Which factors increase respiration rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babowc

Per angusta ad augusta
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's no question for it, I was just curious.
CliffAP says pH changes will increase respiration rate.

Does increase/decrease in temperature change respiration rate?

Members don't see this ad.

A decrease in blood pH will increase respiration rate. This is because of the increased levels of CO2 (its called respiratory acidosis), which are sensed by chemoreceptors. I believe temperature change does as well. I Think the higher the temperature, the higher the respiration rate. Someone may want to clarify that.

A decrease in blood pH will increase respiration rate. This is because of the increased levels of CO2 (its called respiratory acidosis), which are sensed by chemoreceptors. I believe temperature change does as well. I Think the higher the temperature, the higher the respiration rate. Someone may want to clarify that.

You're totally right. Studies have been done on crickets where the cricket breathes significantly more when it's hot out. For whatever reason temperature increases Cellular respiration and thus more CO2 is produce and must be eliminated from the body by breathing more.

i believe it is called respiratory alkalosis not acidosis. respiratory acidosis is when you hypoventilate (dont breathe as much) and as a result, there is a buildup of hydrogen ion concentration (or decrease in pH).

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the decrease in pH comes from the CO2/H2O forming carbonic acid, H2CO3?(?) which breaks down into HCO3- and H+, causing acidic conditions = acidosis?

I would love to have someone clarify the temperature portion of this..

thats right but you have to consider the bicarbonate buffer system. when you dont breath, you are keeping a lot of CO2 in your blood. Since a lot of co2 is in the blood, according to LecHatler's principle, you are shifting the system to HCO3 and H+.. causing more production of HCO3 and H+ and less production of CO2 (since you already have a lot of it already).. thus the increase in pH. this is caused respiratory acidosis

An increase in CO2 also corresponds to a more acidic, lower pH. Both of these factors contribute to an increased rate of respiration and causes hemoglobin to unload its oxygen. Temperature also affects it. I think of it like when your exercising, your muscles are getting hot and they need oxygen, so hemoglobin unloads more oxygen and the oxygen dissociation curve shifts right.

Increase CO2, lower pH, increased temperatures all result in more oxygen being released from hemoglobin. Hope this made some kind of sense!

i believe it is called respiratory alkalosis not acidosis. respiratory acidosis is when you hypoventilate (dont breathe as much) and as a result, there is a buildup of hydrogen ion concentration (or decrease in pH).

Your right. I was more thinking along the lines of the compensatory mechanism