which is better for a DIY postbac: soc / psych 200-300, or differential equations, math 300-500+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
My Asian cultural background has always made me see sociology and psychology as "softer" or "less rigorous" compared to say, "harder" math, but I've lately picked up vibes that maybe this is not the right attitude for a postbac? Anyway -- which is more impressive to a DO adcom: taking social psych coursework, etc. or taking differential equations and numerical analysis?

Members don't see this ad.

things to consider: AACOMAS doesn't count math as sGPA. social psych is *potentially* applicable to treating patients and many DO schools have a behavioral science prereq requirement.

for me, it would be which course will be most likely to result in an A. no question there!

Reactions: 1 user
That's useful to know. Thanks! Do sociology courses like "Global inequality" or "Race, Class And Power" look good to admissions committees? I mean it seems a little /political/ as opposed to medical (even if I do lean social justicey) and I love coursework like that I just wasn't sure/

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the type of course has much sway on ADCOMs... just take what you are interested in and get that A.

Reactions: 1 users
My Asian cultural background has always made me see sociology and psychology as "softer" or "less rigorous" compared to say, "harder" math, but I've lately picked up vibes that maybe this is not the right attitude for a postbac? Anyway -- which is more impressive to a DO adcom: taking social psych coursework, etc. or taking differential equations and numerical analysis?
It doesn't matter. Take whatever is most interesting to you, and more importantly, do well.

Reactions: 1 user
It does matter for overall GPAs (cGPA and sGPA), no? If the person wants to raise a respective GPA, the person should take the appropriate courses, no? For example, if you had a science GPA below 3 and wanted to raise it with post bac courses, you wouldn’t take an English course. May be I am off. That’s how I looked at it.

Last edited:
I hope I’m not being perceived as being difficult on purpose, but why am I being consistently being misgendered in this forum? Is taking differential equations and being passionate about the natural sciences seen as an intrinsically male trait? This is so frustrating.

I hope I’m not being perceived as being difficult on purpose, but why am I being consistently being misgendered in this forum? Is taking differential equations and being passionate about the natural sciences seen as an intrinsically male trait? This is so frustrating.
Can you cite an instance in this thread where someone misgendered you? All I see is good advice.

Get the chip off your shoulder.

I keep being referred to as male, even though I’m listed as female in my profile. The erasure of women in math and science is a big issue. Medical providers of all people should be expected to use gender-neutral terms when referring to other forum members. This is as far as I know, basic etiquette. Perhaps I could be wrong. What was your CASPer score again?*

*Not a serious/literal request, except as a request for some basic human decency

Last edited:
I keep being referred to as male, even though I’m listed as female in my profile. The erasure of women in math and science is a big issue. Medical providers of all people should be expected to use gender-neutral terms when referring to other forum members. This is as far as I know, basic etiquette. Perhaps I could be wrong. What was your CASPer score again?*

*Not a serious/literal request, except as a request for some basic human decency
Just like you didn't read my avatar and profile, most SDNers can't be bothered reading other people's. I'm a Faculty member and have no need for CASPer.

I think it's just a default and people have a 50% chance of being right if they typically use "he" when referring to another SDNer.

Never attribute to malice what you can ascribe to mere ignorance.

That it’s seen as the default is actually institutionalized sexism. Of course, you don’t see anything wrong with this because you were admitted to medical school before Roe v. Wade, right?

(Also, I didn’t literally ask for your CASPer. I realize you grew up in a time where women’s rights didn’t exist so of course you couldn’t have had a CASPer.)

Last edited: