Which DO schools have the prettiest campuses and best locations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I interviewed at NSU, the campus reminded me of a resort. The inside of the health sciences building reminded me of an international airport.

Tuition money well-spent ;)

Yes the campus is absolutely beautiful, but for a large (private) university they are lacking in medical research. They are finally constructing a research building, though. That is tuition money well-spent, IMO. Too bad it won't be finished by the time I would graduate (if I even am able to matriculate off the WL, I really shot myself in the foot by waiting too long to apply).

Members don't see this ad.

NSU = NOVA, right? That campus is awesome. I hope I get the chance to interview there.

NSU = NOVA, right? That campus is awesome. I hope I get the chance to interview there.

You got it. NSU = Nova Southeastern University. Which begs the question, why do people write "NOVA" as if that is their acronym, when it is clearly NSU? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
and elsewhere nova is shorthand for villanova.

I love this thread! My only criteria for school choice is that it's pretty...oh, and that I get accepted too.

Touro - Harlem (TUCOM-NY)

5278873090_9fe9a32012_z.jpg

What more do you need? The fat lady store, a pawn shop, and used electronics all in a row.

If I thought that I was on the fence about Touro Harlem, before, this picture has sealed the deal. I'd better get a new red pen to x out days on my interview calendar for this piece of the pie.

You got it. NSU = Nova Southeastern University. Which begs the question, why do people write "NOVA" as if that is their acronym, when it is clearly NSU? ;)

Idk, but NSU is much easier to type.

I agree with the poster above me about TUCOM-NY. I probably won't send in my secondary. What's their secondary fee?

Idk, but NSU is much easier to type.

I agree with the poster above me about TUCOM-NY. I probably won't send in my secondary. What's their secondary fee?

Oh, just $200

:eek:

Also, NSU has quickly made its way to one of the top spots on my DO list purely because of how awesome the campus looks.

Oh, just $200

:eek:

TUCOM-NY is TWO HUNDRED USD? Definitely not submitting. Woohoo! already saved $200 and time spent on a secondary :thumbup:

If Touro has enough money to purchase NYCM (or whatever MD program it was) and has a $200 secondary fee, you would think they'd have enough money to purchase a few buildings just for themselves.

Also, NSU has quickly made its way to one of the top spots on my DO list purely because of how awesome the campus looks.

I am still kicking myself about not applying earlier to DO schools. I'm still waitlisted at Nova, and I just read somebody got accepted a few days ago who interviewed on one of the last days...

TUCOM-NY is TWO HUNDRED USD? Definitely not submitting. Woohoo! already saved $200 and time spent on a secondary :thumbup:

If Touro has enough money to purchase NYCM (or whatever MD program it was) and has a $200 secondary fee, you would think they'd have enough money to purchase a few buildings just for themselves.

haha, no joke!

Members don't see this ad :)

true dat

I am still kicking myself about not applying earlier to DO schools. I'm still waitlisted at Nova, and I just read somebody got accepted a few days ago who interviewed on one of the last days...

Well you're in, so that's all that matters. Are you still hopeful about movement on the Temple wait list?

Well you're in, so that's all that matters. Are you still hopeful about movement on the Temple wait list?

Hopeful, yes... but the reality of the possibility is slowly dwindling...:( I'm not what you call an "above average" candidate, even though I rocked in my Master's program and I'm working on more publications. Still :xf: for Nova or Temple.

Hopeful, yes... but the reality of the possibility is slowly dwindling...:( I'm not what you call an "above average" candidate, even though I rocked in my Master's program and I'm working on more publications. Still :xf: for Nova or Temple.
Rooting for you NeuroLAX, let us know the good news soon. Mind giving your gpa and mcat scores?

Rooting for you NeuroLAX, let us know the good news soon. Mind giving your gpa and mcat scores?

Yeah, good luck good sir!

Thanks! I will keep you posted. I don't know my GPA because I never looked at my app after it was released. I'll try and look for it on Thursday or Friday. My MCAT is 29O

Anyone have their own pictures of PCOM-Philly or DMU aside from the ones found on internet?

I was actually thinking of driving down to DMUs campus and putting some pictures up, the ones you find on the interwebz doesn't do it much justice or a sense of the campus.

What more do you need? The fat lady store, a pawn shop, and used electronics all in a row.

