Which M.D. Schools Have Mandatory Attendance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shammyguy3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having difficulty narrowing down my list of M.D. schools to apply to; are there any that have mandatory attendance?

1) Michigan St. University
2) Oakland Beaumont
3) University of Vermont
4) University of Toledo
5) University of Iowa
6) University of Kansas
7) University of Wisconsin
8) Wayne St.
9) Wright St.
10) Albany
11) Creighton
12) Drexel
13) Quinnipiac
14) Geisinger
15) George Washington
16) Georgetown
17) Temple
18) New York Medical College
19) Nova Southeastern (M.D.)
20) Penn State
21) Seton Hall
22) St. Louis
23) Thomas Jefferson
24) Tulane
25) Virginia Tech
26) Wake Forest
27) Western Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

About a handful of schools on your list don’t consider OOS students very seriously. For these schools, I would take out the ones for which you don’t have strong ties to the states.

About a handful of schools on your list don’t consider OOS students very seriously. For these schools, I would take out the ones for which you don’t have strong ties to the states.
Could you suggest some OOS-friendly schools? Public or private is ok. I have a similar school list, and I guess OP did the same thing based on the median stats in MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you suggest some OOS-friendly schools? Public or private is ok. I have a similar school list, and I guess OP did the same thing based on the median stats in MSAR.

It is more than just stats. Look at the marticulant data and see the IS vs OOS stuff. MSU is IS biased, as are KU, Iowa, etc.

What state are you from? This matters a lot.

Wayne and Western Mich are both OOS friendly, in my experience. Western Mich is a private med school associated with a public school.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm from IL
As an Illinois resident, don't necessarily throw Iowa out. About 1/3 of the class is OOS and the neighboring states of Illinois and Minnesota account for a good portion of the OOS population. Students from other Midwestern states know how good Iowa's reputation is and are less likely to "turn up their nose" at the idea of living in Iowa - unlike many "coasties". That said, you need real good stats to get into Iowa, assume better than the class average. Last year was the averages were @ 512 MCAT and 3.77 GPA.

EDIT: At Iowa, all lectures are recorded and no mandatory attendance. There are some small and large group sessions and labs where attendance is required. In addition, Creighton and SLU also have a good number of Illinois students. Its seems like there is a good deal of overlap of the applicant pool at Iowa, SLU and Creighton. A number of my classmates and I were accepted at one or both.

Last edited:
As an Illinois resident, don't necessarily throw Iowa out. About 1/3 of the class is OOS and the neighboring states of Illinois and Minnesota account for a good portion of the OOS population. Students from other Midwestern states know how good Iowa's reputation is and are less likely to "turn up their nose" at the idea of living in Iowa - unlike many "coasties". That said, you need real good stats to get into Iowa, assume better than the class average. Last year was the averages were @ 512 MCAT and 3.77 GPA.

EDIT: At Iowa, all lectures are recorded and no mandatory attendance. There are some small and large group sessions and labs where attendance is required. In addition, Creighton and SLU also have a good number of Illinois students. Its seems like there is a good deal of overlap of the applicant pool at Iowa, SLU and Creighton. A number of my classmates and I were accepted at one or both.

I just checked and as an OOS applicant for Iowa, i think i have zero chance. Their median is 516 for OOS acceptees, and om at a 512 and my GPA is on the lower side also (3.5-3.6 overall, 3.3-3.4 science)

Im still hesitant to not apply because my last 40ish science credits im at 3.8 with more than half as a post bac.

Think its worth the money for me? I have 3 plus years of full time work experience in healthcare and have shadowed a family practice dr for 100 hours over the course of a year

I wouldn't narrow your list down based on of if a school has mandatory attendance or not. That is, unless you literally would prefer to not become a doctor than attend a school which had mandatory attendance.

You should be making that decision after you are accepted to multiple schools. Beggars can't be choosers.

Reactions: 3 users
I just checked and as an OOS applicant for Iowa, i think i have zero chance. Their median is 516 for OOS acceptees, and om at a 512 and my GPA is on the lower side also (3.5-3.6 overall, 3.3-3.4 science)

Im still hesitant to not apply because my last 40ish science credits im at 3.8 with more than half as a post bac.

