which interviews to go on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rush has that potential

Northshore and UIC . . . probably not

Dude, honestly, it good for your soul to go away from home for awhile. Be the "guy from Chicago" in your residency class.

Though, I don't remember your social situation. If you're married with a child, family will help a lot if you have them around because you'll be pretty unreliable time-wise for the next few years.

Thanks man. I've been in Ohio for the past 4 years and I have to admit being the Chicago Dude is kinda fun lol. I am married with a 2 month old with both sets of grandparents in Chicago. So the family support is huge here. I'm torn:laugh:

C'mon UChicago, I need some love!

Hey DrVanNostran, Congratulations for the newest member of your team :)

Members don't see this ad :)
...C'mon UChicago, I need some love!

Not to be a buzzkill, but I got the following email about a week before the Dean's Letter went out. They dished a lot of invites early. It did subsequently open up, and they had several days available, just giving you a heads up. Maybe time to call them and see where you're at.

"Good morning,

The Internal Medicine Programs @ the University of Chicago would like to

apologize for the delays in our responses.

Thank you for your response; unfortunately, all of our interview slots have

been scheduled.

We have placed you on our waiting list for the dates you selected.

Once a slot becomes available we will contact you.

Also we have opened two new dates, Thursday, January 26th and

Friday, January 27th.

Let me know if you are interested as soon as possible, as our dates fill up

fast.

If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

([email protected])

Have a wonderful day and again thank you."

Not to be a buzzkill, but I got the following email about a week before the Dean's Letter went out. They dished a lot of invites early. It did subsequently open up, and they had several days available, just giving you a heads up. Maybe time to call them and see where you're at.

"Good morning,

been scheduled.

Friday, January 27th.

fast.

([email protected])

Nearly flipped out when they sent that email--I waited a week to get my date confirmed and then I got this email. Needless to say I panicked and picked one of the other days, only to have them email me back 3 days later apologizing for the confusion and granting me my original preference. Very weird. In the end, excited for UofC considering Northwestern seems to have pan-rejected a lot of us.

"Good morning,

been scheduled.

Friday, January 27th.

fast.

([email protected])

Damn, thanks man.

Which two to go on? interested in heme/onc or immunology at a strong academic institution.
Brown
Jeff
Tufts
BU

They still have dates open, I just rescheduled my interview with them to a day earlier in January. Keep your chin up.

Thanks mank! I really hope that they swing an interview my way :)

Which two to go on? interested in heme/onc or immunology at a strong academic institution.
Brown
Jeff
Tufts
BU

I would say BU>Jeff=Brown>Tufts. BU seems to be a killer program but they match very well. I am really going to try to go to my Brown interview, they seem to match H/O pretty well. I don't know much about the A&I programs so can't give ya much there :) Good luck!

Brown
Jeff
Tufts
BU

I'd personally hit Jeff and Brown but a good argument could be made for BU in place of either of those other two. Honestly, just pick the two cities you'd prefer to live in and call it good.

There's nothing frankly wrong with Tufts, but there's nothing particularly right with it either. Of the 4 you mentioned it's clearly the weakest link.

Right now I have to pick between JHU-Bayview and Brown. Bayview has a legit link to JHU for H/O but Providence is a more family friendly city and the program is pretty good.

Right now I have to pick between JHU-Bayview and Brown. Bayview has a legit link to JHU for H/O but Providence is a more family friendly city and the program is pretty good.

OK...I love New England and, since you're a family man, I can completely understand choosing Providence over B'More.

But...I think you'd be making a mistake not checking out Bayview. In a perfect world you could go to both but if I had to choose, I'd go with Bayview.

Thanks for the input. I was able to schedule both Maryland and Bayview back to back, so that will save me some interview time. I am looking forward to seeing both, both get a lot of hype :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to pare it down to 15 total.

Already been on 4:
UTSA
UTSW
UMich
UIC

Upcoming (choose 11):
UChicago
UWash
WashU
UMary
UColorado
Emory (Grandparents, extended family, & hills)
UCSD (Only California interview)
OHSU (Bicycle Rights!)
Yale
BCM (Went to undergrad & parents live here)
UTH (Went to undergrad & parents live here)
BUMC (no flight or hotel required)
Mayo Rochester
Cleveland Clinic
Georgetown (Brother lives here)
Cornell (GF in NYC)
NYU (GF in NYC)
Einstein (GF in NYC)
SUNY Downstate (GF in NYC)

Still Waiting:
Columbia (possible, but doubtful)
Mt Sinai (possibly)
BID, BWH, MGH (nope)
Duke (highly unlikely)
JHU (nope)

Last edited:

Already been on 4:
UTSA
UTSW
UMich
UIC

Upcoming (choose 11):
UChicago
UWash
WashU
UMary
UColorado
OHSU (Bicycle Rights!)
Yale
Mayo Rochester
Cleveland Clinic
Cornell (GF in NYC)
NYU (GF in NYC)
Einstein (GF in NYC)

Still Waiting:
Mt Sinai (possibly)
BID, BWH, MGH (nope)
Duke (highly unlikely)
JHU (nope)

