Which job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfrey28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working as a floating medical assistant for 2 years now. I have the opportunity to either take a full-time position at an urgent care or take a position as a clinical research assistant. I am currently lacking research experience but don't have all the details on this job. So my question is would it be better to get exposure to research or continue accumulating paid clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the key question:

Do you want to go into medical research?

Don't waste your time if you have no real interest in medical research. Do what would make you happier. Either is good for an application.

I would be interested in doing research during medical school. Possibly clinical research afterwards as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the info given, I'd say go for the research if you can. Research and scribing imo are the two best jobs prior to med school.

Based on the info given, I'd say go for the research if you can. Research and scribing imo are the two best jobs prior to med school.

Second this. Especially if the research job is at a contract research organization (CRO). I worked in Phase I trials for a bit and it gave me some cool experiences and plenty of talking points/a new perspective on some things. Not to mention the money is much better than about 99% of medical assistant jobs out there if the role is similar to the one I had.