If I thought that I was on the fence about Touro Harlem, before, this picture has sealed the deal. I'd better get a new red pen to x out days on my interview calendar for this piece of the pie.

oo you sir are just oozing sarcasm.

Remember it is in the city = fantastic night life. :rolleyes:
You haven't gotten inside, it is newly furnished. Even with a gym next to the cafe.
2 years of preclinical studies = trapped in lecture/room = you will be too much of a zombie to notice the outside env.
the downside for most is the living expense.

I like the city and all, but not as a broke ass student.

Yes the campus is absolutely beautiful, but for a large (private) university they are lacking in medical research. They are finally constructing a research building, though. That is tuition money well-spent, IMO. Too bad it won't be finished by the time I would graduate (if I even am able to matriculate off the WL, I really shot myself in the foot by waiting too long to apply).

When did you send out your applications?

2 years of preclinical studies = trapped in lecture/room = you will be too much of a zombie to notice the outside env.
+1

How about the safety especially at nights? Harlem shouldn't be pretty to be in at then. Is there a parking structure for students? I hardly imagine myself taking the bus/metro to home (I might choose to live in Jersey City or Clifton, NJ, though, I've a family.)

+1

How about the safety especially at nights? Harlem shouldn't be pretty to be in at then. Is there a parking structure for students? I hardly imagine myself taking the bus/metro to home (I might choose to live in Jersey City or Clifton, NJ, though, I've a family.)

morning commute to classes = death + the toll fees.
initially i tried to plan living in the city and next to it like across the river and in jersey, but the costs is
too much for me.

I don't think school provides parking place..maybe i am wrong.
in harlem you will encounter a lot of ppl, some will bring troubles... i think it isn't as bad as it use to be. but definitely need to watch for yourself at nights.

I lived around (jersey city, clifton) for 2-3 years..and i know morning commute into the city is bad.

morning commute to classes = death + the toll fees.
initially i tried to plan living in the city and next to it like across the river and in jersey, but the costs is
too much for me.

I don't think school provides parking place..maybe i am wrong.
in harlem you will encounter a lot of ppl, some will bring troubles... i think it isn't as bad as it use to be. but definitely need to watch for yourself at nights.

I lived around (jersey city, clifton) for 2-3 years..and i know morning commute into the city is bad.
Then, what could be your regional recommendation to rent an apartment for a family having school-aged kids? How far is too far?

Also, when do the classes start and finish? Is it safe to hit the streets to catch a bus after the classes finish? How do you commute?

Then, what could be your regional recommendation to rent an apartment for a family having school-aged kids? How far is too far?

Also, when do the classes start and finish? Is it safe to hit the streets to catch a bus after the classes finish? How do you commute?

I can't say so and don't know. You better off asking current students.
I hope you will find your answers.
GL

Same. Good luck!

oo you sir are just oozing sarcasm.

Remember it is in the city = fantastic night life. :rolleyes:
You haven't gotten inside, it is newly furnished. Even with a gym next to the cafe.
the downside for most is the living expense.

I like the city and all, but not as a broke ass student.

I live in the city now and I will definitely miss it if I end up at a rural med school. The upside to city life is convenience even if it comes with a higher cost of living. I grew up rural, but have come to love the city.

Same. Good luck!

I live in the city now and I will definitely miss it if I end up at a rural med school. The upside to city life is convenience even if it comes with a higher cost of living. I grew up rural, but have come to love the city.

Yeah I grew up pretty rural too. Think living outside of a town with a population of about 250! Been in cities for the past 10 yrs now and I love it, but I would LOVE an excuse to "have to" live in the country again. Not like I'm going to spend much time doing recreational stuff anyway...

Same. Good luck!

Thanks! You too!

Yeah I grew up pretty rural too. Think living outside of a town with a population of about 250! Been in cities for the past 10 yrs now and I love it, but I would LOVE an excuse to "have to" live in the country again. Not like I'm going to spend much time doing recreational stuff anyway...

I grew up rural til I was about 5 or 6. Are either of you applying to RVU? I believe it was their secondary that asked what kind of area you're from, population, etc. I thought it was kind of an odd section to include... but it was for your current area or where you have spent most of your life, something like that. Either way, I've been in the burbs since I was 6 so I couldn't but rural.

This past cycle has turned into one giant blur. Sometimes it's hard to remember what was on specific secondaries!

Same. Good luck!

i agree, hopefully I end up in a one either on the east and hopefully west coast.

