Which Dental Schools are Easiest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD-2-B

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When specializing, grades and class rank during dental school are very important as I understand it. So am I correct in saying that those who want to specialize (i.e. need to get high ranking) would be better off going to a less challenging dental school? I always wanted to go to Columbia, but I would rather go somewhere else for dental, and then apply to Columbia for pediatrics rather than go to Columbia for dental, get good but not good enough grades and lose my chances at specialty.

Which dental schools are easier in NY?

Members don't see this ad.

CJWolf said:
I really can't wait to see the responses.

exactly what i was thinking. :laugh:

ok here is my answer: there are no challenging dental schools. all dental schools are easy. all you have to do to get into a specialty program is to let them know you are interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMD-2-B said:
When specializing, grades and class rank during dental school are very important as I understand it. So am I correct in saying that those who want to specialize (i.e. need to get high ranking) would be better off going to a less challenging dental school? I always wanted to go to Columbia, but I would rather go somewhere else for dental, and then apply to Columbia for pediatrics rather than go to Columbia for dental, get good but not good enough grades and lose my chances at specialty.

Hey you keep changing mind!?
C'mon, go to Mexico and get a dental degree, then come back for Pedo at Harvard.

PERFECT3435 said:

ok here is my answer: there are no challenging dental schools. all dental schools are easy. all you have to do to get into a specialty program is to let them know you are interested.

Trying to choose the easiest road may not be the attitude that specialty programs are looking for.

Go to UConn, it's a breeze.

PERFECT3435 said:

This kid is an idiot...You should see some of the work he tries to pass off as clinically acceptable...The #1 consumer of dentaform teeth in this region... :D DS is not hard for him because he's not smart enough to comprehend he's a *****! :laugh: ....I still love him though!

DMD-2-B said:

You also have to take into account board scores which will rank you nationally. I believe that a lot is left up to the student him/herself as to whether or not he/she can seriously explore specializing: the time, dedication, and study habits needed to earn those top marks both in school and on the boards can only come from within and not through the school. If Columbia is your dream school then go there with the resolve that you'll rise to the top - don't undersell yourself to what you 'think' or have heard is an 'easy' school.

zdaddy08 said:
This kid is an idiot...You should see some of the work he tries to pass off as clinically acceptable...The #1 consumer of dentaform teeth in this region... :D DS is not hard for him because he's not smart enough to comprehend he's a *****! :laugh: ....I still love him though!

I hear the school almost ran out of typodont teeth when he was learning how to do class II's :D

Sprgrover said:
You also have to take into account board scores which will rank you nationally. I believe that a lot is left up to the student him/herself as to whether or not he/she can seriously explore specializing: the time, dedication, and study habits needed to earn those top marks both in school and on the boards can only come from within and not through the school. If Columbia is your dream school then go there with the resolve that you'll rise to the top - don't undersell yourself to what you 'think' or have heard is an 'easy' school.
There are schools without class rankings..... leaving only board scores.... I've often wondered what it would have been like to not have to worry about being in the top 10%. Some of the people I met while interviewing from those schools said it made distinguishing themselves from their other classmates harder. I also heard some programs won't give them interviews either, but I met enough of them on the interview circuit to fill out the top 20% of their classes from their schools.

DMD-2-B said:

I don't understand. You want to know which schools are easier in NY - so you must not know which schools are easy or hard. Yet you assume that Columbia is a hard school. Who said Columbia isn't the easiest school in NY?

sometimes i think san antonio is easy - we dont wax/cast C&B or set denture teeth in the last 2 years, we are treated well by the faculty, have our own chairs and office staff, there is wireless internet all over the place for our mandatory laptops (cute little macs)
no seriously kid - all dental schools will make it hard to rise above, which is something that comes from someone who enjoys challenge
ps-sometimes just PASSING can be a challenge!

texas_dds said:
sometimes i think san antonio is easy - we dont wax/cast C&B or set denture teeth in the last 2 years, we are treated well by the faculty, have our own chairs and office staff, there is wireless internet all over the place for our mandatory laptops (cute little macs)
Too bad I'm not in san antonio! :( We would be classmates :eek: Don't say you're hot and single :D It sounds like a very nice school!

