I think the question isn't worded very well either.

ok guys, i went through the campbell book and it says that as you all know "the first site of protein synthesis is rer." it is from here that it goes to golgi app, it gets modified, repackage and then sent out. It is not synthesized. So the protein that goes to the sytoplasm is actually originated from rer and not golgi app.