Which Full Lengths to Take as a Retaker?

Started by Zee Ree 1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Zee Ree 1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

So I took the April 13th MCAT (23 :/) a couple of months ago and took all the AAMC full lengths. I'm retaking on Aug 23rd and have noticed that I'm recognizing some of the AAMC passages.

With about 2.5 weeks to go, which full lengths should I take? I have access to the Kaplan FLs but read that they aren't a good predictor of your actual test score. I'm still finishing up the BR passages but would like to take actual full lengths as well. What do I do?

Any advice or feedback would be great.
 
This may help.

How would you rank the FLs?

In terms of easily accessible tests (tests that are available to non-class MCAT studiers), BR is your best bet.

When considering all four, unlike MCAT prep books, I don't think the agreement on practice test ranking is that strong. Most tend to agree that the later AAMC tests are the best, but beyond that, there isn't much of a consensus. There's even an argument to be made that the AAMCs are only really good for verbal since there are more accurate CBTs in regards to the sciences. Despite this, your first priority should be to take all of the AAMC FLs in order from 3 to 11

1. AAMC #7-11
2. BR #1-7
3. Kaplan #1-6
4. AAMC #3-5
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10/GS

The reason why TPR tests are so low is because the opinions are too mixed to gain a good read.
 
That's actually his old one. I think he updated and made GS tests to be parallel with TPR or TBR. Anyways, AAMC tests are definitely the best predictors. But considering if you've taken them all prior to your April test, they probably won't do you any good considering you will remember some of the questions. I personally bought GS tests, they are cheap, and they are cheap. I liked how they presented some of the science concepts in relatively interesting ways. Their PS and BS sections are decent practice. I have not taken TPR or Kaplan tests, so can't comment.

Anyways, if you got a 23 last time have you found your weaknesses this time around? Practice tests are more important for finding your weaknesses, learn the AAMC reasoning, and grasp time management than just using them to gauge a score. Best of luck.