Members don't see this ad :)
texas_dds said:

!

You realize that we all hate you now. :D

Aren't all dental schools easy? Aren't you kids just learning about teeth; I mean how can that take 4 years? Let me guess--- now you're going to say you need to know as much as "real" docs. :D :laugh:

12YearOldKid said:
You realize that we all hate you now. :D
Not if she's hot and single :D huh? what? did somebody mention that I'm still SINGLE, very available? :D

Dr.2b said:
Aren't all dental schools easy? Aren't you kids just learning about teeth; I mean how can that take 4 years? Let me guess--- now you're going to say you need to know as much as "real" docs. :D :laugh:
Actually all the bending over that they made us do is the actual hard part! It's right up your alley! You'll fit right in! That's right, dental schools are "easy" Dr.2b (or is it Dr.Never2be :) )I don't give a **** about "real" docs or not! and I just want to know just enough so I don't have to pay for malpractice and not hurting any patient.
Who you're calling kid? watch it or I'm going to give you an extraction........with my fist! :D

DMD-2-B said:

Dental Schools in NY:

1) Buffalo: Has class rank. Usually scores pretty well on part I boards. Takes a lot of the basic science classes with the faculty from the med school. There are people hardcore about grades in the class, and those who could care less.

Of course, it's my alma mater. Did I ever feel "less challenged?" Nope. And I know what it feels like to be "less challenged" - I worked harder in high school than in college. College was a cakewalk for me compared to dental school; I did well at both, so I think I know what I'm talking about. Just about every moment at dental school right up until graduation induced stress because every point, exam, grade, evaluation etc. will raise or lower your rank.

2) Stonybrook: No class rank reported. Takes all basic science courses with the med student in the first two years. Lots of clinical experience. My co-resident went to Stonybrook, I've never heard him say it was a cakewalk. Says he had to study late to pass his classes, not unlike every other dental student I've ever spoken to.

3) NYU: I don't think they have class rank with specific numbers, more like a reported percentile of where you fall. Huge class, so there certainly have to be gunners and those who only care to pass. They do not take basic sciences with the med school, they have their own classes. My co-residents who attended NYU all complain that they too had to study late into the night and were always on edge as to whether they passed a class or not. None of these students are the type who just skated along the bottom of the class looking to barely pass, they are hardworkers who cared about their progress. So nope, no cakewalk here either.

4) Columbia: The classes there now do not have reported class ranks. They take the basic science courses with the med school. I've spoken with many of the upperclassmen who come for rotations from Columbia at my hospital. They tell me that although class rank is not reported, the school gives out certain distinctions and awards at the end of each year so everyone bascially knows who's at the top anyways. Every dental student from Columbia had something to complain about as well, never heard anyone say "Oh geez, it's so easy, like you just show up and you pass."

So which school is the easiest? None. They all have gunners (gunner meaning those aiming to rank high/score high) who are thinking like you, I assure you. Having a high or low GPA in undergrad means nothing - there are people who barely scraped by undergrad that graduate at the top, and those who aced undergrad and barely pass.

Although the OP asked about class rank, IMO the "easiest" NY schools clinically have to be Columbia & NYU - it doesn't seem like they had nearly the same amount of clinical requirements Buffalo and Stonybrook did necessary to graduate. However, I have yet to meet a student from Columbia & NYU who wasn't stressing about finishing clinical requirements and I"m sure if I had attended either school, I would've stressed as well.

What makes you think Columbia's pedo program is tops anyways? US News?

Conclusion: You'll never know because you only get to attend 1 dental school. Suck it up and just go wherever you get in and try to do well there.

If I had to do it again from the class rank standpoint: I guess I'd go with Stonybrook since it's the cheapest and there is no reported class rank. Plus since everyone there isn't aiming to specialize, there aren't 20 other applications to Pedo from Stonybrook out there come senior year since the class only has 40 people in it anyways.

