Which is better? Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moatazs97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted something similar to this a few weeks back, but I'm going to slightly change it due to the fact that I am becoming increasingly and increasingly stressed about this. I am currently in my senior year of HIGH SCHOOL (I have a hell of a path ahead of me, I know) and I am applying to university. I am being tugged by my parents to apply to the UK/Ireland and then do my residency/work in the US (I am a US citizen).

The reason they are pressuring me into this is due to the fact that they both have friends who have successfully taken this path, albeit in the 90's (I'm assuming things have vastly changed now).

Another reason is fear of the transition from premed to Med School, where if I go to the UK and get accepted, I am bound to graduate with a medical degree, while if I go to the US, do premed, then not get into med school, I am still not a doctor or near being a doctor at all.

I am confident that if I do premed and get good grades (which I believe I am capable of) I will get into MedSchool in the US, esp. considering I am a US citizen. Even if this is not the case, I read a lot in studentdoctor.net regarding how applying for a residency as an IMG, even a US IMG, significantly lowers your chances of receiving a match or even worse, the ability of being sponsored for a H1B visa.

I am being tugged both ways, and frankly losing my mind before even venturing on the long-winded path of medicine, that I so eagerly want to go on.

So what do you think is better/more safe in regards of ultimately becoming a doctor? As a US citizen, is it safer for me to do premed then MedSchool in the US? or is it safer for me to do medicine in the UK/Ireland, get a medical degree, and apply for residency in the US?

Any kind of help is so so so greatly appreciated. I am losing my mind here.

Members don't see this ad.

Do med school in the US if you want to practice here. International medical graduates have a much harder time getting residency in the US even if they're US citizens when compared to people who graduated US medical schools and are US citizens. You will also be competing for the less competitive specialties and residencies.

As long as you make sure that you get good grades and study for the MCAT well, you can get into a US MD school. If you're competitive enough to enter a medical school in Europe as an international student, I have confidence that you can enter med school here.