Which GPA will Pharm. school look at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Verduchi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today I looked at my math and physics GPA on my Pharmcas application and it is lower than I expected and dragging my overall GPA down. Only thing I can come up with is that I use to be an engineer student who took calculus based physics as well as differential equations and calc.2 and 3. My grades are much higher in the college physics courses along with stats.1 and calculus 1, which are pre-reqs for the pharmacy schools I applied to.

My question is will the pharmacy school only look at the overall Pharmcas GPA or will they look at my official transcripts and not be too concerned with the other Physics, engineering, and math classes that are not pre-reqs for the school?

Members don't see this ad.

How far down are you talking about? If they are still decent they will be an advantage as they prefer higher level than the prereqs. Who would you think is more prepared? Someone who just did the freshman prereqs and got As or someone who finished a degree and got a few Bs and maybe some Cs along the way?

Like I would have a 3.0 in Physics if they counted college physics 1 & 2. And would have a 3.87 in math if they only counted calc. 1 and stats 1. Instead I have 2.5 and 2.8 in Physics and math GPA'S respectively. All these courses have brought my overall GPA down to about 2.75

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So today I looked at my math and physics GPA on my Pharmcas application and it is lower than I expected and dragging my overall GPA down. Only thing I can come up with is that I use to be an engineer student who took calculus based physics as well as differential equations and calc.2 and 3. My grades are much higher in the college physics courses along with stats.1 and calculus 1, which are pre-reqs for the pharmacy schools I applied to.

My question is will the pharmacy school only look at the overall Pharmcas GPA or will they look at my official transcripts and not be too concerned with the other Physics, engineering, and math classes that are not pre-reqs for the school?

Schools generally look at overall first.

I personally know somebody who got in with a 2.7 overall and math. Science was around 3.0 I believe.