DMD-2-B said:

Wow! What we have here is a predent who has no confidence in his/her ability to compete with and distinguish him/herself from the rest of the class. Newsflash...DMD-2-B might not be dental school material let alone specialty material.

gumgardener2009 said:
Wow! What we have here is a predent who has no confidence in his/her ability to compete with and distinguish him/herself from the rest of the class. Newsflash...DMD-2-B might not be dental school material let alone specialty material.

I liked the earlier post where he asked if it's ok to go to an easier undergrad to get accepted to dent school at columbia. Now he wants to go to an easier dental school to do pedo at columbia. Maybe the next post will be asking which is the easiest pedo program to get into :rolleyes:

Hey guys, I was wondering which of these schools has the easiest pedo program to get into??

zdaddy08 said:

dont make me use the high speed on you :D
next time you make a smart ass comment, i am gonna use you for typodont.

lnn2 said:
Not if she's hot and single :D huh? what? did somebody mention that I'm still SINGLE, very available? :D

there more than a few hot women at san antonio,
inn2 you would have enjoyed being in this senior class
:D

CJWolf said:
I liked the earlier post where he asked if it's ok to go to an easier undergrad to get accepted to dent school at columbia. Now he wants to go to an easier dental school to do pedo at columbia. Maybe the next post will be asking which is the easiest pedo program to get into :rolleyes:

Between you and me, what's funnier...that dmd-2-b wants to find the easy way into a pedo program or that some posters are taking him seriously? :laugh:

onetoothleft said:
Hey guys, I was wondering which of these schools has the easiest pedo program to get into??

If I get straight A's at my community college, transfer to an easy four-year program (4.0 there, or course) and get my dental degree in Ireland with drunk7daysaweek will Columbia's pedo program accept me? :smuggrin:

gumgardener2009 said:
If I get straight A's at my community college, transfer to an easy four-year program (4.0 there, or course) and get my dental degree in Ireland with drunk7daysaweek will Columbia's pedo program accept me? :smuggrin:

This behavior is so pompous and disgusting. You know nothing about my life or my capabilities.

Not to mention I said nothing about going overseas. These are supposed to be forums where people are supposed to learn from each other, and help each other. So what kind of person peeks around looking for trouble instead?

A loser.

DMD-2-B said:
This behavior is so pompous and disgusting. You know nothing about my life or my capabilities.

Not to mention I said nothing about going overseas. These are supposed to be forums where people are supposed to learn from each other, and help each other. So what kind of person peeks around looking for trouble instead?

A loser.

Whoa Nelly, don't get your nickers in a twist. Seriously, you are really asking for it starting threads like that. With the egos around here, you shouldn't expect anything different. And hey, that was funny! I wonder what ever happened to the future coked up dentist to the Leprechauns? :laugh:

DMD-2-B said:

A loser.
You've spent your entire 10-post SDN history digging around for the easiest possible career path, but you're getting all fluffed up now that other people draw the logical conclusion? Based on what you've offered so far, you don't have much room to be getting riled up about people underestimating your capabilities.

I have a question. I'm looking for someone who actually worked hard in dental school so I can send you my complicated patients. You see, I'm helpless because I intentionally went to the easiest college, easiest dental school, and worst Pedo program. Any takers?

texas_dds said:
there more than a few hot women at san antonio,
inn2 you would have enjoyed being in this senior class
:D
More than a few? :eek: Man, I knew it! I tend to be at the wrong place at the wrong time! Story of my life! :)

All of this time while I'm up here but my heart is still in san antonio! any hot, single, available women in your class now?! I could smell a love connection from a distance! :)