Think its worth the money for me? I have 3 plus years of full time work experience in healthcare and have shadowed a family practice dr for 100 hours over the course of a year

Hard to say - those numbers are a little light for OOS, but not totally out of the realm of possibility. I think the MCAT is close enough, the GPA is of more concern. What I don't know is how admissions looks at significant improvement in the last 40 hours etc. However, they like Midwest students and as I recall the application fee is reasonable and secondary is not absurdly difficult.

Your MCAT is MD worthy, but your GPA could use some help - but there is a turn around story. If you want MD you are going to need to apply to a larger number of schools than other candidates. Someone might like your story, you just don't know who that will be. DO would be another option. I think you would be a strong candidate for many DO schools, though I would probably give MD one cycle before I went down that route.

I wouldn't narrow your list down based on of if a school has mandatory attendance or not. That is, unless you literally would prefer to not become a doctor than attend a school which had mandatory attendance.

You should be making that decision after you are accepted to multiple schools. Beggars can't be choosers.

I get that. But so many of these schools on my list have comparable numbers. And i cant afford to apply to all of them

EDIT: I suggest:

U ILL
0) Albany
12) Drexel
13) Quinnipiac
15) George Washington
16) Georgetown
18) New York Medical College
19) Nova Southeastern (M.D.)
21) Seton Hall
22) St. Louis
24) Tulane
26) Wake Forest
Oakland-B
EVMS
MCW
Loyola
Rush

Seeing your reinvention, if you do well on MCAT (> 514) there are a number of schools to add, as they reward reinvention.

Also add some DO schools. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying to any Illinois schools?

Are you applying to any Illinois schools?
Yes Loyola, Southern, Rush, Rosy Frank, and U of IL. Those are my top 5, so whether they have mandatory attendance or not I plan on applying to them

Reactions: 1 users
Like others have said, it would not be a good idea to forsake schools where you have a reasonable chance of getting in just because they have mandatory attendance. Mandatory school stuff is a drag but ultimately not a big deal. That being said, you might want to check your data on that. I just have a hard time believing that nearly 30 well-respected, established MD schools would have mandatory lectures in this day and age. Is it possible that you're getting mandatory lectures confused with mandatory small groups or something of that nature (which every school has) as opposed to straight-up 3-4 hours per day of mandatory lectures?

Like others have said, it would not be a good idea to forsake schools where you have a reasonable chance of getting in just because they have mandatory attendance. Mandatory school stuff is a drag but ultimately not a big deal. That being said, you might want to check your data on that. I just have a hard time believing that nearly 30 well-respected, established MD schools would have mandatory lectures in this day and age. Is it possible that you're getting mandatory lectures confused with mandatory small groups or something of that nature (which every school has) as opposed to straight-up 3-4 hours per day of mandatory lectures?

I think there is some confusion here. I was wondering if any of the schools i posted in the OP are mandatory.

If 1 of those 20+ schools (which are relatively similar stat wise) is mandatory, then i wont apply there because i have limited funds. Just wondering because im having difficulty narrowing it down

Drexel has no lecture at all. But other mandatory activities/labs/tbls throughout the week.

my last 40ish science credits im at 3.8 with more than half as a post bac.

What I don't know is how admissions looks at significant improvement in the last 40 hours etc.

I am in the same boat too. But I think high post-bac grades can only help you. Hopefully someone out there would value the extra work we put in during post-bac.

If you're not from southern ILL, skip SIU.

Really? Im from Chicago, but thought my 512 MCAT would be enough to potentially get an interview? Thats their 75th percentile for accepted students, but for matriculants it would be 90th percentile according to MSAR

Do you think its still a waste of money sending an app their way?

Really? Im from Chicago, but thought my 512 MCAT would be enough to potentially get an interview? Thats their 75th percentile for accepted students, but for matriculants it would be 90th percentile according to MSAR

Do you think its still a waste of money sending an app their way?
They have a very specific mission to train doctors from and for the Southern ILL region.

They have a very specific mission to train doctors from and for the Southern ILL region.
Okay, thanks for the input. Ill remove it from my list which is too long to begin with lol