I think:
1. UChicago
2. U Washington
3. WashU
4. UCSD
5. OHSU
6. Yale
7. Mayo
8. NYU
9. Cornell
10.Baylor
11.Colorado

Already been on 4:
UTSA
UTSW
UMich
UIC

Upcoming (choose 11):
UChicago
UWash
WashU
UMary
UColorado
OHSU (Bicycle Rights!)
Yale
Mayo Rochester
Cleveland Clinic
Cornell (GF in NYC)
NYU (GF in NYC)
Einstein (GF in NYC)

Still Waiting:
Mt Sinai (possibly)
BID, BWH, MGH (nope)
Duke (highly unlikely)
JHU (nope)

Can you tell me what you thought of UT- San Antonio?

OK so I need to cancel a couple more programs of these which are the strongest programs and which two should be canceled? Thanks for all they help guys.

UCLA-harbor
Arizona
New Mexico
Wake
Drexel

OK so I need to cancel a couple more programs of these which are the strongest programs and which two should be canceled? Thanks for all they help guys.

UCLA-harbor
Arizona
New Mexico
Wake
Drexel

Cancel Drexel and the program in the place you least want to live. I'd personally cancel Harbor but rational arguments could be made for any of the other programs.

This process is hard...lol. I didn't realize that Drexel would be so far down on my list. I cant seem to find there match list or there current residents. Im guessing if your suggesting I cancel it its because they are not strong.

Upcoming (choose 11):

UChicago
UWash
WashU
UMary
UColorado
OHSU (Bicycle Rights!)
Yale
Mayo Rochester
Cleveland Clinic
Cornell (GF in NYC)
NYU (GF in NYC)
Einstein (GF in NYC)

Tough man. Definitely cancel GT and UTH.

How bad do you want to be in NYC? (regular trim does help the residency process)

This process is hard...lol. I didn't realize that Drexel would be so far down on my list. I cant seem to find there match list or there current residents. Im guessing if your suggesting I cancel it its because they are not strong.

They aren't "bad" per se just not stand out.

Trying to decide between University of Maryland and Virginia. Any thoughts?

Do you guys think it's too late to add a program on ERAS?
Thinking about adding NYU to the list. Site says deadline is December 1 but
realistically would I be considered an interview this late in the game?

Any thoughts on NYU?

Do you guys think it's too late to add a program on ERAS?
Thinking about adding NYU to the list. Site says deadline is December 1 but
realistically would I be considered an interview this late in the game?

Any thoughts on NYU?

It will be harder to get an interview, but if the deadline is then its worth a shot IMO.

anyone have any thoughts on AECOM jacobi vs. AECOM beth israel vs. SUNY downstate? are they worth going to interview if I have Montefiore and St. Luke's?

thanks

anyone have any thoughts on AECOM jacobi vs. AECOM beth israel vs. SUNY downstate? are they worth going to interview if I have Montefiore and St. Luke's?

thanks

Not really. Definitely not Downstate (says the Downstate med school alum). Consider Jacobi if you MUST have that county experience.

Not really. Definitely not Downstate (says the Downstate med school alum). Consider Jacobi if you MUST have that county experience.

I'm curious, what's wrong with Downstate? And how would you compare Downstate, Jacobi, and Montefiore? I know Montefiore is a stronger program than the other 2, but I'm interested to hear what the differences are since I'm trying to slim down my # of interviews.

please help which interviews to go to in order: OHSU, Baylor Houston, UTSW, UCI ?

interested in GI...

Hey guys, any help would be much appreciated!! Not sure about fellowships, but as of now I'm digging pulm/cc, nephro, rheum.

Which two should I cancel???

U of Louisville
Kentucky
Indiana
Utah (know it's popular on this site just don't know why (no sarcasm here) but being from the south it will be a pricey trip and I'm concerned about potential lack of patient diversity -- was hoping to pair this trip with OHSU but odds of me snagging that interview are looking pretty slim at this point, so not sure if I can justify the trip now…

Dartmouth vs. Mt Sinai

I'm considering GI as a possible specialty choice in the future (like everyone else :rolleyes:). Cost of living in NYC is going to blow. But Dartmouth seems to be in the middle of no where. I know Mt. Sinai's GI program is in the top 10 (as per US News & World Report). But a friend of mine told me that having Dartmouth behind your name for residency would open more doors for fellowship. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, any help would be much appreciated!! Not sure about fellowships, but as of now I'm digging pulm/cc, nephro, rheum.

Which two should I cancel???

U of Louisville
Kentucky
Indiana
Utah (know it's popular on this site just don't know why (no sarcasm here) but being from the south it will be a pricey trip and I'm concerned about potential lack of patient diversity -- was hoping to pair this trip with OHSU but odds of me snagging that interview are looking pretty slim at this point, so not sure if I can justify the trip now…

Cancel Louisville and Ketucky, IMHO

Utah is more diverse than you'd at first think. Look at a map and find the next big closest University Hospital to Salt Lake, which make a for arguably the largest referall area of any University Hospital in the country generally.