DMD 2 B,

I try not to judge, you're probably smarter than me in fact, but your question raises some eyebrows. My mentor is a pediatric dentist (sort of). He went to a small (yet challenging) liberal arts college and then went to a dental school in NJ that no longer exists. He decided to limit his practice to kids although he never specialized. He does IV sedation cases and limited ortho. He's very competent, successful, and well-liked. What is my point? He became a pediatric dentist the easiest way possible. Is that what you're trying to do? Or are you more interested in becoming the best pediatric dentist that you can be? How different is the job of a dentist and the job of a pediatric dentist? Not too different really. You'll do fillings, crowns (kind-of), extractions, some more complicated things. The difference is in the patient. Our society holds people who work with kids up to a different standard, and with good reason. Wouldn't you want to take your kids to the best? So, I think you need to learn how to be a good dentist before you learn how to be a good pediatric dentist. So why not go to a school that will make that happen? I've never heard anyone say that dental school was easy though. Wherever you go, you'll face competition from people trying to get into ortho and endo and OS, etc., and from people who aren't very nice. It's human nature to attack what we perceive as weakness. It's insecurity, right? I think you have to be a little thick-skinned to make it through dental school (mean classmates, mean professors). But it's important to stay a nice person. Especially when it comes to patients, you need to be very compassionate. They can really sense it when it's real, and when it's fake. Lots of different people in dental school. Some of them will bug you, some you'll like, some will talk too much (like me!). But if you're determined I bet you'll make it. Good luck with your career. This was a long post, but it is my last.

:thumbup:
johnkimdmd said:
DMD 2 B,

I try not to judge, you're probably smarter than me in fact, but your question raises some eyebrows. My mentor is a pediatric dentist (sort of). He went to a small (yet challenging) liberal arts college and then went to a dental school in NJ that no longer exists. He decided to limit his practice to kids although he never specialized. He does IV sedation cases and limited ortho. He's very competent, successful, and well-liked. What is my point? He became a pediatric dentist the easiest way possible. Is that what you're trying to do? Or are you more interested in becoming the best pediatric dentist that you can be? How different is the job of a dentist and the job of a pediatric dentist? Not too different really. You'll do fillings, crowns (kind-of), extractions, some more complicated things. The difference is in the patient. Our society holds people who work with kids up to a different standard, and with good reason. Wouldn't you want to take your kids to the best? So, I think you need to learn how to be a good dentist before you learn how to be a good pediatric dentist. So why not go to a school that will make that happen? I've never heard anyone say that dental school was easy though. Wherever you go, you'll face competition from people trying to get into ortho and endo and OS, etc., and from people who aren't very nice. It's human nature to attack what we perceive as weakness. It's insecurity, right? I think you have to be a little thick-skinned to make it through dental school (mean classmates, mean professors). But it's important to stay a nice person. Especially when it comes to patients, you need to be very compassionate. They can really sense it when it's real, and when it's fake. Lots of different people in dental school. Some of them will bug you, some you'll like, some will talk too much (like me!). But if you're determined I bet you'll make it. Good luck with your career. This was a long post, but it is my last.

well said :thumbup:

toofache32 said:
I have a question. I'm looking for someone who actually worked hard in dental school so I can send you my complicated patients. You see, I'm helpless because I intentionally went to the easiest college, easiest dental school, and worst Pedo program. Any takers?

I thought I recognized you....didn't I see you at the University of Phoenix Online alumni dinner with Sally Struthers last month...? :D As for sending patients,... sorry... I'm still getting oral and rectal cavities confused...ever tried to take an impression of an a**hole.........? :eek:

Listen people...

I understand how my posts may have mis-led you. I graduated with an engineering degree winning both junior and senior design awards in my class, including patent pending designs, all as a woman competing in a 90% male population. I am not necessarily looking for the "easy" way nor am I afraid of hard work!

Its just that I REALLY want to graduate from an Ivy pediatrics program, and so I want to go to school where I will not be competing with students that are all "gunners" as I've seen you guys refer to them quite frequently, becuase I dont wanna blend into the background.

I'd like to be the only gunner around so as not to jeapordize my chance at a big name pediatrics program. Obviously if I was looking for the easy way, I wouldnt have this goal at all. I have many friends who went to no-name colleges, then took a step up to a better med school, then went to Ivy Leagues for their specialties. Its not about where you start, its about where you finish. And lets call it like it is: Theres no such thing as an "easy" dental school. The phrase is an oxy-***** entirely. I just really wanna get into a good pediatrics program.

I guess I'm just being over-protective about my decision because if I dont get into a pediatrics program, I'm not sure I would want to do dentistry on adults.

But in any case... I find it a little disturbing that so many of you would be so hostile, and jump down my throat without even ASKING about my situation. I guess most of you are men???

And thank you Johnkim and Monkeyboy for giving me the benefit of the doubt instead of filling in the blanks with negative ASSUMPTIONS about me. I appreciate it... ;)

DMD-2-B said:
I'd like to be the only gunner around so as not to jeapordize my chance at a big name pediatrics program.

This line is why most posters went "hostile" on you. Unlike undergrad, no such dental school exists where you will be the "only" gunner. Even at the dental schools where everyone claims to be so friendly and help each other out, there are always chunk of students concerned about doing well/being at the top. In fact, there are even students who challege themselves to do well just because they want to see if they can. These people are going to be general dentists and really have no "incentive" to be gunning for the top, but they just do.

DMD-2-B said:
I guess I'm just being over-protective about my decision because if I dont get into a pediatrics program, I'm not sure I would want to do dentistry on adults.

Then you better rethink your decision on dentistry in general. You have to like something about dentistry in order to get through all the grueling labwork in school. And who knows, you can even get stuck in a scenario not unlike mine where you won't get to start a pediatric residency right after dental school graduation. I would love to be bonding brackets on teenagers with all of their teeth right now, but instead I am fabricating dentures for really old people with no teeth. I know I'm qualified for an ortho residency, so I'm not giving up my dream. But in the mean time, I have to make a living and doing general dentistry is the only realistic way for me to do it. Good thing I like the basics of general dentistry I learned in school (minus the molar endo, not sure how I feel about that) or I'd really be hating my job right now.

Just so you know - there are only 3 "Ivy league" pedo programs out there - Columbia, Harvard, and Penn. And unless your mom/dad/uncle/grandad is the chair at one of those programs, there is no surefire formula that is going to get you in to those particular pedo residencies. I think most posters (well, I do) find it pretentious that you would be basing your decision to do dentistry on the *chance* to attend one of 3 residencies. Step 1 - apply to dental school, and Step 2 - when you get in, formulate a game plan to hopefully get you to the next phase of your dental education.

DMD-2-B said:
Listen people...

I understand how my posts may have mis-led you. I graduated with an engineering degree winning both junior and senior design awards in my class, including patent pending designs, all as a woman competing in a 90% male population. I am not necessarily looking for the "easy" way nor am I afraid of hard work!

Its just that I REALLY want to graduate from an Ivy pediatrics program, and so I want to go to school where I will not be competing with students that are all "gunners" as I've seen you guys refer to them quite frequently, becuase I dont wanna blend into the background.

I'd like to be the only gunner around so as not to jeapordize my chance at a big name pediatrics program. Obviously if I was looking for the easy way, I wouldnt have this goal at all. I have many friends who went to no-name colleges, then took a step up to a better med school, then went to Ivy Leagues for their specialties. Its not about where you start, its about where you finish. And lets call it like it is: Theres no such thing as an "easy" dental school. The phrase is an oxy-***** entirely. I just really wanna get into a good pediatrics program.

But in any case... I find it a little disturbing that so many of you would be so hostile, and jump down my throat without even ASKING about my situation. I guess most of you are men???

And thank you Johnkim and Monkeyboy for giving me the benefit of the doubt instead of filling in the blanks with negative ASSUMPTIONS about me. I appreciate it... ;)

DMD-2-BE, Why is it so important for you to go to an Ivy-League School? I'm afraid that I'm not following your logic. I have been around excellent dentists all my life, from all the different specialities and not once have they ever lost a patient because they did not go to a "Big Name School." In fact, many said that the only people who asked about which school they attended were people who were interested in going to dental school. ;)

With a background in engineering, I can see why a pedigree education might be important. It is a measure that can be used to judge one's worth, and an Ivy-degree can lead to substantial advancement within a governmental/industrial/academic setting. However, in dentistry, you are likely going to be your own boss, so the effect of an Ivy-degree might just be for your own benefit.

