Which dental schools should I apply to

Started by kaulitza
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kaulitza

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I just got the results back from my DAT and I scored a 25 AA and a 23 PAT. I have no shadowing experience, however, I plan to shadow this upcoming year. Since I don't have that much money, I want to pick carefully which dental colleges to apply to instead of applying to all of them. Which colleges do you guys think would be worth applying to? Thank you very much!
 
Last edited:
Your numbers are obviously competitive. No shadowing + lack of clinical/non-clinical experience will be a big red flag.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Believe it or not all your answers were really helpful. (Also, if I wanted to brag, I would have just done it on FB). I didn't realize shadowing was that important. I maybe have like 10 hours of shadowing experience because I've been more focused on dental research and thought I could shadow this upcoming year instead. I'm going to be a junior this upcoming year as well so I thought I'd have a little more time to shadow. Thus, would it be more beneficial to wait to apply to dental school next cycle then?
 
Believe it or not all your answers were really helpful. (Also, if I wanted to brag, I would have just done it on FB). I didn't realize shadowing was that important. I maybe have like 10 hours of shadowing experience because I've been more focused on dental research and thought I could shadow this upcoming year instead. I'm going to be a junior this upcoming year as well so I thought I'd have a little more time to shadow. Thus, would it be more beneficial to wait to apply to dental school next cycle then?
Probably.
 
Look at Scumbag_Steve's Guide. It is stickied to the top of the pre-dental subforum.
 
your stats are amazing, wish I had those! just do 100 hours of shadowing, you can do more but a 100 is the standard. Maybe volunteer a little? and the world would be your oyster my friend, godspeed, good work on those stats.
 
your stats are amazing, wish I had those! just do 100 hours of shadowing, you can do more but a 100 is the standard. Maybe volunteer a little? and the world would be your oyster my friend, godspeed, good work on those stats.
I volunteered for a month teaching english in another country as well as regularly volunteering at school so i hope thats enough. So 100 shadowing hours is all i need? Is it easy to obtain?
 
Shadow, apply, and stop needing validation. Posts like this reek of insecurity and/or a lack of common sense. Those are both harder to obtain than an acceptance letter to dental school. Your state school, a few OOS friendly publics, maybe 1 or 2 privates you should be fine.
i suppose i lack a lot of common sense. didn't realize I was supposed to shadow earlier in college and thought i could push it off until junior year
 
I volunteered for a month teaching english in another country as well as regularly volunteering at school so i hope thats enough. So 100 shadowing hours is all i need? Is it easy to obtain?
yes it is, and don't feel nervous about it because I was, its really easy. Just ask your own dentist or someone your family knows so you can get an easier yes that way and tell them about the 100 hour thing (most of them were shocked so i'm not sure what they did to get into dental school) but anyway, I wouldn't recommend more then 5 hours a day because you are on your feet and it you wont have enough questions or care when you are tried and hungry! so just 4-5 hrs a day. you will most likely spend a lot of time with the hygienists and become friends with them while the doctor is talking to 5 thousand people and making phone calls. your volunteering is good. you sound like a really good applicant, don't stress =) folks like me should stress a lot! lol you are fine! take it easy and good luck