I don't like living at rural places. i took some classes at this institution, place I lived is sort of like a country club, there is hardily any diversity. boring and bland as hell. couldn't wait to get out of there.

that is why I can't never imagine myself going to schools like VCOM, WVSOM, ..etc that is in the south.

i agree, hopefully I end up in a one either on the east and hopefully west coast.

I don't like living at rural places. i took some classes at this institution, place I lived is sort of like a country club, there is hardily any diversity. boring and bland as hell. couldn't wait to get out of there.

that is why I can't never imagine myself going to schools like VCOM, WVSOM, ..etc that is in the south.
+1
I like living in the city, cannot image myself living in a country club, boring as hell.:cool:

Thanks! You too!

I grew up rural til I was about 5 or 6. Are either of you applying to RVU? I believe it was their secondary that asked what kind of area you're from, population, etc. I thought it was kind of an odd section to include... but it was for your current area or where you have spent most of your life, something like that. Either way, I've been in the burbs since I was 6 so I couldn't but rural.

This past cycle has turned into one giant blur. Sometimes it's hard to remember what was on specific secondaries!

Yeah I applied to RVU. My first choice is actually western u in Lebanon Oregon for being close to my wife's family in portland.

Even any ground shots of CCOM would be appreciated! I want to see pictures of the new anatomy lab..

Touché. I don't remember seeing those. Looks pretty nice. Thanks!

WVSOM and LMU-DCOM are beautiful if you like the mountains/country

Here are some more pics of the University of North Texas Health Science Center -TCOM

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

Wrong body of water. There is no downside here:

Gov+charlie+crist+florida.jpg

Florida governor Charlie Crist inspects Miami beach after BP oil spill

I could think of a few ways to clean up that oil...

In all seiousness, though, along with my in-state schools, Nova and Bradenton LECOM are my top choices purely for the paradise aspect. I want to work in florida, and I can see myself soaking up the latin club environment, I love me some salsa.

hmm...I wonder if its acceptable for interviewees to take pictures with their cameras during campus tours?:confused:

I used to live in harlem and walked by Touro now and then... from the looks of it I figured one might go there to get a beauty license or train as an electrician

So, I drove by Touro NV yesterday since I was in the area, and that university is seriously in a big warehouse. It's in an industrial area surrounded by other warehouses.

Not that I have an issue with it, I'm kinda hoping to go there since it would mean not uprooting my life and not leaving the house my wife and I own, but I was surprised that it seriously was a warehouse in a business park.

They've got it painted nicely and nice signs and some landscaping around it. But yeah, warehouse.

Seeing all of these other posts seriously made me jealous. All of the rest of you are going to real universities, I've got my sights on going to what looks like a rejected University of Phoenix building.

Here it is on Google Earth if you wanna play around.

So, I drove by Touro NV yesterday since I was in the area, and that university is seriously in a big warehouse. It's in an industrial area surrounded by other warehouses.

Not that I have an issue with it, I'm kinda hoping to go there since it would mean not uprooting my life and not leaving the house my wife and I own, but I was surprised that it seriously was a warehouse in a business park.

They've got it painted nicely and nice signs and some landscaping around it. But yeah, warehouse.

Seeing all of these other posts seriously made me jealous. All of the rest of you are going to real universities, I've got my sights on going to what looks like a rejected University of Phoenix building.

Here it is on Google Earth if you wanna play around.

Touro NV may not be a paradise, but it's still very close to Las Vegas. I think I'd be fine sacrificing beauty to live in Vegas.

Touro NV may not be a paradise, but it's still very close to Las Vegas. I think I'd be fine sacrificing beauty to live in Vegas.
You can pretty much say Vegas and be okay. Henderson is pretty much Vegas.

I guess everyone has different things they are looking for for different reason... But if "real college campus" is anyone's reason, I'd have to say that this is the least like a real college campus of any of the schools I have seen in this thread.

Touro NV may not be a paradise...
Oh, but if you DO want to live in Paradise, AND attend Touro NV, you might be happy to know that it's a completely realistic goal because most of what people think of as "Las Vegas" is actually in the town of Paradise, NV. :D

Oh, but if you DO want to live in Paradise, AND attend Touro NV, you might be happy to know that it's a completely realistic goal because most of what people think of as "Las Vegas" is actually in the town of Paradise, NV. :D

I actually live right down the street from Paradise.