Which dental schools to apply to??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnomnom11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

GPA: 3.61
science GPA: 3.58
DAT: AA-19, TS-18, PAT-24, RC-22
Done plenty of shadowing and worked as an assistant. Three research experiences. I'm an Illinois resident.

So far, I'm applying to:
-University of Illinois-Chicago
-Marquette
-UC-San Francisco
-University of the Pacific

I'm at a loss for where else to apply but really don't feel comfortable with the few I have right now. Any help would be really appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

Done plenty of shadowing and worked as an assistant. Three research experiences. I'm an Illinois resident.

So far, I'm applying to:
-Marquette
-UC-San Francisco

I'm at a loss for where else to apply but really don't feel comfortable with the few I have right now. Any help would be really appreciated!!

UCSF (i heard is very OOS unfriendly) same for UOP i guess?

I would apply to more private schools just to be safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, why do you recommend more private schools?

Hello!

So far, I'm applying to:
-Marquette
-UC-San Francisco

You DAT score is too low for UoP, UCSF, and Marquette. I recommend retaking it. With your score, even with your good GPA, you options will be limited.

You DAT score is too low for UoP, UCSF, and Marquette. I recommend retaking it. With your score, even with your good GPA, you options will be limited.

Marquette's average AA was 19.8, with SCSF and UoP being 21. S/he is within range. No need to retake the DAT.

Marquette's average AA was 19.8, with SCSF and UoP being 21. S/he is within range. No need to retake the DAT.
3 points below the TS of UCSF and UoP though. Not sure how much those schools prioritize the DAT, but he/she will definitely be at a disadvantage in that area.

He has 19 AA and 18 TS. There's a big difference btw 20+ and below 19. If he wants a decent chance of getting in those schools, he will need to retake. Also, I do know off hand that UoP AA is 22.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay so for a shot at the reach schools, retake the DAT this summer. Thank you guys for the input!
Any suggestions on which other schools to possibly apply to? Out of state friendly, nice sim lab, and have early clinical work.
(I'm a girl, btw)

He has 19 AA and 18 TS. There's a big difference btw 20+ and below 19. If he wants a decent chance of getting in those schools, he will need to retake. Also, I do know off hand that UoP AA is 22.
It's true. Unless you have something spectacular on your app, I really don't think 19s are going to do it anymore. The cycle is too competitive to apply comfortably with those #s, IMO.

Just out of curiosity, why do you recommend more private schools?
Because this whole process can be random at times. It's best to maximize your chances by applying veryyyyyyyyy broadly and have some dream schools added into the mix.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so for a shot at the reach schools, retake the DAT this summer. Thank you guys for the input!
Any suggestions on which other schools to possibly apply to? Out of state friendly, nice sim lab, and have early clinical work.
(I'm a girl, btw)
woohoo! I am also an IL resident applying this year. I am applying to Pitt, Temple, UDM, CWRU, Maryland, Marquette, UIC, UOP, SIU, UConn (maybe), and Buffalo.

Also, any reason why you aren't applying to SIU?

Add Pitt to your list. I have similar numbers to you. Good luck.

It's true. Unless you have something spectacular on your app, I really don't think 19s are going to do it anymore. The cycle is too competitive to apply comfortably with those #s, IMO.
I don't think that's true at all. 19 is the average for matriculants.

High 19's, 19.9, 19.9, 19.7 is the mean score for AA, PA, TS for 2014/2015 but the mean GPA S/O is 3.48/3.65 though so probably evens out for the OP.

Just going on what I've heard throughout my interviews, I'm sure there's a ton of people at the large schools with 19s but it's all about where you want to go. If you want to get in somewhere, sure apply with a 19. But if you want to get into a state school or one of the more competitive programs, 21+ is more appropriate.

Just going on what I've heard throughout my interviews, I'm sure there's a ton of people at the large schools with 19s but it's all about where you want to go. If you want to get in somewhere, sure apply with a 19. But if you want to get into a state school or one of the more competitive programs, 21+ is more appropriate.
Just saying, I'm going to Pitt with 19s, and a 3.54 GPA.

Reactions: 1 users

Pitt's mean score last year was 20.7 with a class of 80 students. Given that a 20+ is in the 90+% of all DAT scores, there are fair number of students in the 19 range there. Now, if they would release the median and mode of scores, we wouldn't have to guess as much to what scores will get in or not :D.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you definitely have a shot...just not so much at the places you have listed. Like everyone else says, apply to every private school you'd consider going to and cover your bases.

Pitt's mean score last year was 20.7 with a class of 80 students. Given that a 20+ is in the 90+% of all DAT scores, there are fair number of students in the 19 range there. Now, if they would release the median and mode of scores, we wouldn't have to guess as much to what scores will get in or not :D.
Truth. Haha

woohoo! I am also an IL resident applying this year. I am applying to Pitt, Temple, UDM, CWRU, Maryland, Marquette, UIC, UOP, SIU, UConn (maybe), and Buffalo.

Also, any reason why you aren't applying to SIU?

Largely bc of location. I don't care to stay in the Midwest very much and if it were to be Illinois, the only school I'd really be interested in going to would be UIC. But to be honest, I haven't done much research at all on SIU's program for that reason.