If you want to go to Columbia, I would say go there for your DDS/DMD (I'm not quite sure which one Columbia awards :oops:). I would the residency take care of itself.

This year I was faced with the choice of going to a "Big-Name" Dental School (or at least what the general public would percive as a prestigious instiution) or UMKC, a school that is very respected within the profession. As you can see, I choose UMKC, in part because I did not want to pay for the privilage of having a name on my diploma that people would instantly recognize. It was a difficult decision, but one where I am happy with the outcome.

I guess the point I tried to get to is that in dentistry, because you are self-employeed, the pedgree of your diploma is not that important. Try to find the school that is best for you.

DMD-2-B said:
I'd like to be the only gunner around so as not to jeapordize my chance at a big name pediatrics program.

I just really wanna get into a good pediatrics program.

[/I]

Two very contrasting statements IMO. To me, a "big-name" pedo program is the one that will give me the best education and the things I want in a residency. To you, you see to associate "big name" with an Ivy program. Do you know anything about pediatric residencies, what makes some good, some ok etc? I feel bad if you simply want to get into say columbia for the sake of name-dropping. If you were truly interested in getting into a good pediatrics program (as you say you are) you will research each program individually rather than basing your assumptions on name only.

http://www.asdanet.org/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=74&DEPARTMENT_ID=21

If you are a pre-dent, I assume that you know nothing of post-graduate dental specialty training. ASDA publishes post-graduate training guidebooks each year (see above link). It tells you the basics of each program (e.g. stipend, requirements, applicant:acceptance ratio, patients seen etc.). However, the best guide is to actually spend some time with a resident or do an "externship" at the program that you want to get accepted to.

If you want to get into Columbia pediatric dentistry, then good for you. A residency program is what you make of it. They won't spoon feed you, of course. A lot has to do with self-learning. You could be in a residency program elsewhere and still see much more patients and produce an outstanding research paper and become an excellent clinician. Just an additional note: A program in 2005 won't be the same in 2006 because the attending doctor may come and go.What you see as the best residency today may not be the best 3 years down the road.

If you wanted my advice in becoming a pediatric dentist, I will only say this. Go for it: Aim to be a pediatric dentist. However, don't narrow yourself only with Columbia pediatric dentistry program. Sure, keep it as an option, but don't shut yourself out. As you may find out later from reading that ASDA handbook, there are many many pediatric programs with merit of its own.

As griffin04 said previously, be a dentist first. (ie. Learn to crawl before you learn to walk.) Seriously, if you don't perceive yourself doing "general" dentistry first, then you will only disappoint yourself later. If you still cannot stand the thought of doing "general" dentistry, then you might as well change your course now (more engineering? sounds like you're really good at it), and change your user ID, too. Good luck.

DMD-2-B said:
Listen people...

That's right, dear....we are ALL men...men that are GUNNERS....now gunning on keeping you out of our profession....

....go bug the student engineer's network............ :eek:

Gonna get flamed for saying this, but every female let into dental school is more money in our pockets. It's a proven fact that a majority of female dentists practice for a short-term period, have kids, and never pick up a handpiece. I believe a female can make just as good a dentist as a male, but in areas where there is already a shortage I don't get why they are increasing the #s to even out the ratio. Sort of the same reason as letting in unqualified minorities in the hopes they will serve that part of the community which needs it the most. When, in reality, they leave and go to where they can make the most money just like everyone else.

DcS said:
Gonna get flamed for saying this, but every female let into dental school is more money in our pockets. It's a proven fact that a majority of female dentists practice for a short-term period, have kids, and never pick up a handpiece. I believe a female can make just as good a dentist as a male, but in areas where there is already a shortage I don't get why they are increasing the #s to even out the ratio. Sort of the same reason as letting in unqualified minorities in the hopes they will serve that part of the community which needs it the most. When, in reality, they leave and go to where they can make the most money just like everyone else.

