Which DO schools have high residency match rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neolium

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Simple question: Which DO schools have high residency match rates?

I want to apply to about 6-7 DO schools and was curious to see which one's were the best. If I go to DO school (which is great!) I don't want to be limited to just OMT. Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Simple question: Which DO schools have high residency match rates?

What do you mean by that? I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean what percentage get their first choice, or how many people are matched and unmatched per given year? I think you really have no cause for worry, no matter which DO school you attend.

I want to apply to about 6-7 DO schools and was curious to see which one's were the best. If I go to DO school (which is great!) I don't want to be limited to just OMT. Thanks for your input.

Maybe you have a misconception about osteopathic medicine? I don't think you will be limited to a OMT/NMM residency; there are plenty of residencies in both the AOA and NRMP match. In fact, a number of AOA primary care residencies go unfilled each year. DO's are represented in all specialties of medicine and have the opportunity to specialize just like their MD counterparts. Unless you are a pretty bad student and score horribly on your COMLEX-USA and USMLE, and have no contacts, you will match in some field that suits you. As a DO, you have two opportunities to match, the AOA match and the NRMP (allopathic) match.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by that? I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean what percentage get their first choice, or how many people are matched and unmatched per given year? I think you really have no cause for worry, no matter which DO school you attend.

Maybe you have a misconception about osteopathic medicine? I don't think you will be limited to a OMT/NMM residency; there are plenty of residencies in both the AOA and NBME match. In fact, a number of AOA primary care residencies go unfilled each year. DO's are represented in all specialties of medicine and have the opportunity to specialize just like their MD counterparts. Unless you are a pretty bad student and score horribly on your COMLEX-USA and USMLE, and have no contacts, you will match in some field that suits you. As a DO, you have two opportunities to match, the AOA match and the NBME (allopathic) match.

Eh. It's more or less, you can burn money for the 2 matches, but you can only pick one. With AOA match preceding NRMP (Allopathic) match, you have to pick one or the other. An AOA match disqualifies you from being a part of the NRMP match. FYI: The NBME is the National Board of Medical Examiners and pertains to the allopathic USMLE Step exams. The NBOME pertains to osteopathic boards exams.

Getting your first choice depends from you and not only from your school. If you are a decent student and have decent board scores you will match anywhere you want, u just have to want it and put effort in it.

thanks! i didn't mean to say OMT was 'limited'. i just wanted to see which DO schools have good residency matches. The reason being is that some schools have better residency matches then others.

Eh. It's more or less, you can burn money for the 2 matches, but you can only pick one. With AOA match preceding NRMP (Allopathic) match, you have to pick one or the other. An AOA match disqualifies you from being a part of the NRMP match. FYI: The NBME is the National Board of Medical Examiners and pertains to the allopathic USMLE Step exams. The NBOME pertains to osteopathic boards exams.

Yeah, thanks, for the clarifications about the match process and for pointing out the error in my reference to NBME. :thumbup: I realized my errors shortly after I typed the message, but I was in the middle of running an errand so I couldn't make the necessary corrections. Thanks for catching it.

Here's a link to a thread were SDNer's have posted match lists for various DO schools for previous years:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=175626

You can check individual school websites as well. Some schools have their match lists on there. Also do a search for osteopathic match lists on SDN for more threads.

As others have said, "good" depends on your definition. EX: Number of (fill in blank).....speciliaty matches, Allo matches, Harvard/hopkins matches, first choice matches, location matches etc. You can skim the lists for what you are personally looking for.