If you really just can't wrap your head around Salt Lake, then cancel Utah and go to Kentucky.

You need to go to Indiana

Dartmouth vs. Mt Sinai

I'm considering GI as a possible specialty choice in the future (like everyone else :rolleyes:). Cost of living in NYC is going to blow. But Dartmouth seems to be in the middle of no where. I know Mt. Sinai's GI program is in the top 10 (as per US News & World Report). But a friend of mine told me that having Dartmouth behind your name for residency would open more doors for fellowship. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

MSSM is very well respected. There is nothing wrong with Dartmouth - it's a great program - but it's not so standout that you lose points for going to MSSM over Dartmouth. MSSM's GI match is ridiculous too if I recall correctly - really impressively good.

Cancel Louisville and Ketucky, IMHO

Utah is more diverse than you'd at first think. Look at a map and find the next big closest University Hospital to Salt Lake, which make a for arguably the largest referall area of any University Hospital in the country generally.

If you really just can't wrap your head around Salt Lake, then cancel Utah and go to Kentucky.

You need to go to Indiana

Thanks, jdh! The chair of my IM program rec'd it briefly, which is why I applied.. just couldn't find many opinions on this site about them... Appreciate the input :)

MSSM is very well respected. There is nothing wrong with Dartmouth - it's a great program - but it's not so standout that you lose points for going to MSSM over Dartmouth. MSSM's GI match is ridiculous too if I recall correctly - really impressively good.

Thanks man! I think I'll go with MSSM. Kinda works out since I have Cornell scheduled the day before. Guess I can get these NY schools done around the same time and save some money.

Any thoughts on Emory? I have it scheduled right now, but am starting to second think it. I've heard from more than one person that it was (maybe still is) known to be a malignant program to its interns/residents. Look through my interview list, I have 23+ interview offers, but I will probably only go on 18-20 since I declined or double booked some. Any advice is appreciated it. Thanks again!

Anyone have thoughts about UNC Chapel Hill? I'm familiar with the area, so I'm strictly talking program strengths and weaknesses because I have heard mixed reviews

Any thoughts on Emory? I have it scheduled right now, but am starting to second think it. I've heard from more than one person that it was (maybe still is) known to be a malignant program to its interns/residents. Look through my interview list, I have 23+ interview offers, but I will probably only go on 18-20 since I declined or double booked some. Any advice is appreciated it. Thanks again!

I'm interviewing there in the near future. I will post a review once I am there. However, from I have heard from people at my school was similar to what you did. They said that the program definitely came across as tough, but no malignant. They also mentioned that the fellowship placement, some of the facilities, and the Emory name were enough to rank them in the top 5. I should mention that, I go to mid-low tier school, so going to Emory is cool :cool:

I'm interviewing there in the near future. I will post a review once I am there. However, from I have heard from people at my school was similar to what you did. They said that the program definitely came across as tough, but no malignant. They also mentioned that the fellowship placement, some of the facilities, and the Emory name were enough to rank them in the top 5. I should mention that, I go to mid-low tier school, so going to Emory is cool :cool:

Thanks man! I got a chance to speak with my cousin who is a Pathologist in Emory and she said she heard the same thing about Int Med although other specialties are treated just as bad (and sometimes worse) over there. I'll probably still go for an interview there since price for a flight isn't that bad and I'll have a free place to stay. Although traveling from Atlanta to NYC right after my interview so I can make it to Cornell the next day is going to blow.

Do not cancel Dartmouth. Quality education, and I cant emphasize on the genuine resident advocacy by their leadership. An excellent place to grow personally and professionally.

The relative rural nature of the geographic location is a plus, you definitely wont be short of great medicine teaching cases there.

They have a great magazine that is fun to read, very informative, and residents get the chance to participate in it.

Besides, NH is sublime.

Damn...this is getting hard. Well, I'm starting to make some travel arrangements and I need help regarding programs to attend. Here is the list of schools I'm having a hard time sorting. Which programs should I absolutely attend? A few quick things. Chicago would be cool to live in, but it's not an absolute must-live city for me. NYC would likewise be great, but cost of living will blow. My Emory, Cornell, and Mt. Sinai interviews are back-to-back so I'm worried about travel and such.

U of Chicago
Northwestern (definitely going to this interview)
Emory
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Dartmouth (same day as Mt. Sinai)

Also, is there a place to find a program's fellowship match list? I'm having a hard time finding it on their website for places like U of Chicago, Mt. Sinai, and Dartmouth. Thanks guys! It's been great reading all these posts during the past couple of months.

with these huge names, I will take a back seat, and let veterans offer their insight!!!

By the way, although its obvious that you are in a tight spot, but hey, i would have LOVED to be in such a tight spot :p :p Such problems are (beautiful) problems :D :D :D

Dartmouth with MSSM is really a bummer!!

U of C in my opinion is a must attend

Thoughts on UAB vs Emory? I cant go to both but right now I am leaning more towards UAB. I just wish I could find their fellowship match list, but I'd imagine its pretty good