No flaming here....I completely agree with you :thumbup:

LSR1979 said:
No flaming here....I completely agree with you :thumbup:

I smell ASS WHIPPINS in the near future..... :D

:thumbup:

DcS said:

Couldn't you then say that for every profession?

DcS said:

The comment about minority dentists just isn't true.

A Study put out by the WK Kellogg Foundation called "The Big Cavity" visits this same topic about minorities and community service. It can be found at www.communityvoices.org. You can search for it online or you can request that a free copy be sent to you in the mail. It is well-worth the read.

Some highlights of the study are:

A) Of all professionally active dentists, 87% White, 6% Asian, 0.2% Native American, 2.8% Hispanic American, and 2.2% AA.

B) AA dentists that were surveyed, reported that 60% of their patients were AA. Hispanic dentists reported that 45% of their patients were Hispanic American. These statistics point to a tendency for minority dentists to practice in their own communities who make up a large percentage of the poor in the country anyway.

C) Currently in dental school, about 5% AA, 5.2% Hispanic American, and 0.7% Native American.

My two cents is this: Affirmative Action is not the answer. The real answer is fixing underperforming urban elementary and high schools which don't educate on the level they should. So, minority students have a tougher road even before they know where they want to go. This is outside of the racism potholes, but it is a major part of it.

I was fortunate to attend private school from K-12 grade and then into college so I didn't get educated on a 3rd grade level in the 12 th grade.

In the two years I have posted on this forum, some of the comments have been arrogant if not offensive in some of the quick and uninformed assumptions that are passed around. I won't even go into some of the harsh names I have been called in the past. :eek:

That is one glaring weakness in the WK Kellogg study, it makes no mention of poor whites, and at first glance, implies that poor whites aren't affected the same as other poor people. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, minorities make up a vast part of the poor, but there are poor whites.

Poor Whites suffer the same as AA students. In a majority setting, they must be there b/c of Affirmative Action. At a historically black college, they must be there just b/c they are black. No group has to apologize more for success than African Americans.

There is a lack of humility in too many of my future colleagues on this website. I hope that this changes. Take care and GOD Bless.
Flame on flame on.

grant555 said:

The comment about minority dentists just isn't true.

A Study put out by the WK Kellogg Foundation called "The Big Cavity" visits this same topic about minorities and community service. It can be found at www.communityvoices.org. You can search for it online or you can request that a free copy be sent to you in the mail. It is well-worth the read.

Some highlights of the study are:

A) Of all professionally active dentists, 87% White, 6% Asian, 0.2% Native American, 2.8% Hispanic American, and 2.2% AA.

B) AA dentists that were surveyed, reported that 60% of their patients were AA. Hispanic dentists reported that 45% of their patients were Hispanic American. These statistics point to a tendency for minority dentists to practice in their own communities who make up a large percentage of the poor in the country anyway.

C) Currently in dental school, about 5% AA, 5.2% Hispanic American, and 0.7% Native American.

My two cents is this: Affirmative Action is not the answer. The real answer is fixing underperforming urban elementary and high schools which don't educate on the level they should. So, minority students have a tougher road even before they know where they want to go. This is outside of the racism potholes, but it is a major part of it.

I was fortunate to attend private school from K-12 grade and then into college so I didn't get educated on a 3rd grade level in the 12 th grade.

In the two years I have posted on this forum, some of the comments have been arrogant if not offensive in some of the quick and uninformed assumptions that are passed around. I won't even go into some of the harsh names I have been called in the past. :eek:

That is one glaring weakness in the WK Kellogg study, it makes no mention of poor whites, and at first glance, implies that poor whites aren't affected the same as other poor people. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, minorities make up a vast part of the poor, but there are poor whites.

