Which division is deployment less likely

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dantheman2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

i saw somewhere that one is less likely to be deployed outside the U.S. if he joins which one of the three divisions, army, airforce, or navy? i don't remember which.
thanks,
dan

Members don't see this ad.

Does the AF have four year scholarships?
thanks,
dan

Is there a deadline to apply for the scholarship?
Does one need to apply before enrolling in dental school.
What's the timeline for this?
i went to the airforce's website and left a message for a recruiter.
hope he'll be able to answer my questions.
thanks,
dan

Members don't see this ad :)
If i don't want to be deployed should I bother applying?
Even if there is a small chance of being deployed outside the US I wouldn't do it.
thanks

I agree, if you are asking that question then don't even bother applying, as things stand now you are more likely than not to deploy and it could be for as much as 15 months if you join the Army, maybe less if you join the Navy or AF.

I think you'd be better off looking to loan repayment programs, maybe through Public Health Service or Indian Health Service. Explore your options.

thank you guys,
best to everyone,
dan

I agree, if you are asking that question then don't even bother applying, as things stand now you are more likely than not to deploy and it could be for as much as 15 months if you join the Army, maybe less if you join the Navy or AF.

I think you'd be better off looking to loan repayment programs, maybe through Public Health Service or Indian Health Service. Explore your options.

Are Loan repayment programs the same as student loans?
What are the advantages of going thru the US public health service?

No, loan repayment programs are institutions that will agree to pay back part of your loan while you are working for them. So you take out loans for school then figure out how to pay them back later. Some also give a sign on bonus which you can put toward your loans.

Advantages of Public Health Service over military service is you still get the benefits: little chance of malpractice lawsuits, good experience your first few years out, medical/dental coverage. Public health service doesn't move people around as often either and you probably have a better chance of picking where you want to work for your first tour.

I don't know much else about it though, you may try asking in one of the other Student Doctor Forums, or searching for their website.

If i don't want to be deployed should I bother applying?
Even if there is a small chance of being deployed outside the US I wouldn't do it.
thanks

if you don't want to deploy then the military isn't for you. I'm in the AF and although i haven't yet deploy (knock on wood) the chances are still there and you have to be prepared at all times (not just in your AEF). You may want to do IHS or US Public Health. You won't deploy but you'll be in remote location unless you get assigned to a coast guard station.

A lot of honest replies. All true. The military isn't for everyone. We give up a lot of our rights/wants so others can have them. If you and your family are not willing to sacrifice, don't sign up.

If I had to choose....4-6 months in Kuwait with the AF or 4 years in Cape Hope, AK (30 miles north of the arctic circle) with Indian health service or public health dept, I would pack my A-bags and dress light, Kuwait here I come.

A lot of honest replies. All true. The military isn't for everyone. We give up a lot of our rights/wants so others can have them. If you and your family are not willing to sacrifice, don't sign up.

If I had to choose....4-6 months in Kuwait with the AF or 4 years in Cape Hope, AK (30 miles north of the arctic circle) with Indian health service or public health dept, I would pack my A-bags and dress light, Kuwait here I come.

yes!:thumbup:

The OP is not alone on this one......there's lots of people that would sign up if it were not for those crazy deployments.

The problem is that this is the military that we are in and we just happen to be in the military during a time when deployments suck! Personally, I don't people serving with me who aren't willing to risk having to deploy. We all have to make sacrifices at some point in our careers. The military is not a bank to give free loans. You have to pay the loans (scholarships) back by doing what our country needs. If that means going to Afghanistan or Iraq, so be it. If they only want the free education, stay away!

and some of us (direct accession) aren't in it for the free education or the big fat check (no 60K check)

The problem is that this is the military that we are in and we just happen to be in the military during a time when deployments suck! Personally, I don't people serving with me who aren't willing to risk having to deploy. We all have to make sacrifices at some point in our careers. The military is not a bank to give free loans. You have to pay the loans (scholarships) back by doing what our country needs. If that means going to Afghanistan or Iraq, so be it. If they only want the free education, stay away!

Amen to this; you hit the nail on the head. Best post I have read in a while.

Is there a deadline to apply for the scholarship?
Does one need to apply before enrolling in dental school.
What's the timeline for this?
i went to the airforce's website and left a message for a recruiter.
hope he'll be able to answer my questions.
thanks,
dan

The AF deadline passed on Dec. 28th. They've had a lot of interest and usually do 2 boards, but because of the interest, they're only doing 1. Which is being held on Jan. 16th. If your AF application isn't in by now, then you're only hope with the AF is to apply and get selected off the waitlist or hope they create more funding to add additional scholarships. This is according to my AF recruiter.