Which Job to take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billystinger

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm currently stuck in a situation. I would like advices from you guys as you guys are more experienced than me. I'm currently a college student who wants to become a PT. Right now I have two job offfers as Rehab aides. One is Athletico and the other is Illinois Bone and Joint Institute. Atheltico only deals with PT related but IBJI has PT and OT. I wanna know which would be a better place to work at.

Members don't see this ad.

If it were me I'd work at the one that gave me a better impression as far as the PT's personality and the culture. Also all that other stuff like commute, pay, patient volume, # of fish in waiting room, etc

Are they both solely outpatient orthopedic? If one of them has more settings/patient populations that could be an advantage. For example hand therapy, pediatrics, sports medicine, aquatics; the more of these you are exposed to the better.

As far as the value of one vs. the other because of the presence of OT, I doubt it's important enough to matter for your application. Just be able to explain the difference between a PT and an OT in an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Factors that were important to me as a working college student:
  • Interest in experience/knowledge offered
  • Pay
  • Commute
  • Work environment
Also, if you had to interview for those positions - what did your gut tell you? Both opportunities will probably benefit you if you're setting yourself up for PT school.

I agree with all the posters above. You should also keep in mind about which places can possibly give you the strongest letter of recommendation in the future (aka observe the work environment, etc.), but if you give your best, I'm sure you'll get a strong letter of rec regardless of where you accept.

If one job offers various settings (inpatient/outpatient, neuro, ortho, peds, sport, geriatrics) that's a huge help! Many schools require various and/or specific settings so make sure you have a well rounded observation background.

Reactions: 1 user