Which DO schools initally screen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shmini

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey does anyone know which DO schools have an inital screening?

Members don't see this ad.

They all screen initially, but most people pass these initial screening....

so if u get a secondary that means your numbers (mcat and gpa) were ok?

Members don't see this ad :)
That would mean that you've gotten above the minimum requirement for GPA and MCAT's....

are u sure about that? I heard CCOM sends everyone a secondary, but im not sure.

I'm pretty sure.... but you have to keep in mind that most of the minimum numbers are pretty low anyway....

More importantly is that the screening really happen after you send in your secondaries....

I was wondering.... is this a factor for your application? Are you trying to narrow down your choices based on which on screen?

I applied to 11 schools and i was just wondering how many will or will not send secondaries? I think i should start thinking abour general secondary questions. Thanks for your replys Popoy

Visit www.aacom.org for the requirements....

I also wanted to mention that TUCOM has a minimum requirement of 3.0 overall and science.... If you don't have this you're probably not going to get any interview, but get a secondary anyway....

If you applied to 11 osteopathic medical schools.... I can guarantee that you'll get secondaries from all of them.... Make sure you finish them as soon as possible and you'll do fine....

Next thing you know you'll be worrying about interviews.... Here's a site to visit for interviews: www.interviewfeedback.com

BTW, I am but one person so wait for others to reply... I'm sure they know something that I don't know....

There is a booklet that you can get from AACOMAS that gives a description of all 19 osteopathic medical schools. Included in that info are the minimum stats that you must have in order to get a secondary app per school. This booklet is either free or available at a very small price (paperback). I think it will answer many of your questions, so check it out! Good luck!

Yes, most schools (MD and DO) will send you a secondary app. so they can collect your $$$. Just the way it is.
DMU does not do this as far as I am aware. As I was told (I'm on the admissions committee), DMU basis its initial screening the same way as any other school... GPA and MCAT scores. However, this has its benefits... if you get a secondary, you are very likely to recieve an interview. The purpose of the interview at DMU is to get to know the applicant and see if they would be a good member of the DMU community.
For what its worth, send in all the secondaries you get... you never know what can happen!

-Josh Smith Pharm.D., D.O. '04
DMU

You don't get a secondary for NYCOM unless you are invited for an interview. When you get there, you'll fill out the secondary and pay $60 for the application fee.

As muonwhiz stated, there is an information booklet that gives the schools minimum stats. That can be found online as well as in paperback. For example, Oklahoma State University of Osteopathic Medicine requires that you have an average of 7s( at least a 21 total) on each part of the MCAT. If you apply and don't meet this requirement, you will not get a secondary.

The majority of schools send out secondaries out to everyone that applied and then they start screening after they receive the secondary applications.

From what I've heard, TUCOM does not send out a secondary if you don't have at least 3.2 science and overall. Call admissions to double-check.

Originally posted by ShellBelle:
•From what I've heard, TUCOM does not send out a secondary if you don't have at least 3.2 science and overall. Call admissions to double-check.•

You know what? I was told this also by Dr. Haight, but I knew of several people with gpa's below 3.2 or 3.0 that got secondaries..... I think this 3.0/3.2 cut off is for granting interviews....

One more thing,apple638 is right.... I forgot about the NYCOM secondaries only being given after an interview is granted....

WVSOM is the same as NYCOM (I believe)... you receive the secondary application once you are invited for an interview.

I agree with jsdmu in that every school wants to send out as many secondaries as it possibly can so that they can rake in the money. My first year applying I applied to the DO schools after thanksgiving and they all sent me secondaries. To my surprise, I sent them all back before their due dates and I ended up with a bunch of letters stating they were sorry but they are done scheduling interviews and that they encourage me to apply again next year. What a load of ****, don't you think? Being at school now, you just can't help but think its all about trying to make money for the school. You pay some $28-30,000 for tuition and they still charge you to rent microscopes and buy books. There are people at my school with below minimum gpa and MCATS so its hard for me to state that there are these "minimum" requirements.