Technology Which Desktop would be the best choice Dell or HP???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vincikai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year SUNY Binghamton undergrad premed,
Which Desktop would be the best choice Dell or HP???
Tell me about your personal experience with both computers.
also about which laptop to buy???

Members don't see this ad.

Dell, I just bought my dad one for his bday upon advice from a lot of my geeky-tech friends that said stay away from HP.

Personally, I would have bought an IBM/Lenovo but thats more than my parents really need.

vincikai said:

I love Dell, but they are very proprietary. If you decide to add RAM later, you have to buy Dell's RAM; what you can buy at the store won't work. I prefer IBM/Lenovo

Members don't see this ad :)
DNP student said:
I love Dell, but they are very proprietary. If you decide to add RAM later, you have to buy Dell's RAM; what you can buy at the store won't work. I prefer IBM/Lenovo

Really? What kind of RAM was that? I'm sure they say that you can only use Dell RAM without voiding the warranty, but my Dell laptop is running on 1/2 Dell branded SIMMS and 1/2 Kingston SIMMS.

vincikai said:
If those are you choices, Dell.

Honestly, see if there's a good mom&pop shop around that knows what they're doing. Otherwise, build your own.

Adcadet said:
Really? What kind of RAM was that? I'm sure they say that you can only use Dell RAM without voiding the warranty, but my Dell laptop is running on 1/2 Dell branded SIMMS and 1/2 Kingston SIMMS.

Granted it was an old Dell (bought it 6 years ago) that has recently been replaced. Last year I tried to add more RAM and the computer would not work. When I called Dell, they said that I either had to buy Dell RAM for it to work. I love Dell computers - but don't want to pay extra just to add RAM; so I bought an IBM.