Poor Whites suffer the same as AA students. In a majority setting, they must be there b/c of Affirmative Action. At a historically black college, they must be there just b/c they are black. No group has to apologize more for success than African Americans.

There is a lack of humility in too many of my future colleagues on this website. I hope that this changes. Take care and GOD Bless.
Flame on flame on.

Hey, I'm all for information, I will request a copy of that report and read it. I can point out one flaw in your argument. Just because 60% of an AA DDS's patients are black does not mean that those AAs are poor. Are you assuming because they are AA they are poor? I mean, nothing wrong with it, but an AA Dentist in a middle class area can have 60% of their patients also be AA, those that live in their middle class area. Hey, people want to go to a dentist they feel comfortable with. As with everything in society, we feel more comfortable with people we have more in common with. You still didn't address the fact that these dentists are assumed to treat low-income areas, which I can say for North Carolina is not the case. I simply brought it up for discussion, which is what this place is here for. My statements do not make me a racist, because I am not. It is a subject however that I feel I can state an opinion on without being labelled a racist or bigot. Why is any discussion around ethnicity so taboo?

Like I said, I have yet to read the article. I would be interested if the people those AA dentist see are low income or not, because that is the real problem.

Okay, I read the article, good read but skews some data.

"In 1996-1997, 891 African American students were enrolled in the nation's dental schools, a 13.2% decrease from the 1,032 enrolled a decade earler"

This is misleading...the # enrolled dropped because in that time span 7 dental schools closed. The % remained about constant.

"During the period from 1986-1987, figures for graduates closely mirrored enrollment figures. The number of graduates decreased by 23.1%, from 4,957 to 3,810. White graduates decreased by about 35%. The numbers of African American and Hispanic American graduates were stable".

In essence, this article proves its own theory wrong. It states that AA enrollment is declining, which in numbers is but by % is not at all. Look at the number of AA graduates...it has remained the same over the 10 year period in spite the closure of 7 schools.

Anyways, thanks for the reference, was a good read. I'm not saying it isn't an important issue. What I am saying is this. Did any of you get denied when applying to UNC? How would you feel that a minority was let in with a DAT of 14 and a gpa of 2.5 who went to a small technical or community college, and you didn't? Because guess what, it happens. I think efforts need to be made earlier to recruit AA kids in high school etc to plan accordingly for college, not lower admissions standards and let in unqualified students, regardless of race.

DcS said:
Okay, I read the article, good read but skews some data.

"In 1996-1997, 891 African American students were enrolled in the nation's dental schools, a 13.2% decrease from the 1,032 enrolled a decade earler"

This is misleading...the # enrolled dropped because in that time span 7 dental schools closed. The % remained about constant.

"During the period from 1986-1987, figures for graduates closely mirrored enrollment figures. The number of graduates decreased by 23.1%, from 4,957 to 3,810. White graduates decreased by about 35%. The numbers of African American and Hispanic American graduates were stable".

In essence, this article proves its own theory wrong. It states that AA enrollment is declining, which in numbers is but by % is not at all. Look at the number of AA graduates...it has remained the same over the 10 year period in spite the closure of 7 schools.

Anyways, thanks for the reference, was a good read. I'm not saying it isn't an important issue. What I am saying is this. Did any of you get denied when applying to UNC? How would you feel that a minority was let in with a DAT of 14 and a gpa of 2.5 who went to a small technical or community college, and you didn't? Because guess what, it happens. I think efforts need to be made earlier to recruit AA kids in high school etc to plan accordingly for college, not lower admissions standards and let in unqualified students, regardless of race.

Did the student with the 14 DAT and 2.5 GPA flunk out of UNC?

charmstot said:
Did the student with the 14 DAT and 2.5 GPA flunk out of UNC?

Don't know they were admitted this past year. Don't worry, they'll be given plenty of advantages the rest of the students won't get to make sure they get by.

DcS said:
Don't know they were admitted this past year. Don't worry, they'll be given plenty of advantages the rest of the students won't get to make sure they get by.

VERY interesting comment. Care to elaborate? I've seen similar things happen before.