Which is worse for residency applications: low step 1 score or leave of absence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitetopaz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current M2 at USMD. ~3 weeks out from step and got a 175 on NBME 26 (got a 160 on NBME 25 2 weeks ago AKA 5 weeks out from step). Uworld average is ~50% with 75% complete.

I had surgery in the beginning of dedicated (liver transplant for sibling), so I had 6 weeks instead of 10 weeks. My school is giving me 2 options: I can push my step date back by 2 weeks and not have it affect my M3 schedule, or I can take a temporary leave of absence and push my step date back by ~10 weeks. The first option won't affect my ERAS, but PD's will definitely notice if I take the second option, especially since all "leaves of absences" are lumped together and not separated into administrative vs. medical at my school.

Which option is better? In my head, I think it's easier to spin a leave of absence than a low/failing step score, but I really have no idea.

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Failing a board exam is one of the biggest red flags there is for a residency application. Take the LOA, you’re not ready.

Reactions: 10 users
Take the LOA, it may get you screened out at some places but you have a very good explanation for it, so it won't hurt you when you actually get interviews. Low board scores will screen you out and hurt you post-interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you need to take the LOA, you can explain it in ERAS when you apply. “I donated part of my liver” will be sympathetically received by anyone who reads it - so don’t worry.

Reactions: 8 users