Which is more important? Submitting early... or adding to experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alfie99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next week I take off to Europe for 7 weeks of travelling! As wonderful and exciting as that is, it presents a dilemma regarding my AMCAS application. I could potentially have my application completely ready to go for June 5th, and find an internet cafe and submit on that day. Once I am back from Europe in the second week of July, I will get my secondaries submitted as fast as possible. My application would be lacking an updated travel experience section (before this trip, my only significant travelling experience was to Italy for a month). Would this type of experience be valuable enough to delay submitting, or is submitting earlier ultimately more important?

I also have plans for a medical volunteering mission for the first two weeks of September... is it worth waiting to submit secondaries after this experience? I don't have anything quite like this on my application.

I think giving you a brief idea of what is already on my work/experiences will be helpful in answer these questions.

1 - Created a Fundraiser that has raised a significant amount of money for cancer research for two years.
2 - Two summers of research experience in a surgery lab
3 - Shadowing (50 hours for now, but ongoing...)
4 - Worked throughout University
5 - Hobbies - guitar, snowboarding, golf, marathon running
6 - Executive member of a Rotary Club (worked on many local events)
7 - Random one time volunteering experiences (about 6 of these...)

Thank you for any feedback. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Next week I take off to Europe for 7 weeks of travelling! As wonderful and exciting as that is, it presents a dilemma regarding my AMCAS application. I could potentially have my application completely ready to go for June 5th, and find an internet cafe and submit on that day. Once I am back from Europe in the second week of July, I will get my secondaries submitted as fast as possible. My application would be lacking an updated travel experience section (before this trip, my only significant travelling experience was to Italy for a month). Would this type of experience be valuable enough to delay submitting, or is submitting earlier ultimately more important?

I also have plans for a medical volunteering mission for the first two weeks of September... is it worth waiting to submit secondaries after this experience? I don't have anything quite like this on my application.

I think giving you a brief idea of what is already on my work/experiences will be helpful in answer these questions.

1 - Created a Fundraiser that has raised a significant amount of money for cancer research for two years.
2 - Two summers of research experience in a surgery lab
3 - Shadowing (50 hours for now, but ongoing...)
4 - Worked throughout University
5 - Hobbies - guitar, snowboarding, golf, marathon running
6 - Executive member of a Rotary Club (worked on many local events)
7 - Random one time volunteering experiences (about 6 of these...)

Thank you for any feedback. Cheers.

Adcoms are unlikely to get excited about your travels in Europe. Submit the application before you go, and then go and enjoy yourself.

No, you do NOT want to apply late. Either pick to send it in early or wait another year (GAP year) to send it in. If you feel like your application would be a whole lot stronger in that year and that you aren't confident that you are competitive enough now, go ahead and wait.

As the others have said, traveling, especially for fun, isn't something incredibly useful for your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just what exactly about this trip do you think is worthy of inclusion on your application to medical school?

As far as your work in September, waiting to submit your app until after that would be a big mistake. If you want to include it, list in now, make it clear that you're doing it in the future, and describe what you expect to be doing.

As far as your work in September, waiting to submit your app until after that would be a big mistake. If you want to include it, list in now, make it clear that you're doing it in the future, and describe what you expect to be doing.

Hmm, I read a message Cat wrote explaining that it is a big no-no to describe future activities?

And I am going to submit early, thank you all.

Hmm, I read a message Cat wrote explaining that it is a big no-no to describe future activities?

And I am going to submit early, thank you all.

Maybe, maybe not - I included my future work on a thesis that I was just beginning as I filled out the AMCAS.

You can include future plans if they are in the works. Apply early - applying late is a great way to waste a year.

So for example I have two research fellowships in the works, one this summer at a school I'll be applying to and another next year at my undergrad. Should I list these? I had also heard that was a big mistake.

Thanks guys!

Don't include it if it isn't a sure thing. This doesn't mean including a fellowship you're sure you'll be selected for, but you might justifiably list a thesis you are currently collecting data for, as NickNaylor did.

TBH I wouldn't even include it unless you've been accepted and plan on doing a program. Even if you think you're a "shoe-in" for a competitive program, listing it and not getting accepted would be a rather big oopsies.